KFNS

I'm having a slow day and so is the board so has anyone listened to the new "look" fans radio. New management wants to turn the station into guys radio and so far its been pretty rough. They are going to run out of TV and Movie critics to interview pretty quickly. Maybe Bonwich can get a food gig on how to grill hot dogs. Ramsey and Claiborne weren't bad at it because they are use to shooting the breeze about TV and stuff. The morning drive guys were just terrible. Maybe new management will replace half of these guys . Tony Kornheisers non sport sport show was great because he was an interesting guy. I'm afraid most of their guys aren't very interesting.

today and it was terrible. I started flipping around looking for sports talk on other stations. Granted the new format may get some guys that are only casually interested in sports but they are going to lose the diehards like me. The only good thing about them not talking sports was I didn't have to hear about hockey.

yes even frank's show has sunk to the depth's of a bad batchelor party. it is just pitiful. who is the genius that decided we wanted to listen to this stuff. ocassional remarks and short discussions are one thing, but non-stop man show is not why i tune in 590 or 1380. it is actually painful to listen to imo. i hope they would at least take this off of frank.

but the bad is that it makes the likes of mckernan the star instead of frank who it is plain to hear is uncomfortable with this b.s. frank, put your show back on course. if mckernan and kline dont want to talk sports, do it by yourself or find someone else.

The problem is that it is HARD to be funny and entertaining on the radio. Ramsey and company are not funny. Kornheiser was unique in that he combined sports with other things and kept it all in a higher end intelligence level. Too many shows across the country are trying and failing.

I read Ceasar's article on tips for radio shows the other day. While I usually disagree often with Ceasar, it was pretty solid. If you are going to be a sports radio program, get off of your bleep and get into the locker rooms, get info, interviews with the big folks, go to games, and watch them nightly...it is their job.

I travel quite a bit, as for the guy in Chicago,(often there) ...I feel for ya because you would think in the nation's 3rd largest market, radio would be better. Jay Mariotti is like a grade schooler getting a shot at the big leagues. He is so overmatched. Most people in Chicago listen to 670 the score, which is 100% local programming. ESPN 1000 is going more and more that rout adding Mariotti and a few others....making it difficult to get national programming through there. You can get away with a lot of tunnel vision local programming in places like St. Louis, but I am not so sure in big cities with a lot of transplants from everywhere. Besides every other word through there is St. Louis sucks, or "hated St. Louis" or it is a nothign city cow town. They are obsessed with hating St. Louis.

I have now lived in 3 decent sized markets. When I left St. Louis in '96 KMOX was still the Mighty Mox and now even though they have the gazillion Watts, I am not too sure that is still the case. KFNS was and apparently still is pretty much a JOKE of an all sports radio station. Since my departure there have been some new additions that do sports and I will bow to you locals as to how they are doing.

Seattle had a pretty decent all sports radio station who had a very entertaining morning guy by the name of Mitch Levy who always had good guests of national stature and he was funny to boot. The guys on later in the day while not as good were at least informative.

Then we get to Tampa and they have a couple stations that try to do an all sports format and neither is very good as they have to say the least p!ss poor radio talent who are boring to say the least. The one radio station is so bad that they have went to an almost exclusive ESPN feed and they just recently lost the Bucs who are the flag ship pro sports franchise in the area to the other all sports station.

If Caesar's take was that most of the all sports radio guys are lazy then I'd more or less buy into that sentiment...at least from my experience in these 3 markets.