Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

This is right, I think. I'm from Omaha and the same thing happens with Nebraska fans. They get really butthurt that Creighton outperforms them every year in basketball. 

My old high school football coach, Tim Heinz, who slept with a picture of Tom Osborne and claimed to have Tommie Frazier's house number, once told me Nebraska athletics (maybe aside from their women's volleyball program and baseball team) is irrelevant from January to August. Any truths to the rumor?

Billiken05 and the others, I will say that you are wrong again. The only people who say starting doesn't matter are people who don't start or coaches trying to keep bench impact players happy. There is a direct correlation between higher minutes played and starting/bench. Starting doesn't mean everything but you put your best guys in the beginning. All you were doing was providing examples of good players off the bench, not players who dominated minutes 

6 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Billiken05 and the others, I will say that you are wrong again. The only people who say starting doesn't matter are people who don't start or coaches trying to keep bench impact players happy. There is a direct correlation between higher minutes played and starting/bench. Starting doesn't mean everything but you put your best guys in the beginning. All you were doing was providing examples of good players off the bench, not players who dominated minutes 

You've shown no evidence to support your opinion and we've shown evidence. If you want to converse with adults use evidence to support your assertions.

14 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

My old high school football coach, Tim Heinz, who slept with a picture of Tom Osborne and claimed to have Tommie Frazier's house number, once told me Nebraska athletics (maybe aside from their women's volleyball program and baseball team) is irrelevant from January to August. Any truths to the rumor?

Lol if you have to ask, I think that's your answer. I'd argue that they're also honestly pretty irrelevant during football season compared to the TO years at least. And Nebrasketball sucks, but that doesn't stop people in Omaha from hating Creighton. 

29 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Lol if you have to ask, I think that's your answer. I'd argue that they're also honestly pretty irrelevant during football season compared to the TO years at least. And Nebrasketball sucks, but that doesn't stop people in Omaha from hating Creighton. 

LOL nice! I've never heard that one before. Classic.

14 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

@Glorydays2013 FYI, Here is the 12-13 SLU MPG - Starters were Mitchell, McCall, Barnett, Evans, Loe and is viewed as one of the best teams in recent program history, if not the best. 

slu1213.png

So Ellis was not a starter yet had more minutes than Loe.  Shows you something about starting right?

You guys go berzerk for the most average glorydays posts. Of course there are instances where bench players get more floor time than starters. It happens. I'm guesssing being a no-nonsense legend like Majerus afforded him a little more sway when dropping the "starting is for HS" line, and getting kids on board, compared to when other coaches spin it. 

Most kids would prefer to start rather than come off the bench (duh), and starters usually get the most minutes... I do not need evidence to know this. I watch basketball. That's basically all he said. 

The dumb back and forths just to do battle with glory are bananas 

11 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

You guys go berzerk for the most average glorydays posts. Of course there are instances where bench players get more floor time than starters. It happens. I'm guesssing being a no-nonsense legend like Majerus afforded him a little more sway when dropping the "starting is for HS" line, and getting kids on board, compared to when other coaches spin it. 

Most kids would prefer to start rather than come off the bench (duh), and starters usually get the most minutes... I do not need evidence to know this. I watch basketball. That's basically all he said. 

The dumb back and forths just to do battle with glory are bananas 

This

I love how he says the only people who say starting doesn't matter are coaches trying to keep impact bench players happy, as if that somehow makes the sentiment wrong or untrue. Yeah, it's only brilliant basketball savants like Rick Majerus who say that, and what the hell do they know anyway?

My thoughts are if it is Hughes, he red shirts because of the transfer, if it is Pickett, he redshirts. Freshmen like Goodwin and French are in a position to be immediate impact players due to size and having the highest skill level. Pickett is going to be a freshmen on a stacked team much different position than when players like Johnson and Welmer freshmen. They had to play big minutes even when they weren't ready yet due to roster limitations, next year that will not be an issue. 

5 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

My thoughts are if it is Hughes, he red shirts because of the transfer, if it is Pickett, he redshirts. Freshmen like Goodwin and French are in a position to be immediate impact players due to size and having the highest skill level. Pickett is going to be a freshmen on a stacked team much different position than when players like Johnson and Welmer freshmen. They had to play big minutes even when they weren't ready yet due to roster limitations, next year that will not be an issue. 

Why would Pickett redshirt? Did I miss something but didn't he avg 25 a game in high school? I was not aware we had enough talent to where we can start red shirting talent. I am sure this is a selling point not to red shirt. 

23 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Why would Pickett redshirt? Did I miss something but didn't he avg 25 a game in high school? I was not aware we had enough talent to where we can start red shirting talent. I am sure this is a selling point not to red shirt. 

Interesting point

32 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Just uninformed board posters...........

27 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

I apologize but I thought people were talking earlier about how Ford red shirts players for later. I forgot who mentioned it. My only thought was we realistically have 8-9 players to get solid minutes. Pickett is really good but he has Goodwin, and older guards like Bess, Adonys, Roby, graves and bishop competing for PT. So he would be the 7th guard in the rotation. 

2 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I apologize but I thought people were talking earlier about how Ford red shirts players for later. I forgot who mentioned it. My only thought was we realistically have 8-9 players to get solid minutes. Pickett is really good but he has Goodwin, and older guards like Bess, Adonys, Roby, graves and bishop competing for PT. So he would be the 7th guard in the rotation. 

That is ridiculous.   Are you the Coach?  Let's see how it plays out.

17 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

If you watched the team last season Ford played 3 and at times 4 on the perimeter. Graves isn't eligible until second semester.  Numbers aren't what you think they are. 

Sorry DesmetBilliken - the computer  gremlins are back at it again - this has nothing to do with you..

While I agree that message boards are for people to express their thoughts I do not agree that anybody can post anything that they might dream up and expect people to take them seriously.  Nonsensical postings do not get the same value as one that is not.  The Picket post about him being red shirted is a good example of this - he signed a LOI with IL which until Groce's firing had a very highly rated recruiting class.  When Pickett opted out of his letter he certainly did not do it so he could red shirt anywhere - common sense dictates that that would be just a nonsensical thought.  At some point the "everybody is entitled to their opinion" attitude has to be viewed as not appropriate for every opinion just the ones that actually at least make some semblance of sense.