Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

2017 @PSACardinals F @Hasahn22 visits St. Louis June 12 and then plans to visit Rutgers & St. John's.

Good info on Hasahn French. https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/big-summer-for-hasahn-french-includes-st-louis-st-johns-visits/181957612

Very impressive offer list.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to VC.com, which may or may not be accurate, we currently have 18 offers out for two 2017 scholarships. Sure one or two more may open up, but right now there are only 2. Of the 18, four are listed as PG (2.7 stars, 2.7 stars, 2 stars and 2 stars), six as SG (4,4,3,3,2,2), five as SF (4,3,2,2,2) and three as PF (3,3,2). Zero are listed as C. Okay, I'm not one sold on the star system, but it is established and worthy of talking about.

First, is there a plan? No I am not expecting Coach Ford to come on this forum and explain what he is doing. What happens if two 2 star SF say, yep, SLU is for us? Do we take them and fold the deck? But if we don't take them, why give them an offer in the first place?

Second, only 3 of the 18 are power position players. That is where we have been thin for many, many seasons. For 2017, we'll have Foreman, Welmer, Neufeld and Gillmann to man the two power spots. HELP!!

Third, there are eight 2 star players. Again, not to get hung up on stars, but what do these players have that make them worthy of an offer? Have they been told they are down on the priority list and have to wait until the traffic ahead of them clears?

To me this appears a little like throwing a lot of (stuff) on the wall and see what sticks. I'm sure there is a plan, I'm just not seeing it.

Two months ago this board was in virtual consensus (as much consensus as possible on here anyway) that we needed an across the board talent upgrade, regardless of position. We have now brought in 3 transfers to play PF, SF and SG and people are worried that we don't also have a PG and Center. I guess I get the concern, but unless you expected 5-6 new players in this spring signing period it strikes me that Ford has done just about everything that could reasonably be expected so far.

I'm sure he's well aware of the need for a PG and Center, in addition to even more talent in the SG-PF positions in the 2017 class.

From that article: "[st. Louis] has a great coaching staff."

How often have we heard that from recruits over the past three years? I'd guess not too often.

Clearly, H. French has not read this and the OKS message boards, otherwise he would know that Ford can only recruit, but NOT game coach :rolleyes: (Note to Old Guy---this is what we call sarcasm)

I agree with kshoe's overall assessment in post 1232. Ford is levels above what I thought he could do. I believe the talent has been upgraded but have to see the kids play to be absolutely sure but I can wait that out. There is a bright horizon on the future, if press clippings are to be believed.

My views on the need for a point guard (actually two) are well documented. The college game is a guards game (Arcidiaciano, Jenkins, Booth, Hart for 'Nova for a recent example) and our current three have to improve massively (Roby, Bishop,Bartley). I am not in the camp that believes the big dominant Center is a must. Even Majerus showed that winning with Euro-fives can and does work. We have essentially three unknowns at the bigs right now in Gillmann, Neufeld, and Welmer. I happen to have some hopes that both Neufeld and Welmer can get better --- or at least better than what we've seen. kshoe has also corrected me on occasion to expect kids to get better with age so here's hoping that true for Neufeld and Welmer. Welmer will be a 22-year-old freshman next year. I graduated at age 21. I think Ford can use next season to assess the need there. The answer could already be on the roster, who knows.

Same goes for our current point guards. Ford's work to date gets an A+ as far as I'm concerned.

According to VC.com, which may or may not be accurate, we currently have 18 offers out for two 2017 scholarships. Sure one or two more may open up, but right now there are only 2. Of the 18, four are listed as PG (2.7 stars, 2.7 stars, 2 stars and 2 stars), six as SG (4,4,3,3,2,2), five as SF (4,3,2,2,2) and three as PF (3,3,2). Zero are listed as C. Okay, I'm not one sold on the star system, but it is established and worthy of talking about.

First, is there a plan? No I am not expecting Coach Ford to come on this forum and explain what he is doing. What happens if two 2 star SF say, yep, SLU is for us? Do we take them and fold the deck? But if we don't take them, why give them an offer in the first place?

Second, only 3 of the 18 are power position players. That is where we have been thin for many, many seasons. For 2017, we'll have Foreman, Welmer, Neufeld and Gillmann to man the two power spots. HELP!!

Third, there are eight 2 star players. Again, not to get hung up on stars, but what do these players have that make them worthy of an offer? Have they been told they are down on the priority list and have to wait until the traffic ahead of them clears?

To me this appears a little like throwing a lot of (stuff) on the wall and see what sticks. I'm sure there is a plan, I'm just not seeing it.

While I generally agree that we are lacking at the 1 & 5 spots, I do think that some of these big wings we are recruiting can play as small-ball 4's. Johnson & Bess both seem to have some ability in the post, and the requisite height or strength. Bess honestly looks like a high-end glue guy who can defend 1-4.

If these guys show some ability to do that, it takes a lot of pressure off the staff in terms of finding a 5. Then we only need one or two of the guys you mention to become factors.

At the 1, I would love a true point. But as noted by many, our best success has come when multiple guys can handle the ball. This team wide ball handling ability is also more important when playing at a fast pace, which Ford has mentioned as a goal of his. Watching some high school tape shows that Bess is a capable passer. Roby and Bartley have both shown passing skill, they just struggle to beat their man consistently, which would open up passing lanes. We'll see if Ford can find a way to more effectively utilize these players' skills than Crews ever did. I just find it difficult to completely write these players off after two years in a clusterf**k of a system.

The ratings are averages from the major recruiting sites. The recruiting analysts focus almost exclusively on the the top 150 rising seniors going into the summer. Three star status is accorded, roughly, to kids ranked between 120 and 350.

Most of the 3 star ratings simply haven't been handed out yet. Check again in another 3-4 months.

2017 @PSACardinals F @Hasahn22 visits St. Louis June 12 and then plans to visit Rutgers & St. John's.

French is a stud. His recruitment will be a battle, but we appear to be very much in the mix. He's looking to trim down his list in August before school starts.

Pipes has a lot of interest but no offers yet. We've been showing interest for quite a while; Crews' staff had been in touch with him, and he may have visited campus once already a year or two ago.

No there is no plan. Ford is just throwing mud on the wall hoping anything will stick. He is simply a moron who knows nothing about the recruiting game. Gee whiz - just because you offered a kid doesn't mean that if he calls you up tomorrow and says I want to come that you have to accept it. An offer simply says that given the right circumstances we would be interested in having you but the right circumstances are constantly evolving. I can't believe you didn't understand this. What if offer a 3 star 6 months earlier and then a 5 star comes into honest play for you - are you stuck with having to take the 3 star - of course not. At the time you had no idea a 5 star might be in play for you - circumstances are always in a state of flux.

No there is no plan. Ford is just throwing mud on the wall hoping anything will stick. He is simply a moron who knows nothing about the recruiting game. Gee whiz - just because you offered a kid doesn't mean that if he calls you up tomorrow and says I want to come that you have to accept it. An offer simply says that given the right circumstances we would be interested in having you but the right circumstances are constantly evolving. I can't believe you didn't understand this. What if offer a 3 star 6 months earlier and then a 5 star comes into honest play for you - are you stuck with having to take the 3 star - of course not. At the time you had no idea a 5 star might be in play for you - circumstances are always in a state of flux.

Since you are obviously smarter than the rest of us, please elaborate on "the plan". Which players are we giving shadow offers too? What are the 'right circumstances' that you refer too? Please tell us which 2 stars have been told to wait at the end of the line? Thank you for enlightening us.

I am interested to see what Ridder does in college. I saw him play twice in the state tournament this past winter and was kind of mixed on the kid. I somewhat question whether he is a high major player, but he has an effortless stroke. I could see him being like a Matt Lawrence type of player.

I was just going to post that:

@WyattYess: Excited to announce that I've committed (pending admission) to continue my basketball career at Yale University!

Good luck to the kid. Maybe we will see some Ivy League battles between him and Will Gladson (Chaminade, Princeton).

On 6/6/2016 at 4:26 PM, HoosierPal said:

Since you are obviously smarter than the rest of us, please elaborate on "the plan". Which players are we giving shadow offers too? What are the 'right circumstances' that you refer too? Please tell us which 2 stars have been told to wait at the end of the line? Thank you for enlightening us.

Read my post all your questions have been answered above.  Apparently I am smarter than you so I agree with you on that.

• 2 weeks later...