RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on a Minnesota message board today

Ryan James @RyanJamesMN 6h6 hours ago

PF Hasahn French will not be visiting Minnesota this weekend. He had been scheduled for an official visit this weekend.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels 7h7 hours ago

35 minutes ago, billikentim said:

Saw this on a Minnesota message board today

Ryan James @RyanJamesMN 6h6 hours ago

PF Hasahn French will not be visiting Minnesota this weekend. He had been scheduled for an official visit this weekend.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels 7h7 hours ago

Wow.  This is a big development.

42 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

For what it's worth, a writer for Minnesota Insider has just predicted French will commit to SLU on the 247 site.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Corey Evans also picked the Billikens (on September 5th) and he is one of the more plugged in guys on that site. Of the 5 predictions, 2 for SLU, 2 for Minnesota (who appears to have pulled out), and 1 for Marquette. Definitely trending in a positive direction.

I don't want anyone peeing their pants on this:  but I've heard from someone who really knows about this guy: 

don't be surprised if we get a commit soon.  just sayin' and take it for what it's worth.  Source tells me we have a very good inside track on French, and he would be a perfect complement for Goodwin...

Here is further info:  (how does a teenaged Draymon Green in Billiken blue sound to y'all??)  ((despite the new frowning mascot))

the 6-7 Middletown, N.Y. native is an enforcer inside. His athleticism and ball skills are also a match-up problem for bigger post players. French's combination of power (almost 240 pounds), length (7-1 wingspan) and toughness should allow him to be ready to play immediately as a freshman.

"He's got a little bit of (former Connecticut star) Jeff Adrien and a little bit of Draymond Green in him," Bergeron said. "The kid steps out and shoots the ball very well. He goes off the dribble. He's a lefty. His standing reach is very, very high. His first, second and third jumps are all equal. He's very athletic. College ready body at 237 pounds. So he's very strong but he's fast. He's not super quick laterally. But he's fast. He can put it on the floor and go by people. So he's a real matchup problem." 

26 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I don't want anyone peeing their pants on this:  but I've heard from someone who really knows about this guy: 

don't be surprised if we get a commit soon.  just sayin' and take it for what it's worth.  Source tells me we have a very good inside track on French, and he would be a perfect complement for Goodwin...

Here is further info:  (how does a teenaged Draymon Green in Billiken blue sound to y'all??)  ((despite the new frowning mascot))

the 6-7 Middletown, N.Y. native is an enforcer inside. His athleticism and ball skills are also a match-up problem for bigger post players. French's combination of power (almost 240 pounds), length (7-1 wingspan) and toughness should allow him to be ready to play immediately as a freshman.

"He's got a little bit of (former Connecticut star) Jeff Adrien and a little bit of Draymond Green in him," Bergeron said. "The kid steps out and shoots the ball very well. He goes off the dribble. He's a lefty. His standing reach is very, very high. His first, second and third jumps are all equal. He's very athletic. College ready body at 237 pounds. So he's very strong but he's fast. He's not super quick laterally. But he's fast. He can put it on the floor and go by people. So he's a real matchup problem." 

That sounds nice.

So Marquette and Minnesota were his other scheduled visits besides SLU, and after he was at MU, they get two other PF commits and before he goes to UM, they get another PF commit. Yeah, that looks really good for us. I guess he could always visit the other three - VCU, UMass, UNLV - but like billikentim says, VCU just put another PF in their column. I feel good about this one. Good news, guys- thanks for sharing.

56 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Should we be concerned at all that these other schools are choosing other PFs over French or are they seeing that French is leaning toward SLU and moving on to other options?

No.

Ikechukwu Eke and Theo John are the bigs who committed to Marquette. John is a fringe-top 100 player and Eke is just a bit outside. These are comparable recruits to French. It's possible that Marquette prioritized them over French for some reason, but it's also possible that they simply committed first.

As for Minnesota, the new commit is a guard so it's not necessarily that he took French's spot from a position standpoint. That was, however, Minnesota's last scholarship for 2017, so without a known transfer at this point, they'd be oversubscribed with a French commitment.

Sometimes rankings can react to these things and make assumptions that French is maybe worth bumping below the other guys. As far as I'm concerned, this does not impact how we should feel about him. Plenty of scouting reports already say he plays like a guy with a chip on his shoulder; this certainly can't hurt in that regard - he had deep ties to the Minnesota staff.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

No.

Ikechukwu Eke and Theo John are the bigs who committed to Marquette. John is a fringe-top 100 player and Eke is just a bit outside. These are comparable recruits to French. It's possible that Marquette prioritized them over French for some reason, but it's also possible that they simply committed first.

As for Minnesota, the new commit is a guard so it's not necessarily that he took French's spot from a position standpoint. That was, however, Minnesota's last scholarship for 2017, so without a known transfer at this point, they'd be oversubscribed with a French commitment.

Sometimes rankings can react to these things and make assumptions that French is maybe worth bumping below the other guys. As far as I'm concerned, this does not impact how we should feel about him. Plenty of scouting reports already say he plays like a guy with a chip on his shoulder; this certainly can't hurt in that regard - he had deep ties to the Minnesota staff.

He has close ties to Macon too, correct? He looks great on videos and love the description of him as a gamer... same description used about Goodwin. They would be a great combo and would seem to have the makings of future leaders. Adding that Allen kid, would round out a great class. Is Allen visiting this weekend?