Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We should start antagonizing the Illinois faithful to get them to pressure Underwood to condition his release on not going to a Power 5 conference.

Don't believe you can condition a NLI release.  The school either grants it or it doesn't and the kid has to sit out a year.  

3 minutes ago, hoppybeer said:

6'9" 200 lb  2.5 star (for GD17's personal edification)

Can't find much more information than that on him.

The big man is doing a post-grad year at Mount Zion in Maryland, and has made the most of it. Early on in his career, Whaley was a face-up four man who floated a little too much and didn't use his size to the fullest. Even then, he was one of the most promising prospects at Future150 National All-American Camp his sophomore year. Now, that has changed, as he has added a post game and become a better rebounder. 

"I feel like I've gotten stronger and improved my motor, which is helping my rebounding, and I think I've improved as a shooter" Whaley said of his game. 

Memphis, NC State, Providence, and Georgia have all been actively recruiting him this fall, with NC State being the only one yet to offer him. Seton Hall made a point to watch him at The City Legendz Invitational last weekend. 

Isaiah Whaley - PF, 6-9, 200 - Gastonia, NC (Mount Zion Prep, MD) - Twitter: @isaiahwhaley

Offers: Fordham, Seton Hall, Providence, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Memphis, Charlotte, East Carolina, MTSU, Nevada, UNC-Wilmington, Appalachian State, Towson, Western Carolina, South Carolina State.

Interest: SLU, Xavier, Georgetown, DePaul, Virginia, NC State, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Baylor, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington State, Temple, South Florida, Old Dominion.

Latest News: Whaley is taking an official visit to SLU this weekend. SLU had first been out to see him in December. (4/7/17)

Scouting Report: Whaley loves to play in transition, finishes strong at the rim, and blocks shots at the other end. He can shoot it enough to stretch defenses, but not consistently. He was considered just a face-up forward out of HS but has added more of a post game and rebounding presence since taking a prep year at Mount Zion. He still needs to add to his frame

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Isaiah Whaley - PF, 6-9, 200 - Gastonia, NC (Mount Zion Prep, MD) - Twitter: @isaiahwhaley

Offers: Fordham, Seton Hall, Providence, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Memphis, Charlotte, East Carolina, MTSU, Nevada, UNC-Wilmington, Appalachian State, Towson, Western Carolina, South Carolina State.

Interest: SLU, Xavier, Georgetown, DePaul, Virginia, NC State, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Baylor, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington State, Temple, South Florida, Old Dominion.

Latest News: Whaley is taking an official visit to SLU this weekend. SLU had first been out to see him in December. (4/7/17)

Scouting Report: Whaley loves to play in transition, finishes strong at the rim, and blocks shots at the other end. He can shoot it enough to stretch defenses, but not consistently. He was considered just a face-up forward out of HS but has added more of a post game and rebounding presence since taking a prep year at Mount Zion. He still needs to add to his frame

Whenever a scouting report starts by saying that a kid loves to play in transition, I get concerned.  Seems like all AAU kids love to play in transition.  I would prefer thinks like "great mid range shot." "great post moves," or "tenacious rebounder."  Being great in transition doesn't necessarily translate well to the college game other than showing that a kid has some athleticism.  When I watched the Final Four, I didn't think once "wow, that kid is great in transition."

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Whenever a scouting report starts by saying that a kid loves to play in transition, I get concerned.  Seems like all AAU kids love to play in transition.  I would prefer thinks like "great mid range shot." "great post moves," or "tenacious rebounder."  Being great in transition doesn't necessarily translate well to the college game other than showing that a kid has some athleticism.  When I watched the Final Four, I didn't think once "wow, that kid is great in transition."

I am willing to challenge this theory by Ford continually recruiting 6'9 athletes who like to play in transistion, and then seeing where the chips fall

The terms "great mid range shot." "great post moves," or "tenacious rebounder." sound like Gillman, Jolly, and Reggie's scouting reports respectively. 

I agree with what you are saying.  I just think every AAU kid with a little bit of talent could be described as "love playing the transition game."  I certainly want to recruit tall, athletic kids.  I just don't want their primary attribute to be that he loves running the fast break.  That skill isn't as useful in college, where teams actually play defense, as it is in AAU ball.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I know what you mean, and in his case it's not just an AAU thing. I think the knock on him out of HS is that he was strictly a face-up player, uncomfortable with the half-court game or in the post. He seems to have done a lot to work on this during his prep year, and is a bit more well-rounded now.

As expected, we're starting to get new names in the last two days that we haven't seen yet. I'm trying to get a handle on who these guys are with limited time and exposure. Bear with me.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with what you are saying.  I just think every AAU kid with a little bit of talent could be described as "love playing the transition game."  I certainly want to recruit tall, athletic kids.  I just don't want their primary attribute to be that he loves running the fast break.  That skill isn't as useful in college, where teams actually play defense, as it is in AAU ball.

Would you rather have the 6'7 guy with good post moves and limited athleticism or the skinny 6'9 kid who can block some shots and score on put backs?  Because that's the choice you're often forced to make in April.