GDT: SEMO

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You weren't bothered by the X and OU games last year? Both losses were due to our shooting about -20% from the arc.

Slu72 there is nothing you can do about that. Some games you are going to shoot well and some you will shoot poorly. That's why they call it an average. We won't shoot exactly 34% from three point range every game.

The key is you need to do the other things well so that even when you shoot poorly you can still win. That is exactly what we did in the second half last night.

Crawford played better against a better team last night than he did against Fontbonne. Those of you who say he should not be getting the compliments he is getting should think about this. There has been only one game that counts and he played well. He did not pick the opponent or the time he went in to play. But when he went in he played well. Would you have preferred he play poorly because SEMO was not a strong team. All a player can do is play well when he is inserted into a game and he did. You are going to knock him for that? I believe he will become a very valuable player for us during his career here.

Hey I'm not trying to knock the guy. Hope he becomes an All American. I'm just saying don't read too much into one game at mop up time. Someone was trying to take minutes away from Jake and give them to Mike. Little early for that.

It is a little early for many of the judgments stated on here after only ONE game.

Maybe there are unintended inferences we are reading from the prior posts but Crawford did look confident and assertive on offensive and also showed an ability to handle/dribble the ball. On defense, not as much. The good news is that he has plenty of time (this year) to get his feet wet and to get used to the speed and physicality of upper level D1 basketball. What I saw last night was impressive. Now, if Crawford can step up and give us a lift off the bench, then we will be that much better.

As to comparisons between Reggie and Corey Remeken, I say why? Yes, they are both tall, Black men who play basketball but that is about it. Corey was 4 year project who never did turn the corner and produce as hoped and expected. Why insult a new Freshmen with comparisons to Corey?

As to McBroom. I agree with Roy. IMO, he did some good things but he is very short and hopefully rusty. But to compare him to McCall, a 4 year starter, or to team leader and Billiken HOF'er KM is not fair.

Notre Dame used Biedscheid as a player to come off the bench and add instant offense( One of the reasons it is said he wanted to transfer). Maybe during his freshman year SLU can use Crawford that way, maybe as a zone breaker. Neither Ellis nor Loe played good defense the first part of their freshman year. The same can be said of McCall and Jett. Crawford will be fine.

Maybe there are unintended inferences we are reading from the prior posts but Crawford did look confident and assertive on offensive and also showed an ability to handle/dribble the ball. On defense, not as much. The good news is that he has plenty of time (this year) to get his feet wet and to get used to the speed and physicality of upper level D1 basketball. What I saw last night was impressive. Now, if Crawford can step up and give us a lift off the bench, then we will be that much better.

As to comparisons between Reggie and Corey Remeken, I say why? Yes, they are both tall, Black men who play basketball but that is about it. Corey was 4 year project who never did turn the corner and produce as hoped and expected. Why insult a new Freshmen with comparisons to Corey?

As to McBroom. I agree with Roy. IMO, he did some good things but he is very short and hopefully rusty. But to compare him to McCall, a 4 year starter, or to team leader and Billiken HOF'er KM is not fair.

Fairly certain the CR comparison was that RA as a freshman appears to offer the same skill set and athleticism that CR did as a senior. Not sure that's an "insult"

way way too early to mention mcbroom's name in the same sentence as kwamaine mitchell. mitchell is a sure fire billiken hall of famer to be and was the team leader on the team from the second he put on the billiiken uniform. imo, we are still trying to decide if mccbroom is going to warrant first guard minutes when we play tough games.

totally agree with everything you said about glaze. been trying to remember a turnaround player that went from somewhat a joke to what i see now as a must play player in my 35 years of following the billikens. glaze was very impressive last night. and if he fixes his still fundamental errors without the ball and away from the ball on defense, he might just be a star. there is no doubt he is the most athletic player on the team. runs like a deer, jumps like crazy and never seems tired. impressive.

i am really surprised we didnt give crawford and lancona more minutes. and when agbeko gets back he also needs to play. they are obvious talents that need the experience beyond mop up time at the end of the game. while i am sure barnett and manning's experience matter, i am not sure if given the chance early the three freshmen couldnt give us more results. what better time to give it to them than our weak nonconference schedule. sure when we play wisconsin next month that might not be possible, but for now in these sort of games, put the kids in the game.

Don't you think labeling Glaze a "joke" is a bit harsh? He was not a joke last year - he started many games and played well enough that some on that year's team would have loved to have had his minutes.

Checked the A10 school results again, so far only one school lost its first game, LaSalle who lost to the Manhattan Jaspers 90-99. Massachusetts has not played as yet, they play tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing the info - seriously it saves some of us the time of having to look it up - I for one appreciate it even though others may not.

Fairly certain the CR comparison was that RA as a freshman appears to offer the same skill set and athleticism that CR did as a senior. Not sure that's an "insult"

Sorry but I saw very little skill from Corey Remeken in all of his 4 years - including his Senior season. Again, I don't get the comparison. To each his own, but comparisons to guy who barely contributed and was a borderline bust is certainly not much of a complement.

Don't you think labeling Glaze a "joke" is a bit harsh? He was not a joke last year - he started many games and played well enough that some on that year's team would have loved to have had his minutes.

imo glaze had no business on the floor last year. it was painful to watch his minutes beyond his enthusiasm. he truly did not grasp the system and spent a lot of time just running and bouncing around. he indeed did it with great energy and enthusiasm, but he was always the first one subbed out and the vast majority of times never played again until the second half when the beginning of the first half was repeated. he never played in crunch time.

that said, he has ramped up his game tremendously and while he still is making fundamental errors though not nearly as many, he is making up for that with with an obviously increased basketball IQ and the highest fitness and athleticism on the team.

I agree that GG seemed to lack a few fundamentals of the offense and defense last year. However, I'm not sure we have a better finisher than GG close to the hoop. The guy seems to finish absolutely everything within 2-3 feet. Kind of the anti-sophomore/junior Conklin. If GG can develop a 6-8 foot jumper, then he will be quite a weapon.

Sorry but I saw very little skill from Corey Remeken in all of his 4 years - including his Senior season. Again, I don't get the comparison. To each his own, but comparisons to guy who barely contributed and was a borderline bust is certainly not much of a complement.

No sense in arguing but I don't think its too terrible to say that a freshman, who has played one exhibition, is already at the skill and impact level of a senior who had meaningful minutes on a NCAA team. But it's all good.

imo glaze had no business on the floor last year. it was painful to watch his minutes beyond his enthusiasm. he truly did not grasp the system and spent a lot of time just running and bouncing around. he indeed did it with great energy and enthusiasm, but he was always the first one subbed out and the vast majority of times never played again until the second half when the beginning of the first half was repeated. he never played in crunch time.that said, he has ramped up his game tremendously and while he still is making fundamental errors though not nearly as many, he is making up for that with with an obviously increased basketball IQ and the highest fitness and athleticism on the team.

+1

I like very much what I have seen from GG so far, but very interested to see how it transfers over to higher level. An energy player is normally just that. He is in possibly the best shape of his life and to me that means he will bring that much more energy, but I still think when it counts the 4 spot will require more skill then energy, especially late in a tight game. So far we have had a d3 opponent and a depleted and undersized d1 that GG's energy should have been effective against. After all he was physically bigger then what SEMO had.

+1

I like very much what I have seen from GG so far, but very interested to see how it transfers over to higher level. An energy player is normally just that. He is in possibly the best shape of his life and to me that means he will bring that much more energy, but I still think when it counts the 4 spot will require more skill then energy, especially late in a tight game. So far we have had a d3 opponent and a depleted and undersized d1 that GG's energy should have been effective against. After all he was physically bigger then what SEMO had.

that is a very good point. and i agree if he lapses back to his previous showings on defensive fundamentals and a lack of understanding on running the offense, he might not be ready for full time status. however, he was doing a lot of the right things the first two games. things like secondary help defense and rolling the right way on his picks that he wasnt doing last year. he always had the high energy and athleticism (just not quite what it is now!) what was getting him yanked from games and a permanent spot on the bench was mental mistakes and misses. so far we are seeing he is now getting it. if that continues, even if he doesnt have near the same level of success on the floor vs better competition, he will likely be the best alternative we have at the spot. at the very least until lancona and or agbeko show they are better. lancona and agbeko want the spot though, they have to win that opportunity in practice. crews has shown great loyalty to the upper classmen and to earning it in practice (traits i like btw).

after the first two years, never thought i would become glaze's defender.

I also agree that JC should show a certain amount of loyalty to GG and other upperclassmen that have put in the sweat the last couple years. Freshmen should earn their stripes, and have to take that spot from the upperclassmen. Have heard from a couple players that GG and RA have fought like alley cats for that starting spot, but RA has been banged up for a little while, and that in crunch time in a tight game RA would probably be the better option due to his skill set and being able to get almost any shot he wants in the halfcourt and ability to finish through contact.

imo glaze had no business on the floor last year. it was painful to watch his minutes beyond his enthusiasm. he truly did not grasp the system and spent a lot of time just running and bouncing around. he indeed did it with great energy and enthusiasm, but he was always the first one subbed out and the vast majority of times never played again until the second half when the beginning of the first half was repeated. he never played in crunch time.

that said, he has ramped up his game tremendously and while he still is making fundamental errors though not nearly as many, he is making up for that with with an obviously increased basketball IQ and the highest fitness and athleticism on the team.

I am confused - a kid in his second year gets to play real minutes for a lot of games - comes back from a serious injury in a game that he played meaningful minutes in and works his way in to the rotation - improves basically every game he plays in and he is a joke. If you wanted to say he was not as adept at the schemes as as senior or junior then fine but is that not what learning to play is all about - growing in game situations and finding a way to contribute. We can look at several players who would have died to be in GG's situation - CR and JM to name two. I agree GG was not a finished product but to call him a joke last year is off base. Do you really think if JC was asked about GG last year he would have called him a joke - no or he would not have been in there at all.

Cheeseman I have no idea why crews saw the need to start and play glaze but it was not productive imo dividing the few minutes for extra minutes for Ellis, loe and evans would have been far more productive

I guess one could rationalize those ten minutes a game are paying off this year. But it still doesn't take away glazes total cluelessness last year.

If you want to rationalize he deserved to be on the floor because he was on the floor have at it. But if you ever focused on his play without the ball last year you would have seen he was most often lost.

The good news is he appears to be tremendously improved be happy.