Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slusam said:

Seton Hall got a commit from a 6'10" power forward. I wonder if that pushes Whaley to us? The only one making a prediction on 247 has him coming to SLU.

That's a good question. Seton Hall has 2 scholarships available after this commitment. I know a guard is a priority with at least one of those. They probably have room for another big man, but this certainly crowds things up a bit more.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

Not sure it has been confirmed, but since it has been speculated about on the board, this espn article re: transfers has Gillman leaving:  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19187379/where-college-basketball-best-transfers-going-2017-18-season

Interesting, they list one guy who we had not heard any public confirmation of transferring and not the two guys who we have been told are leaving (Neufeld and Moore).

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

We need @The Pelican to finish unpacking and deliver good news.

Here is the scoop...

Visit went great and both sides feel this way. I'm hearing this from both sides. PT is the biggest issue at the played position as if will be earned and most likely shared to a decent degree.

The rub is this: do you want to be a part of something special especially with a group of locals (in your front yard) and make a memorable four years with some NCAA runs; or, be a big fish in a small pond (instant starter with tons of PT somewhat close to home). 

The staff still feels really good about JP. With 3 to give and plenty of visits coming in there will be slots filled. This will ultimately come down to whether JP wants to be a part of a winner with opportunity to be a main contributor or does he want to be a main contributor with a questionable chance of winner. We will see which is more important to him...

Pelican's account sounds a lot like what I've heard.  I think we have a better than 50-50 shot at Picket; actually it's uncanny because I was just signing on to say this, and to say that we should also add another big in the next few days, from what I'm hearing -- along with one other item:

I'm hearing that Gillman's scholly is considered open but he intends to stay and graduate from SLU, so he will not transfer.  Not sure if he intends to play or not -- anyone??  Bueller?? (He'd be a good practice body and he knows the system, but I would totally understand if he did not want to play...)

postcript:  I was glad to see Zeke's dad on here and welcomed his comments.  I enjoyed having Zeke and saw awesome improvement from him.  I saw him attempt defense in October and it was so high school it was an embarrassment.  He really improved and I wish him well at his next school, where he can get lots of minutes and score a lot of points.  My be wishes from a grateful fan, thanks Zeke!!!

1 minute ago, The Pelican said:

Here is the scoop...

Visit went great and both sides feel this way. I'm hearing this from both sides. PT is the biggest issue at the played position as if will be earned and most likely shared to a decent degree.

The rub is this: do you want to be a part of something special especially with a group of locals (in your front yard) and make a memorable four years with some NCAA runs; or, be a big fish in a small pond (instant starter with tons of PT somewhat close to home). 

The staff still feels really good about JP. With 3 to give and plenty of visits coming in there will be slots filled. This will ultimately come down to whether JP wants to be a part of a winner with opportunity to be a main contributor or does he want to be a main contributor with a questionable chance of winner. We will see which is more important to him...

Thanks for the info, I guess this confirms AG is gone, which is not a surprise. Any possibility of a grad transfer with the AG spot?

Regarding playing time, it is great that we are back to a situation where kids will really have to compete for it. I want kids who believe they are good enough to earn playing time and not expect it to be handed to them. I think there is still an opportunity for a wing (3) to come in and earn some PT if they are good enough.

Which of the bigs do you feel is the biggest priority?

9 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

Here is the scoop...

Good stuff.  Makes sense for what I think most of us were thinking could be hang up. Are they still thinking he'll make a decision by end of week?  

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

He did. I find it kind of disingenuous that Gillmann no longer being under scholarship is the key factor in SLU being back involved with Tilmon.

you have my attention

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

you have my attention

Frank thinks that SLU is now at least a factor with Tilmon and Charlie Tuna just said he might be leaning towards SLU. Apparently the family wants him close and mentioned the cost of travel being an issue, so that would seem to make SLU and Mizzou the most likely options. I just think tying it to the Gillmann situation is disingenuous, like we weren't interested until that happened. 

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Frank thinks that SLU is now at least a factor with Tilmon and Charlie Tuna just said he might be leaning towards SLU. Apparently the family wants him close and mentioned the cost of travel being an issue, so that would seem to make SLU and Mizzou the most likely options. I just think tying it to the Gillmann situation is disingenuous, like we weren't interested until that happened. 

Maybe the conversation was leaning AG to pursue a GA program or something in the coaching side of thing so his scholarship would be available to Tilmon; AG being a team guy probably knew his playing days were coming to an end, yet wanted to stay involved with the game/program... 

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Frank suggested it was tied to Gillman leaving? If so, Frank should be smarter than that.