Undergrad Enrollment

bills10

7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Yes, as I understand it the number of high school/college-aged kids has been on the decline since the millennial generation finished school.

So, it's great to SLU to record record enrollment despite there being fewer kids in the world.

Image result for well done gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

US News has it at 64% as of 2017, compared to 89% at Marquette, 71% at Loyola, 72% at Creighton, 72% at DePaul, 74% at Xavier, 78% at Mizzou, and 62% at Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

Marquette's acceptance rate is the real outlier. I thought DePaul's was higher and Marquette's would be low-70s.

Thanks. I guess I should've done some comparative research. I can't believe Marquette's acceptance rate is that high!

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:
2 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Forgive my ignorance here, but why are less kids graduating? Are there simply less kids in the world now or is something else going on?

American demographics are trending toward a poorer, more diverse population.   Graduation rates closely track income.

Yes.  More kids going to college than ever before, but the rate of students prepared to succeed in college is still the same.

2 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Forgive my ignorance here, but why are less kids graduating? Are there simply less kids in the world now or is something else going on?

3 Star is correct but the overall live birth rate has been declining the last 10 years - I haven't checked lately but I have not heard anything that says this trend has changed.  I use to do enrollment projections and it was around this time that the drop was to begin to level off at some point.  The drop in live births happens in a cyclical manner so it is not unusual.  The problem for schools like SLU is that even if the live births start to rise it may not come close to what it was so they will always be fighting for a smaller pool.

4 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

There are less kids graduating high school because there are less kids to go to high school.  The kids of Gen X are now the ones enrolling in college.  Gen X is by far the smallest post WWII generation It is 33% percent smaller than both the Boomers and Millenials.  So there were just far fewer potential parents to produce kids for this current group.

A similar downturn happened beginning in early 80's  through the mid to late 90's in the number of high school grads as that was when Gen X graduated.  It didn't have the same impact on college enrollments because women and minorities in Gen X were far more likely to go to college than previous generations. That resulted in increased enrollment at college and universities. 

It isn't the result of the demographic make-up of the generation that produced the kids now enrolling in college or a declining birthrate.  It is just that the generation that gave birth to this current group was much smaller.

Pistol, Zink and Box and Won like this

The declining birth rate is almost all on the millennials.  The dramatic decline started following the 2008 recession and has accelerated.  But any impact from that is still just over a decade away and will still lead to more kids graduating high school just because The Millennial generation is 50% larger than Gen X.  Even with them having less babies individually, there are a lot more of them to have babies collectively.

Pistol likes this

6 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

One of the key reasons for higher enrollment is that a considerable amount of financial aid was given.  More students but not necessarily more revenue. 

They bought enrollment. There’s a race to the bottom in that regard in this region. It’s like buying a Chrysler vs GM product at this point. 40k sticker and 15k in rebates. Think you’re buying a 40k car, but you’re buying a 25k car. 

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

They bought enrollment. There’s a race to the bottom in that regard in this region. It’s like buying a Chrysler vs GM product at this point. 40k sticker and 15k in rebates. Think you’re buying a 40k car, but you’re buying a 25k car. 

I don't think it was intentional.  Just more people said yes than expected. 

On 8/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, SluSignGuy said:

SLU offered more financial aid then usual.

It was absolutely intentional.

SLU greased the wheels in hopes of building momentum for the next few years.

On 8/22/2019 at 8:22 PM, SluSignGuy said:

Steve, since I read earlier that majority of these new freshmen students are local (Mo-Ill), did the Admission Dept market better. Did you notice more on-campus open houses and get the admission counselors out to the local high schools?

SLU had a successful capital campaign to celebrate 200 years. If they used some of that for student financial aid, that a good investment. "No students means no University".

Plus, unless things have changed with the tuition and financial aid structure, the aid doesn’t grow along with tuition increases every year. Between that and the extra revenue growth from dining on campus, living on campus, going to games, etc. I think that even if tuition revenue did not grow it still should increase overall cash flows.