Crews and Last Schollie

Today in the Post, it was reported that Crews says the last schollie for this year will not be used and will be moved into the 2014 recruiting class pool. SLU will now have 6 for next year and they have two commits.

I was going to post a link for the article but it doesn't seem like the Post Dispatch bothered to put it on stltoday (or I'm blind and its right there in front of me). Its a shame, because its fairly long and focuses on Evans and Barnett's upcoming trips, including comments from Dwayne that he focused on 3 point shooting and ballhandling to improve his game this summer.

Lastly, the article said Crews doesn't "expect" to use the last scholly. You never know when something unexpected might happen.

I was going to post a link for the article but it doesn't seem like the Post Dispatch bothered to put it on stltoday (or I'm blind and its right there in front of me). Its a shame, because its fairly long and focuses on Evans and Barnett's upcoming trips, including comments from Dwayne that he focused on 3 point shooting and ballhandling to improve his game this summer.

Lastly, the article said Crews doesn't "expect" to use the last scholly. You never know when something unexpected might happen.

Looks like they just recently put it up.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/evans-summer-hoops-school-leads-to-africa/article_f29b3f37-ed0e-5e71-9531-de4071977ba9.html

So only 11 eligible players next year with one open scholarship and the transfer sitting out the season. We will need everyone to stay healthy.

Yep, Most are keepers. I think by season's end any thought that the incoming class would get no or little PT will seem quaint.

I'm sure if JC wanted to fill he could have w/ an Obi or Horace Dixon type player. Glad he held it back for next year as he must feel confident he's got some guys in the pipeline that are better options than some marginal player who'll never help much.

Imagining DE drilling 3s makes me really excited (to put it mildly..). Are we getting open practices this season?

I'm glad DE is working hard on his outside shooting and ball control BUT it scared me that he will think that he needs to prove his value to pro scouts by becomming a smaller version of Cody Ellis. Unless RA plays a lot of minutes and is the player we hope he is, we need DE to be a factor on the boards as he has in the past.

On a related subject, I knew Dwayne came on strong at the end of last year but until reading the stats on the last 10 games, especially the last 5 or so I did not remember how well he played. Besides being a great Billiken BB player he is a great representative of the program-RM's shining jewel of his years at SLU. A class player and even better person.

I believe DE is looking to expand his game, not become the replacment part for CE. Seems logical --- if you scout this team based on the stretch run last year, you will no doubt come to the conclusion that DE does his best work in the paint. But that was with defenders having to be conscious of Loe, Ellis, Barnett, McCall and Mitchell on the perimter. Two of those are gone with no real replacements identified. DE has to expand his game to keep defenses honest. I don't think it's a replacement move, just an augmentation move.

I also believe kshoe's statement ... about something unexpected could happen.

I'm glad DE is working hard on his outside shooting and ball control BUT it scared me that he will think that he needs to prove his value to pro scouts by becomming a smaller version of Cody Ellis. Unless RA plays a lot of minutes and is the player we hope he is, we need DE to be a factor on the boards as he has in the past.

On a related subject, I knew Dwayne came on strong at the end of last year but until reading the stats on the last 10 games, especially the last 5 or so I did not remember how well he played. Besides being a great Billiken BB player he is a great representative of the program-RM's shining jewel of his years at SLU. A class player and even better person.

I can remeber at least one post game interview where Dwayne was fielding questions and answering them like a really good presidential press secretary while a clearly uncomfortable Mike Mccall was doing one word answers.

That was an absolute clinic.

The first round A-10 tourney game against Charlotte was just as good if not better. He did more of his damage in the paint and it seemed like he made his first 8 or 9 shots of the game.

The first round A-10 tourney game against Charlotte was just as good if not better. He did more of his damage in the paint and it seemed like he made his first 8 or 9 shots of the game.

Agreed. However, the hype surrounding the NMST game was crazy. "How will DE ever handle that 7' 5" ogre"...... then he made him look a circus sideshow

Two things Whitesell said Sat AM that they were set so to me that confirms scholarship issue; since everyone but Whitesell went to Vegas and there were only two days of active recruiting left I decided to wait for everyone to hear same thing

Are we still after Strawberry to walk on?

Strawberry has reclassified as a 2014 recruit (prep school) and has removed SLU from his interest list.

Regarding the last scholarship, Crews "doesn't expect to use it." That seems to leave the door open for another potential transfer, the way I read it. I can't imagine he'd pass up the chance if a very good player became available and there was mutual interest. He's clearly fine with 11 scholarship players available this season. This just means he doesn't have any particular 2013 target at the moment.

"SLU has one remaining scholarship to offer for this season, but Crews said he doesn’t expect to use it. That will leave SLU with six scholarships for next season."

Seems like he was decent 3 pt'er before he was totally the beast. Plus we had 5 guys I almost always wanted to take open 3 so he was not needed or imo wanted to launch 3 too often.

I thought most of DE's 3 attempts (granted, there were only 19 of them) came from the elbow to the baseline/corner. I don't envision him knocking down transition 3s from the top of the key, but this could be a great area for him to wreak HAVOC from. Think, Kawhi Leonard on the Spurs.

I think he needs to work on his handle a lt if has any chance at The League.

His best feature is body control which makes him hard to guard although he is not quick

While I don't want to see Evans jacking up 6 3s a game honing his outside shot is a good idea. He moved away from it last year since we had few other post options but that won't be as open this season. I expect him to be double teamed the majority of the time in the post and hacked on mercilessly. This will be Rob Loe's time to shine. He must hit open 3s this year and establish himself inside enough to take the pressure off Dwayne.

Strawberry has reclassified as a 2014 recruit (prep school) and has removed SLU from his interest list.

Regarding the last scholarship, Crews "doesn't expect to use it." That seems to leave the door open for another potential transfer, the way I read it. I can't imagine he'd pass up the chance if a very good player became available and there was mutual interest. He's clearly fine with 11 scholarship players available this season. This just means he doesn't have any particular 2013 target at the moment.

"SLU has one remaining scholarship to offer for this season, but Crews said he doesn’t expect to use it. That will leave SLU with six scholarships for next season."

Since nothing is absolute you could say that about anything. If I asked you if you were expecting to stay at your job for next year and you answered "yes I am not looking" but then 6 months down the line someone walked in and offered you a great opportunity and lots more money no one would say - see he really was looking. Don't get caught up on dicing Crews's words - I think he really believes he is done for this year but of course who would turn down a gold nugget that just falls in your lap.

Since nothing is absolute you could say that about anything. If I asked you if you were expecting to stay at your job for next year and you answered "yes I am not looking" but then 6 months down the line someone walked in and offered you a great opportunity and lots more money no one would say - see he really was looking. Don't get caught up on dicing Crews's words - I think he really believes he is done for this year but of course who would turn down a gold nugget that just falls in your lap.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It just seemed to me that a lot of people were acting like this was conclusive proof that we're done with 2013. Maybe not. 50-50.

I don't remember any talk about how DE was going to handle the 7'5" guy from NMSt. He was never going to guard that guy.

DE increasing his range and handles can only be a good thing. It'll bring his defender out and prevent teams from being able to switch off of him. If he can hit the 3 and become better at putting the ball on the floor as teams close out on him, it just opens up his game. He's always scored in the paint, but he really turned it on towards the end of the season. I would imagine teams will be looking to defend him with more size this year. To counter that he has to stretch his game. I love the fact he and the staff have identified what he needs to do and he's working on it.