Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

33 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I'm normally jacked up after recruits commit, but this one has me scratching my head a little.  I confess, I have not SEENTHEKIDPLAY, but Santos' stats are mediocre for a bad team. He doesn't help us this year and will just be taking a scholly from a potential freshman or someone in 2018.  It's also a little concerning in regards to a few existing players/recruits.

One, he appears to be a similar player as Foreman.  Is there ongoing concern about Foreman's long-term health. The same can be asked about Welmer.  Given his health problems, is there a chance he may not be here long-term.  I hope not because I think he offers something different - a good shooting big.

You're just being greedy.  Our fifth best big in 2018 is a 6'8 260 lb hulk who was top 150 high school player and a rotation player at another mid-major program.  The fifth best big on virtually every other team in the A-10 is a skinny freshman who will be transferring to a low-major in two years. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I'm normally jacked up after recruits commit, but this one has me scratching my head a little.  I confess, I have not SEENTHEKIDPLAY, but Santos' stats are mediocre for a bad team. He doesn't help us this year and will just be taking a scholly from a potential freshman or someone in 2018.  It's also a little concerning in regards to a few existing players/recruits.

One, he appears to be a similar player as Foreman.  Is there ongoing concern about Foreman's long-term health. The same can be asked about Welmer.  Given his health problems, is there a chance he may not be here long-term.  I hope not because I think he offers something different - a good shooting big.

Last, and probably the biggest leap, does this raise any concern about Gordon's commitment? Is the staff hedging their bets a little to make sure they have another inside player if Gordon decommits?

Fair concerns, but prior to this commitment, we only have 2 (maybe 3) guys on the roster who can play the 4 or 5.  At a minimum, we needed depth at the 4/5 spot in a big way.  

7 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

Guys who don't start come off the bench.  He won't be playing for a year so who knows what will happen between now and then?  But for today, based on his mediocre numbers on a crappy team I don't see him as a starter.  Since you apparently are a big SF Bulls fan, have seen all his games and have him penciled in as an all of a sudden big time starter please enlighten us further.  Hilarious...

I have seen him exactly zero times, likely same as you.  I have seen his stats.  I have seen Foreman's stats and Bess's stats and Graves stats and Henriquez stats.  If we want to go by stats (yes I am probably the one most guilty of this) then only Henriquez is worth getting excited about. I have penciled Santos in for nothing more than a spot on the roster.  Same for Foreman, Bess, Henriquez, Graves, French and Goodwin.  You seem to already know Santos is better or worse than players he likely saw for the first time this weekend and two freshmen he has never seen.

Wait and see.  Who will transfer out after next season?  Who will or won't sign a NLI?  Who is going to get injured next season and might not be available until 2nd semester? 

To already have the bench lined out for 18/19, well, if you are that good, a much more important question is what will the Dow be in October, 2019?  Ford will figure this out.  And, yes, your opinion is fine. Everyone has one.   I just find it very premature.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

Fair concerns, but prior to this commitment, we only have 2 (maybe 3) guys on the roster who can play the 4 or 5.  At a minimum, we needed depth at the 4/5 spot in a big way.  

Size matters at this level. You can be tall but if you don't have some size it's a problem. Also, a guy like this needs some help from the other four which was not really there. This will be a totally different fit and result. 

I bet he won't shoot it over the backboard - just some perspective for those that are concerned and worried...

46 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Santos took Gillmans scholarship. Sits out a year and is eligible for next year due to the opening of gillmans scholarship. The other 2 remaining will go to freshmen or another transfer. At least that is how I think of it

The odd thing with those other 2 scholarships for this coming season and if we use both, unless one of those is a graduate transfer, we will be over committed on paper for 2018-19 (since the only senior is Roby). I like that we added a big, but think it made more sense for that big to be available to play this coming season.

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

The odd thing with those other 2 scholarships for this coming season is that unless they are graduate transfers, we will be over committed on paper for 2018-19 (since the only senior is Roby). I like that we added a big, but think it made more sense for that big to be available to play this coming season.

We only need one of the next two to be a graduate transfer to still have the right number for 2018.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

So you saw his games at USF?  A big Bull's fan?  Already relegated him to the bench.  Hilarious.

Here is my stance.  Don't get excited about Santos, or Foreman, or Henriquez, or Bess or Graves or French or Goodwin until you see them play at least a couple of college games in a Billiken uniform.

You are 100 percent correct about not being excited until the kids are in uniform but i cannot help myself with my excitement with Goodwin and French.

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Santos took Gillmans scholarship. Sits out a year and is eligible for next year due to the opening of gillmans scholarship. The other 2 remaining will go to freshmen or another transfer. At least that is how I think of it

That puts you at one over the limit with only one graduating player next season and the Gordon and thatch commitments. So either there is another transfer or you only sign one more this season.