Crews Hosting coaching clinic

thetorch

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=209256776

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis head men’s basketball coach Jim Crews and his staff will host a coaches clinic on Wednesday, Oct. 9, beginning at 3 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena.

Open to coaches of all levels, the clinic will begin with registrants attending the Billikens’ practice at 3 p.m. Following practice, Crews will address the group, and all coaches will have an opportunity to ask questions of the SLU staff.

The cost is $20, which includes dinner and a social hour following the Q&A. Click here for a flyer of the event.

To reserve your spot, please email SLU director of basketball operations Mike Lepore at [email protected]. For more information, please call Lepore at 314-977-3252

$20 bucks for maybe our only chance to see the team practice.

how would they know if you are a coach or not? oneday i could potentially be a coach of my kids team. i do not have any kids yet though

I'm guessing they just take your word that you are a coach because why else would you go to a coaching clinic. If a non-coach or a potential future coach wanted to go, I doubt they would care. The flyer says coaches "of all levels."

I know to coach CYC you have to have a CYC coach card, so that would be one way to check, but that is only one "level".

Good point Next Year Bill, I would say it depends. If you are a coach and they know you are a coach or can confirm it, they will welcome you. If you are not a coach but like basketball and you are willing to ante the $20 just for the pleasure of rubbing elbows with real coaches and watch the team practice, they may allow you in, provided they do not have a sell out. It may be worth a try. I would be forthcoming about who you are and what you wish to accomplish by attending the event. Please do not tell them the story about being a coach to your kids when you have no kids.

Definitely, this is the type of event that I wish Majerus had done. With his name cache and coaching resume, I think a lot of people would have been excited to attend. Alas, his personality and health probably didn't allow for it.

-the Saturday morning event some years ago where Rick, the coaches and players instructed kids and many received a SLU basketball was great (more kids than expected so not everyone received a ball), Rick said he would do again but we know what happened, I wonder if something like this is in the plans going forward? get 'em while they are young, make their parents get tix to a game to satisfy Little Johnnie or Little Janie, watch our games on tv, make them want to be Billikens or at least Billiken fans

-the Saturday morning event some years ago where Rick, the coaches and players instructed kids and many received a SLU basketball was great (more kids than expected so not everyone received a ball), Rick said he would do again but we know what happened, I wonder if something like this is in the plans going forward? get 'em while they are young, make their parents get tix to a game to satisfy Little Johnnie or Little Janie, watch our games on tv, make them want to be Billikens or at least Billiken fans

I didn't recall the kids event that Majerus did. Sounds like a great event. Hopefully they do it again.

Speaking of getting them while they are young. Does anyone know anything about the Billiken Kids Club?

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205259378

Hasn't been updated since September 2011. I am curious if the program is still going on or what. If so, is it worth the $25?

how would they know if you are a coach or not? oneday i could potentially be a coach of my kids team. i do not have any kids yet though

I was coaching youth basketball some years back and saw an add for a coach's clinic for all levels at a local college. The add said the coaching staff and some players would be instructing. After a few minutes two older black men walked in and I immediately recognized one as "Bighouse Gaines" who won 828 games at Winston-Salem State. The other was introduced as long time coach John McLendon. I had no idea who John McLendon was.

So the clinic was great and both Gaines and McLendon shared drills and motivational stuff with us. I go home and enter John McLendon on Google to learn more about him. Turns out he studied the game as a PE student at Kansas under none other than James Naismith. He worked in Naismith's office since he wasn't allowed to play on the team as a result of segregation. He then coached at Tennesse State and North Carolina Central and won a number of Black College Championships. This led to the NAIA accepting one HBCU into their 32 team national tourney.

I thought it was the coolest thing that I was at a clinic where he was a guest instructor. To learn more about McLendon search "the secret game" where his NCCU played against an all-white Duke team in '44, breaking all the segregation laws that existed at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't recall the kids event that Majerus did. Sounds like a great event. Hopefully they do it again.

Speaking of getting them while they are young. Does anyone know anything about the Billiken Kids Club?

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205259378

Hasn't been updated since September 2011. I am curious if the program is still going on or what. If so, is it worth the $25?

The kids club: I called to find out if it still existed and left a message. I sent an email as a follow-up and was told that it did exist and that the information had been forwarded to another person. Shortly after that I received an email with an application which I sent in. About 2 1/2 weeks later I had not heard anything so I sent another email. I was told that they were waiting for the shirts to come in before sending anything else out. They also said that, since the kids get in free to soccer games, they would put their names on the pass list if I just let them know, until they actually send out the packages.

Crap, I had the wrong date written down for this and missed it. Anybody go to this and can give a report?

No firsthand report, but here is what SLUBillikens.com has on the Coaches Clinic:

Billikens Hold Coaches Clinic

Courtesy: Saint Louis Athletics

Release: 10/09/2013

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis head men’s basketball coach Jim Crews hosted more than 60 area coaches for a coaches clinic at Chaifetz Arena.

The visiting coaches attended the Billiken men’s basketball practice, sat in on a Crews lecture discussing coaching tips and strategies, and took part in a Q&A with the Billiken staff.

In addition to Crews, the visiting coaches also learned from Jim Platt, who spent nine years as an NCAA Division I head coach and is in his second year at SLU. Tanner Bronson is a former NBDL assistant coach and is in his third year on the SLU staff. Also participating in the clinic was Calbert Cheaney, a 13-year NBA veteran who is in his first year on Crews' staff.

Crews, the 2013 NABC and Sporting News National Coach of the Year, is entering his second season as SLU's head coach. Since arriving on campus as an assistant coach prior to the 2011-12 season, the Billikens have advanced to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments. Last year, Crews guided SLU to a school-record 28 victories and Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season and tournament titles.

For more information on future coaches clinics, please contact Mike Lepore at [email protected] or 314-977-3252.

60+ coaches seems like a pretty good turnout to me.