Bills and Wisc even

The Wiz

Sorry I am a little late to the party but I was on the road.

Well the good news is the Bills have been upgraded to A+.....So it will be the A+ Bills vs the A+ Badgers. This will be like a Sweet Sixteen game. It will be a back and forth affair. Good chance for OT. As I stated in some earlier posts , this will be our toughest opponent of the regular season. That could change if one of the future teams we play gets hot but for now it looks like this will be THE game. It will be a defining game for a few reasons. The obvious is that Wisc is an A+ ranked team ...beating them would put the Bills on the map both with publicity and ranking. It also would be a resume win too....a win that the Selection committee would take note of. Finally, this game (win or lose) will give us ( the fans, the media and the team) a good sense of where we stand. A win will give the team a little extra swagger. Even a close loss will not be too damaging.

So how can we win? Let's get to the nitty gritty. As many of you know by now, one of my fav stats is 3pt D. And in this area the Bills have been trending very well. Through the first 5 games our numbers defending the 3 look like this.....starting with SEMO....24%, 21%, 20%, 18%, 12%. Pretty impressive.

But here is the problem...Wisc is one of the best shooting 3 pt teams in the country....checking in at a scary 45.7%. So what we have here is ....the unstoppable force (Wisc) against the immovable object (The Bills) In order to win the Bills need to hold the Bsdger 3 pt attempts to 15 (still a lot) or less and keep the made shots to 5. These numbers wouldn't be bad for an average team but for a hot shooting team like Wisc. they will be disruptive enough to give us the win. If we have a great night and hold them to 13% (2 made) we could open up the spread to 9 or 10. If we let them play their game then it will be ....oh well.

Also, the disorentation factor ...strange place (playing at the Hard Rock Hotel) plus strange land seem to affect 3 pt teams a little more (not to mention the ice)

Bottomline...Will our D win out over their 3....

.....................My guess is yes...

.....................and if true....

.................... it'll be a win for SLU

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ice and bad water, fruit and salads will cut both ways. Whatever team is most aware of this public health issue (travelers diarrhea) and controls it better will be in better shape to play and win. Nothing says Wisconsin is immune to this problem. If both teams are in great shape (unaffected by this) then we will have the type of game the Wiz describes.

The Bills will be fine. I have a master plan to help the Bills beat down the Badgers. Im going to get into the Wisconsin equipment room and switch all of their bottled water with tap water.

They are going to be crapping all over the floor. The only thing SLU needs to worry about is slipping and falling.

Gotta think Rob should be a real difference maker in this game. If he can hit a few open looks from deep and play solid D, then things should be looking good for us. If he's ice cold and allows Kaminsky to have his way, it's gonna be a long night. Rob hitting at a decent clip from deep is essential to our offense clicking. It just opens up so much.

Gotta think Rob should be a real difference maker in this game. If he can hit a few open looks from deep and play solid D, then things should be looking good for us. If he's ice cold and allows Kaminsky to have his way, it's gonna be a long night. Rob hitting at a decent clip from deep is essential to our offense clicking. It just opens up so much.

-is he kind of seeing himself in Kaminsky?

I would agree, but I stopped counting on RL awhile ago. I'm at the point where any RL 3 that goes down is a pleasant surprise.

I would agree, but I stopped counting on RL awhile ago. I'm at the point where any RL 3 that goes down is a pleasant surprise.

Good news is in his first three seasons, Loe has .337, .351, .315 3pt%, with 95, 97, 92 3pt attempts respectively, which is pretty consistant. He is 2/15 to date from 3pt and if he can hit his averages, he with finish off the season 30/79 or .380 from 3pt. That would be nice. That being said, I would be happy if he just was more consistantly aggressive on both ends of the court, but as the great Floridafan once stated, "I loved watching these players score points in games and deliver Billiken wins, but more than that, when all is said and done, I really want to see them in heaven".

To add, he's had 3pt droughts in each of his first three seasons: 2010-11 he was 2/15 over an 8 game stretch, 2011-12 he was 2/11 over a 6 game stretch, 2012-13 he went 1/14 in an 8 game stretch.

The Bills will be fine. I have a master plan to help the Bills beat down the Badgers. Im going to get into the Wisconsin equipment room and switch all of their bottled water with tap water.

They are going to be crapping all over the floor. The only thing SLU needs to worry about is slipping and falling.

No need

Regarding Rob Loe his ppg and rpg are up with his rpg up 2 per game to 5.4 in just 5 min per game more. His overall stats are 7.8 and 5.4. He's 2-15 from 3, but take away his 3's and he's shot 13-19 from the field. Including his 3's he's at 45.5% up about 4% from last year. He's also 7 of 8 from the line. If he hit 3 additional 3's in 5 games he'd be at 33% and most people would be talking about how good his overall game has been this year. I've seen a few of his 3's rim out. It happens to shooters they have a few cold games and he'll have some games and stretches where he hits 50%. His shot hasn't changed, just a few didn't go. The last thing I want to see is for Rob to pass them up as he did last game. Shooters shoot ...

Wisconsin is a good shooting team and SLU has had good shooting defense. Part of that may be SLU has not played that great of shooting teams but the opponent and tempo adjusted Pomeroy ratings show SLU with an excellent overall defense. Watching the games, I have seen some lapses but I have also seen some very good stretches. One of Wisconsin's most effective offensive weapons has been drawing fouls (particularly using the new rule changes to make contact with moving defenders). Traveon Jackson, Gasser, Hayes, and even to some extent Dekker will be looking to penetrate to create easy baskets or fouls. I think SLU does pretty well with most dribble penetration but Wisconsin is pretty good at it and can also dish to a lot of different shooters to keep you honest.

I talked to someone who was at the UWGB-Wisconsin game and he definitely thought Wisconsin was vulnerable themselves to a good penetrating guard (Sykes--that is how the Phoenix kept it close). Hopefully, McCall and Jett get passed theri guards. Green Bay played some tough D and Wisconsin had their worst shooting day of the year (they shut down their guards). So, I think the key will be for SLU to shut down their guards; Dekker and Kaminsky will get their points but SLU will win if they can keep their many guards limited (particularly Jackson on the penetration and Brust spotting up).

Yeah, don't look at his 2-15 start from 3 as "this is how Rob is going to shoot this season," but rather look at it as a cold stretch. Plenty of guys on our roster have had 2-15 stretches at various points in their careers. It sucks that his final season hasn't opened with a statement from the perimeter, but the sky isn't falling.

He should get some good looks tonight, actually. I'm very curious to see this Kaminsky-Loe matchup.

Rammer weights in: http://www.101sports.com/2013/11/26/slu-travelogue-wheels-cancun/

Interesting note:

Our arena is simply a banquet room. The ceiling appears to be 25 feet, max. I would think that it might affect three-point shooters (at least mentally), but SLU’s coaching staff doesn’t think so. They are concerned about long passes (full-court stuff) that won’t be possible. That doesn’t come up very often, but those plays are off of the board.

My wishful thinking is that the 3 pt shooing will be tough and this will cause more problems for Wisconsin than for SLU because they have relied on the 3 much more.

This game is definitely the Bills coming out party. Good thing we've got CC on the bench as he can relate to the team how physical B10 teams are. Of course our guys should know this since the starters, save for GG, all played against those muggers from MSU. Hopefully, JC's channeling a little RM tonite. What scares me most is UW goes into a zone and we turn stone cold from the perimeter. Big game from JB, MM, and AM will be needed.