Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Since I was one who questioned Billiken Bob when he first said that, I will say I am still confused by it.  Scott Burgess and Earl Austin Jr tweeted it and both are generally reliable.  I believe Pickett even retweeted that he had an offer.  Frank, who has been plugged in recently with recruits (Goodwin and Gordon), said it and talked about SLU having good chance of getting him.  

Pelican does have good info so no reason not to trust him on the no offer but that being said, it was just April 18th he posted to expect commitment from JP by end of the week and after that posted about how the visit from Pickett was good and he heard that from both sides but concern was with playing time.  Obviously there were a lot of signs for why it seems he had an offer at least at one point. 

I do like the idea of saving one for a 2018 kid though too.  

Yep. That was the feeling then; things came up about PT, expectations, etc and they were not on the same wavelength. Amazing what happens when you sitdown and have a discussion in depth about what your expectations are and what is expected of you. Sometimes when the rubber hits the road there is no real traction. Sorry guys... If things change I'll keep you posted. 

Next year's class seems to be the new priority at this point. 

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Grad transfers from SEMO and D2 - not very exciting.  I guess if all you need are bodies for fodder practice but how much could they really help at that level player.

what would gillmann and neufeld have been?   this time of year to get an impact signee is tough with the big boys filling out their rosters.   the way I look at it, a grad transfer is a one year spot  and if only a practice player (which is what gillmann would have been), now we can concentrate on getting a higher profile high school signee over the summer for 2018.  I actually fear signing a high school player just to use the scholarship and that player then is committed for 4 years and doesn't really elevate the roster.    

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Grad transfers from SEMO and D2 - not very exciting.  I guess if all you need are bodies for fodder practice but how much could they really help at that level player.

I wouldn't expect an "exciting" grad transfer at this point. I would be happy with a Corey Remekun level depth player. It's better than "saving" an open scholarship. Might as well use it and whoever it is will at least be an upgrade over Gillmann. With Foreman and Welmer coming back from injuries, I think it would be wise to get a one-year stop-gap, rather than take on a freshman who may not have much of a future with Santos and Gordon on the horizon.

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what would gillmann and neufeld have been?   this time of year to get an impact signee is tough with the big boys filling out their rosters.   the way I look at it, a grad transfer is a one year spot  and if only a practice player (which is what gillmann would have been), now we can concentrate on getting a higher profile high school signee over the summer for 2018.  I actually fear signing a high school player just to use the scholarship and that player then is committed for 4 years and doesn't really elevate the roster.    

+1 agree with this

1 hour ago, The Pelican said:

Yep. That was the feeling then; things came up about PT, expectations, etc and they were not on the same wavelength. Amazing what happens when you sitdown and have a discussion in depth about what your expectations are and what is expected of you. Sometimes when the rubber hits the road there is no real traction. Sorry guys... If things change I'll keep you posted. 

I like your description of the rubber hitting the road and finding no traction. So be it. Off we go in a different direction.

5 hours ago, The Pelican said:

Bad fit, huh?  Good info Pelican..thanks.  Any word on where Pickett might be headed?

Edited by Coach314
Typo

23 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What the heck does it mean, "...way too good for SIU"?  If SLU fans take that snobbish attitude towards a mid-major school, then they have no right to complain when power-conference schools' fans leverage a similar attitude towards SLU.  I guess oppression is that stuff that rolls downhill.

Monday morning methmouth, methinks.

SIU-CSUCKS.

16 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I know Gilmann and Neufeld would not have been any help but given that they are gone it is moot to bring them up.  I get the thing about a grad transfer being only a one year commitment.  All I was trying to say that a grad transfer of the caliber that some were talking about is not anything to cheer about.

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I think it should be noted that a grad transfer would only be worth it if they can come on the team and get very solid playing time. If not, we would be better off getting a transfer 

At this point, we have two open scholarships. One of those will need to go to one of our 2018 commits. If our other open scholarship goes to a grad transfer (Hines for example) it will allow us to get a 3rd 2018 commit. Considering we are still extending offers to 2018 players, that appears to the be the plan.

So I could see something like this playing out...

2017-18: Roby graduates, Hines given a scholarship and graduates, yet to be named grad transfer graduates

Those three are replaced in 2018-19 season with: Gordon, Thatch and a recruit TBD

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I think it should be noted that a grad transfer would only be worth it if they can come on the team and get very solid playing time. If not, we would be better off getting a transfer 

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I know Gilmann and Neufeld would not have been any help but given that they are gone it is moot to bring them up.  I get the thing about a grad transfer being only a one year commitment.  All I was trying to say that a grad transfer of the caliber that some were talking about is not anything to cheer about.

There are some kids at the D2 level that can play.  We don't need a star, but just someone that can hold their own at the 5 for a season.  A competent player is something to cheer about.

And we're only talking about one year.  Basically, whoever you get just has to be better at playing center than Gillman and the team is improved.  Then the guy graduates the same time Gillman would have and we are in the same position.  I definitely think we need to go the grad transfer route.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

There are some kids at the D2 level that can play.  We don't need a star, but just someone that can hold their own at the 5 for a season.  A competent player is something to cheer about.

Can a D 2 grad transfer make the jump to D1? If so, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

35 minutes ago, ACE said:

Can a D 2 grad transfer make the jump to D1? If so, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Duncan Robinson of Michigan comes to mind right away, although I think he came from D3 and he was a regular transfer. 

If all we are really trying to get is a guy to warm the bench for 1 year, appropriate for practice, occasional use in the court, andwho happens to be better than Gillmann, there should be no lack of such people around. Kameron Rooks will do just fine.

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

"Kameron Rooks Transfer List: Gonzaga, SDSU, UCONN, St. Johns, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa St, SLU, Clemson #college"

7-1 center from CAL. averaged 4.9 & 4.5 last season. Junior

A LOT of competition for him. Pretty impressive we made the list.