Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Sorry, I don't need your advice. You were trying to be a smart ass, and succeeded. You, just recently called me a liar when I mentioned that Coach Ford was excited about Elliott Welmer's potential. I guess you were just trying to be helpful then as well. 

Now, let me give you some advice. Learn to respect other's and you will be respected back. 

Sorry, but as one of favorite posters recently wrote, "I don't need your advice."

Also, I don't intend to look at old posts, but I doubt I called you a liar 

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

Sorry, but as one of favorite posters recently wrote, "I don't need your advice."

Also, I don't intend to look at old posts, but I doubt I called you a liar 

I will help you out...you did.  You seem to go out of your way to antagonize people with smart ass remarks.  Why don't you try some common courtesy...it will go a long way.

I do not see Mr. Pickett coming because he will not get much playing time and may be asked to redshirt.  Hold on to the scholarship for a transfer or use it for 2018.

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What the heck does it mean, "...way too good for SIU"?  If SLU fans take that snobbish attitude towards a mid-major school, then they have no right to complain when power-conference schools' fans leverage a similar attitude towards SLU.  I guess oppression is that stuff that rolls downhill.

Ok I'll try a more glass half full attitude...I thought he was a steal for SIU and I was surprised bigger fish hadn't lured him away.  Not sure of his other offers at the time or how early he committed though.  Sure someone will research that if we continue to recruit him. 

9 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

Like @BillikenBob stated he wasn't offered. Looking at a grad transfer and the next class. 

???

I believe you, kinda. I'm guessing he was offered some sort of conditional scholarship (I.e. He must redshirt). 

1 hour ago, The Pelican said:

Like @BillikenBob stated he wasn't offered. Looking at a grad transfer and the next class. 

Glad to hear it. A grad transfer makes sense with the way this roster is constructed. Not sure why a few folks got worked up when I suggested the idea earlier.

Just some MBM spitballing here, but Joel Angus is a grad transfer from SEMO. Missed this past season with an injury, but the prior year averaged 10 ppg, 6 rpg.  He's from Brooklyn, so of course that means Macon may be aware of him. Went to the Putnam Science Academy - I think we have been recruiting other players from there? 

With Welmer possibly late to start the season, this is the kind of kid who fits the profile of a player who could provide some front court depth.

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

Glad to hear it. A grad transfer makes sense with the way this roster is constructed. Not sure why a few folks got worked up when I suggested the idea earlier.

Completely agree, a grad transfer big would be a really nice fit (postionally and scholarship wise) and would make me go back and change my initial reactionary posts concerning the transfer we took.

6 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

ouch. knowing that, some posters above look like some pretty big MBMs

Since I was one who questioned Billiken Bob when he first said that, I will say I am still confused by it.  Scott Burgess and Earl Austin Jr tweeted it and both are generally reliable.  I believe Pickett even retweeted that he had an offer.  Frank, who has been plugged in recently with recruits (Goodwin and Gordon), said it and talked about SLU having good chance of getting him.  

Pelican does have good info so no reason not to trust him on the no offer but that being said, it was just April 18th he posted to expect commitment from JP by end of the week and after that posted about how the visit from Pickett was good and he heard that from both sides but concern was with playing time.  Obviously there were a lot of signs for why it seems he had an offer at least at one point. 

I do like the idea of saving one for a 2018 kid though too.  

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

Just some MBM spitballing here, but Joel Angus is a grad transfer from SEMO. Missed this past season with an injury, but the prior year averaged 10 ppg, 6 rpg.  He's from Brooklyn, so course that means Macon may be aware of him. Went to the Putnam Science Academy - I think we have been recruiting other players from there? 

With Welmer possibly late to start the season, this is the kind of kid who fits the profile of a player who could provide some front court depth.

It'll be much less exciting. 

Using Verbal Commits as the source of information, there are three listed "Immediately Eligible Centers" still out there, 6'8" Atewe from Washington, 7'0" Griciunas from Charlotte, and 7'0" Rooks from Cal.  There are a number of Immediately Eligible Power Forwards" I'm not sure we need another PF at this time, with Foreman, French, Bess and Welmer and at times Johnson all able to fill that role. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Using Verbal Commits as the source of information, there are three listed "Immediately Eligible Centers" still out there, 6'8" Atewe from Washington, 7'0" Griciunas from Charlotte, and 7'0" Rooks from Cal.  There are a number of Immediately Eligible Power Forwards" I'm not sure we need another PF at this time, with Foreman, French, Bess and Welmer and at times Johnson all able to fill that role. 

Bess is a 3 and maybe a stretch 4. Zero reasons not to grab another PF. We also don't know how long Welmer's 2nd injury will set him back. Last time he had an entire year to recover. We don't need a true 5 but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.