Recruiting 2015

I dont see contributions from either of these guys next year. What schools did we beat out for Neufeld? Washington St and St Mary's?....Hello Tanner Lancona.

When a message board cannot get excited about a recruit's youtube highlights, that is when you know there is a problem. Crews can preach staying the course all he wants...but he better realize that this years roster, a year older, does not win more than 15 games next year.

I know nothing drastic will ever happen in the positive bc we are SLU, but I hope Crews has something up his sleeve for 2015...

Respectfully,

Nick aka "Mr. Doom and Gloom"

Neufeld came down to SLU and St. Mary's. Clemson was another finalist but he cancelled his visit and made his commitment. Colorado was another late player. He had an offer from Washington, not Washington State (HUGE talent difference between those two programs).

He's also a much different player than Lancona. Plays at the basket, solid frame that will be able to add bulk, skilled big man.

As much as I've criticized Crews' inabilities when it comes to recruiting and coaching up, I like the Neufeld signing. Welmer, on the other hand, I'm just not sold on.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonawelding had a freshman PG averaging 10 ppg and 4 apg. Why couldn't we have landed a player of that caliber last year or land one similar this spring? BTW, this kid was a spring recruit in 2014 out of Baltimore.

And regarding jucos, Posley signed with Bona out of Indian Hills CC, so there is another example of an impact player signing with a private school in a mid-major program.

Jaylen Adams at Bona is a redshirt freshman.

Posley is playing out of his mind. There's nothing about his prior stops at Ball State (6.5 ppg on 33% shooting) and Indian Hills(fourth leading scorer) that suggests he would be an impact player at St. Bonaventure this year. You got me there.

I will be disappointed if Jolly is back. After a year of prep school, he gave it a shot, but it should be clear to the kid he doesn't have a future at this level.

I'd like to tell you that you're being a little premature, but I fear that you may be right.

Good comments. As far as next year's recruits, I am not sold on either for the reason that I have not seen either of them play. They both may be great. They both may be terrible. One good, one bad. I am not able to judge, and even if I could, I don't believe it would be proper to trash a kid before he sets foot on campus.

As to possible transfers, again, I don't think it is proper to speculate. Just not fair to anyone.

As to Crews and his recruiting philosophy and practices, however, I am concerned. First, I believe we have too many bigs on our team this year and next year's recruits are both bigs (replacing GG and JM) so we will have too many bigs again next year IMO. Second, I am concerned that this is the second year in a row in which we are giving a scholarship to bigs going to prep school and yet they still may not be ready to play as Freshmen. I understand that bigs take time to develop Brett Jolly appears further behind Austin Gillmann and yet Jolly spent a year in Prep School. Next year, we have 2 bigs coming in and both are currently at Prep School and yet some speculate that neither may be ready to contribute next year. Just seems like we are investing alot into high school Seniors whom we then convince to go to to Prep School (Jolly 2 years ago and Wellmer last year), then we have to re-recuit them while in Prep School and then they arrive and are not yet ready to contribute. We currently have a two (2) Juniors who both played elsewhere, who both have been with out team for multiple years, who both are 4 years removed from high school and who are both not able to be counted on still. I don't get it. If the upside is really good, then I will be patient. If not, I scratch my head and question the use of the limited resources. Are there not high school bigs who can come to SLU straight from high school?

Second, I would like to know what deals Crews worked out with Jolly two (2) years ago and Welmer last year. If they don't develop/gain sufficient size and strength in Prep School, is Crews nonetheless honoring his agreements? Will he honor all scholarship with all players for the full four (4) years if they pass the BillikenRoy test -- regardless of how they do on the Court, they stay if they are a good citizen/student?

-Clock, what if Crews honored his agreement because he didn't have a plan B? I don't if the case, just wondering

-you lose me when you are talking about bigs and then throw out about our two juniors, neither of which are bigs

Good comments. As far as next year's recruits, I am not sold on either for the reason that I have not seen either of them play. They both may be great. They both may be terrible. One good, one bad. I am not able to judge, and even if I could, I don't believe it would be proper to trash a kid before he sets foot on campus.

As to possible transfers, again, I don't think it is proper to speculate. Just not fair to anyone.

As to Crews and his recruiting philosophy and practices, however, I am concerned. First, I believe we have too many bigs on our team this year and next year's recruits are both bigs (replacing GG and JM) so we will have too many bigs again next year IMO. Second, I am concerned that this is the second year in a row in which we are giving a scholarship to bigs going to prep school and yet they still may not be ready to play as Freshmen. I understand that bigs take time to develop Brett Jolly appears further behind Austin Gillmann and yet Jolly spent a year in Prep School. Next year, we have 2 bigs coming in and both are currently at Prep School and yet some speculate that neither may be ready to contribute next year. Just seems like we are investing alot into high school Seniors whom we then convince to go to to Prep School (Jolly 2 years ago and Wellmer last year), then we have to re-recuit them while in Prep School and then they arrive and are not yet ready to contribute. We currently have a two (2) Juniors who both played elsewhere, who both have been with out team for multiple years, who both are 4 years removed from high school and who are both not able to be counted on still. I don't get it. If the upside is really good, then I will be patient. If not, I scratch my head and question the use of the limited resources. Are there not high school bigs who can come to SLU straight from high school?

Second, I would like to know what deals Crews worked out with Jolly two (2) years ago and Welmer last year. If they don't develop/gain sufficient size and strength in Prep School, is Crews nonetheless honoring his agreements? Will he honor all scholarship with all players for the full four (4) years if they pass the BillikenRoy test -- regardless of how they do on the Court, they stay if they are a good citizen/student?

I have that same concern. In hindsight, there was no reason to sign BJ in the fall last year. If you don't have a good viable big in the fall, don't force it. Tell BJ we will stay in touch and evaluate how he does DURING his prep school season. If he looks like a player, then offer him in the spring. If not, then move on to other targets. If you happen to lose BJ under this arrangement, so be it. He just doesn't seem like the kind of kid with upside that you had to offer in the fall.

Coming off our third consecutive NCAA Tourney trip, we probably would have been better off having one or two more available scholarships heading into the spring. We were able to land our best recruit MY in the spring. BJ is just not the caliber of recruit you have to offer early.

Jaylen Adams at Bona is a redshirt freshman.

Posley is playing out of his mind. There's nothing about his prior stops at Ball State (6.5 ppg on 33% shooting) and Indian Hills(fourth leading scorer) that suggests he would be an impact player at St. Bonaventure this year. You got me there.

According to this, that is not true. He signed last spring - http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20140428nxmf5r

That leads me to another point about recruiting I have brought up - if we are going to be in an Eastern centric conference, it would make to have some recruiting pipelines on the East Coast. Xavier had a lot of success in the A-10 as they were building there program getting kids from the East Coast.

We've had success in Chicago, so that certainly makes sense to work that area, but if a kid like Adams from Baltimore can wind up at freakin' Bonawelding, we should be able to pluck a few kids from Eastern big cities.

We are showing mild interest in Donovan Franklin, a 6'5 shooting guard out of O'Fallon (IL). Doesn't sound like we're much of a player though. He had a good relationship with Coach Lepore and is looking at San Jose State as well as some local schools like SIUC and SIUE.

And to add on, what ability, if any, have we seen from Crews and his staff to develop players? Big or small.

We are showing mild interest in Donovan Franklin, a 6'5 shooting guard out of O'Fallon (IL). Doesn't sound like we're much of a player though. He had a good relationship with Coach Lepore and is looking at San Jose State as well as some local schools like SIUC and SIUE.

Interesting, I have only seen him play once and don't have a real strong opinon of his talent level. Maybe Roy can weigh in on Franklin in his weekly post. Based on stats alone, I am surprised he does not have more recruiting interest. Does he have offers from the schools you mention?

Interesting, I have only seen him play once and don't have a real strong opinon of his talent level. Maybe Roy can weigh in on Franklin in his weekly post. Based on stats alone, I am surprised he does not have more recruiting interest. Does he have offers from the schools you mention?

I know he has offers from SIUC and SIUE. I really don't know about anyone else. Doesn't seem like we're much of a player, but we have been in contact with him at least at some point.

-I hope we are not reaching

According to this, that is not true. He signed last spring - http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20140428nxmf5r

That leads me to another point about recruiting I have brought up - if we are going to be in an Eastern centric conference, it would make to have some recruiting pipelines on the East Coast. Xavier had a lot of success in the A-10 as they were building there program getting kids from the East Coast.

We've had success in Chicago, so that certainly makes sense to work that area, but if a kid like Adams from Baltimore can wind up at freakin' Bonawelding, we should be able to pluck a few kids from Eastern big cities.

That was the date he received his financial aid package from the school. At the end of his redshirt year.

http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20131102fq35v8

That was the date he received his financial aid package from the school. At the end of his redshirt year.

http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20131102fq35v8

Interesting for a lot of reasons. He went from 6-4 and then shrunk to 6-0? Also, the link I posted indicated that he actually played last year at a school in Baltimore, so it looks like he was not enrolled at Bona until this year.