GDT: SEMO

+1. Easily the best comparison I've seen. It can be ugly as all get out, but in the end he helps us win. In the past, I've been in the anti-GG camp. This year, he looks like a whole different animal. Looks a million times more comfortable. I think he'll be key in this year's run. I'm not wincing anytime he touches the ball. This kid has improved and he's ready to dominate this year. He'll be a big reason we won't miss CE and KM this year. (At least as much as we thought we would)

You can add Agbeko, Crawford, and Lancona to that list, imo. And Barnett and Manning and the improved play of the seniors. I hope that's not wishful thinking on my part.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Roy just hates Canadians. ;-)

I will say, at times last year, it was funny watching Glaze run around like a chicken with his head cut off. But he was far from being a joke.

The guy helped right the ship and turn the season around.

He may have looked funny doing it but the results were not funny at all.

I will say, at times last year, it was funny watching Glaze run around like a chicken with his head cut off. But he was far from being a joke.

Seems like you just made Roy's point. "Somewhat a joke," he said. I'm not defending that; just saying that you made his point.

Seems like you just made Roy's point. "Somewhat a joke," he said. I'm not defending that; just saying that you made his point.

I see what you are saying. But I dont think the guy was a joke he was just a young guy who had trouble focuasing some of his energy.

He was funny but not funny like a clown.

We can mostly agree Glaze was not a joke last year.

He had a role, while he wasn't great and made mistakes he also played within himself and never tried to do to much on the court. I imagine that was difficult for a player wit his exuberance for the game. Check the numbers, his PER stats were always decent and he didn't get a huge amount of TOs or force things. We all talk up about Cody, but looking at his numbers he was a black hole on offense. He did nothing but shoot, making it or not, and turn the ball over. His assist %s while he was on the court were dreadful. Glaze kept his in line, stayed in his limited role and the team was better for it.

This thread needs to end because the only thing funny, and yes funny like a clown, are all of newly created Grandy Glaze fan club members with poor reading skills and agendas.

First, Roy's actual words were "somewhat a joke" and not "a joke".

Second, the context of Roy's comments were in a positive post about about Glaze with respect to the new player he has become. Go back and read his comments about Glaze being impressive, might be a star, the most athletic, runs like a deer, never seem to tire, impressive. Previously, he mentioned that Glaze is a must play player this year.

Third, whether the cause of his play was a bad shoulder (which I suspect and hope to believe) or not, it is clear that Glaze was unique (my word) and unlike any other Billiken I can remember either in the past 35 years (Roy's words) in that while he started each half, he never returned during meaningful moments, he never attempted a shot further than 5 feet, he actually contributed less than most make him out to have done, he was "lost" (my words) on both offense and defense.

Fourth, even the new Glaze fan club admits that he was a "ball of fire", an "energy player", "not a finished product", "a bit reckless", he did have "an unorthodox way" and he did shoot the ball with a "short armed" method.

Fifth, I do find comments like those of dlarry to be much more offensive -- like a chicken with his head cut off... but not a joke!! and not funny like a clown!! just funny like a chicken with its head cut off!! Oh, i get it :rolleyes::lol:

Sixth, where the anger and outrage over dlarry's comments? Where's the comments about the team being 16-2 all because of our headless chicken?

Oh, I get it, many have built-up anger and hatred toward Roy that they just cannot control -- even if Roy complements Glaze with his Conklin-like transformation.

This thread needs to end because the only thing funny, and yes funny like a clown, are all of newly created Grandy Glaze fan club members with poor reading skills and agendas.

Second, the context of Roy's comments were in a positive post about about Glaze with respect to the new player he has become. Go back and read his comments about Glaze being impressive, might be a star, the most athletic, runs like a deer, never seem to tire, impressive. Previously, he mentioned that Glaze is a must play player this year.

Third, whether the cause of his play was a bad shoulder (which I suspect and hope to believe) or not, it is clear that Glaze was unique (my word) and unlike any other Billiken I can remember either in the past 35 years (Roy's words) in that while he started each half, he never returned during meaningful moments, he never attempted a shot further than 5 feet, he actually contributed less than most make him out to have done, he was "lost" (my words) on both offense and defense.

Fourth, even the new Glaze fan club admits that he was a "ball of fire", an "energy player", "not a finished product", "a bit reckless", he did have "an unorthodox way" and he did shoot the ball with a "short armed" method.

Fifth, I do find comments like those of dlarry to be much more offensive -- like a chicken with his head cut off... but not a joke!! and not funny like a clown!! just funny like a chicken with its head cut off!! Oh, i get it :rolleyes::lol:

Sixth, where the anger and outrage over dlarry's comments? Where's the comments about the team being 16-2 all because of our headless chicken?

Oh, I get it, many have built-up anger and hatred toward Roy that they just cannot control -- even if Roy complements Glaze with his Conklin-like transformation.

chickenhead.

I'm not sure who is in the "newly created Grandy Glaze fan club," but welcome. I was talking up GG's potential last year and defending him from some of the ridiculous attacks, so I guess that makes me an original member of the GG fan club. I have been consistent in saying the criticism of GG was way over the top. I recall being involved in a thread last year comparing GG to freshman and sophomore versions of beloved Billikens Chris Sloan and Luke Meyer and there were others who were pro-GG. I have also consistently reminded people that GG was a highly regarded recruit coming out of prep school which indicates there was some upside to his game.

May I suggest you take a look a look at some of the other things roy said, before you feel too sorry for poor misunderstood roy, "imo glaze had no business on the floor last year." "It was painful to watch his minutes beyond his enthusiasm" "he did not grasp the system" "if he lapses back to his previous showings on defensive fundamentals and lack of understanding on running the offense, he might not be ready for full time status" "what was getting him yanked from games and a permanent spot on the bench was mental mistakes." "it still doesn't take away from Glaze's total cluelessness last year"

This idea that Glaze was "clueless" is way over-stated and frankly insulting. I don't think Crews plays him or we have that much success if he were "clueless." Also, there has never been any indication that I am aware of that he was "yanked from games for mental mistakes"... Talk about somebody with an agenda just making stuff up. On the postgame interview on Friday, Crews praised what Grandy did for the team last year and that he did a great job of "playing within himself" and "doing what the team needed." It sure didn't sound like a guy who "did not grasp the system." We can either take the National Coach of the Year's word for it or the word of billikenroy.

Again, for all the information that is shared about Billiken basketball on this Board, with the good and knowledgeable insiders, with all the students who sit in class with, watch the guys play pick-up games, talk with, eat with and hang out with Glaze and the other teammates, I find it shocking to not know what Glaze was like before his dislocated shoulder, to not truly know how much his injured affected him last year, etc. I would assume that Lon Kruger and Rick Majerus didn't give a scholarship to a kid with such limitations but I don't know. Then, again, maybe Nate had an article on Billiken Report about this so out of fear no one posted anything. :D

But seriously, if the injury/dislocation really did cause Glaze to lose his ability to extend his arm over his head, if he really did have to short-arm his shots, if he lost the ability to raise his arm to shoot a "normal" mid-range or free throw shot, to fully extend and reach for a rebound and/or to dunk and yet he still found a way to start most of our games last year and fill a role on this team and if Jim Crews really did find a way to use an injured and limited player like Glaze, then that is the real story here. Would some who attends the next open session of Q & A's with any of our coaches, who knows the players (Glaze), who may interview a player/coach, simply ask them about Glaze's injury last year and how it affected him as compared to this year? Seems like an easy softball question to me.

So is being "somewhat a joke" like being a little bit pregnant? The fact that you use the word joke in the same sentence to describe someone is where the problem comes in my mind. Also given the other words he used to describe GG can only lead one to believe that Roy really meant to say what he actually said. Now that being said, he is entitled to his opinion but once he states it then it is fair game. I do agree that some may have made their response to Roy personal and that is not appropriate and not my problem with what he wrote.

So is being "somewhat a joke" like being a little bit pregnant? The fact that you use the word joke in the same sentence to describe someone is where the problem comes in my mind. Also given the other words he used to describe GG can only lead one to believe that Roy really meant to say what he actually said. Now that being said, he is entitled to his opinion but once he states it then it is fair game. I do agree that some may have made their response to Roy personal and that is not appropriate and not my problem with what he wrote.

IMO, worse than saying somebody is "a joke" are the implications that he is not smart - "clueless"... "can not grasp the system",,,, "lack of understanding of running the offense"... and the blatent lie that he was getting benched for "mental mistakes" We all know roy likes playing the victim card, but there is nothing personal in calling out some of the unfounded statements he made about one of our players.