Undergrad Enrollment

bills10

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Steve, since I read earlier that majority of these new freshmen students are local (Mo-Ill), did the Admission Dept market better. Did you notice more on-campus open houses and get the admission counselors out to the local high schools?

SLU had a successful capital campaign to celebrate 200 years. If they used some of that for student financial aid, that a good investment. "No students means no University".

No, they offered more money than usual and more than they can offer over the next few years.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bills10 said:

Plus, unless things have changed with the tuition and financial aid structure, the aid doesn’t grow along with tuition increases every year. Between that and the extra revenue growth from dining on campus, living on campus, going to games, etc. I think that even if tuition revenue did not grow it still should increase overall cash flows. 

I really am only speculating here - but I am not sure how large these extra cash flows are going to be (e.g. lots of the dining is contracted out; dorms are always full already; students attend games for free).  But there will likely be more demands upon a recently depleted staff. 

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Steve, since I read earlier that majority of these new freshmen students are local (Mo-Ill), did the Admission Dept market better. Did you notice more on-campus open houses and get the admission counselors out to the local high schools?

SLU had a successful capital campaign to celebrate 200 years. If they used some of that for student financial aid, that a good investment. "No students means no University".

Again, unfortunately, I cannot speak intelligently on recruitment efforts.  Within my bubble, there did not appear to be a whole lot of change from past years.

30 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I really am only speculating here - but I am not sure how large these extra cash flows are going to be (e.g. lots of the dining is contracted out; dorms are always full already; students attend games for free).  But there will likely be more demands upon a recently depleted staff. 

Again, unfortunately, I cannot speak intelligently on recruitment efforts.  Within my bubble, there did not appear to be a whole lot of change from past years.

30 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

There were changes in the team in charge of student recruitment including the leadership. Many hours were spent developing new strategies and a lot of hard work went into this effort which was very successful. This was definitely not just a situation where SLU did the same things as in past years 

33 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

There were changes in the team in charge of student recruitment including the leadership. Many hours were spent developing new strategies and a lot of hard work went into this effort which was very successful. This was definitely not just a situation where SLU did the same things as in past years 

Glad to hear that strategies were successful on this front.

10 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Glad to hear that strategies were successful on this front.

Well Steve, if you look at private colleges, they are all facing at least potentially lower enrollments. Eventually some schools will be able to maintain or increase their student numbers. Those that do not will slowly wither on the vine and eventually disappear. It all comes down to money one way or the other. The administration has to emphasize profitable programs, limit losing programs, and maintain an adequate enrollment in order to prosper.