Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mfiondu Kabengele: F, 6-9, 235, Burlington, Ontario (Don Bosco Prep, NJ)Offers: SLU, St. Bonaventure, Boston College, Florida State, Georgia, Vermont, Binghamton, Grand Canyon. Interest: None. Latest News: SLU is Kabengele’s latest offer. He visited Florida State in mid-January. Scouting Report: Kabengele is a late bloomer from a recruiting standpoint; his first offer was Binghamton in September. He has a 7-1 wingspan but handles the ball like a guard. He has added significant weight since the offseason, filling out his long frame. He’s a confident shooter with range and a disruptive defender. Twitter: @ItsMfiondu

Thank you for the information Pistol, you do a great job with information about possible SLU recruits.

Thank you for the information Pistol, you do a great job with information about possible SLU recruits.

Don't thank me, a couple other posters broke these names to the board. I just compile it and keep track of them once they're on our radar.

I'll be out from Thursday until at least 2/6, by the way, so I'll miss Diarra's announcement. I'm guessing K-State is in the driver's seat.

Any recruiting news is always welcomed but honestly how can you get excited knowing that nobody is going to commit to us given the uncertainty of Crews still being here.

My gut feeling tells me coach Crews will be back next year only because I have zero information concerning his status. Based on results of last season and this season I could see a recruit wanting to win and going somewhere else.

Any recruiting news is always welcomed but honestly how can you get excited knowing that nobody is going to commit to us given the uncertainty of Crews still being here.

-has there been discussion outside of this board about the future of Jim Crews as our coach?

My gut feeling tells me coach Crews will be back next year only because I have zero information concerning his status. Based on results of last season and this season I could see a recruit wanting to win and going somewhere else.

My gut feeling says that Crews will be back because SLU can't run a basketball program and is fine with being mediocre. I burned my degree years ago...

Not much footage on Edwards. I haven't seen him since last year when he played second fiddle on a loaded Lake Forest squad that featured Evan Boudreaux as the go-to guy. Supposedly his game has evolved a lot from the past few seasons when he was considered a fringe D1 prospect.

Something that I find interesting with the staff continuing to offer kids is the fact that we have no open scholarships to fill. While I'm sure it will be mentioned, if it hasn't already, one would thing openings need to pop up if we are offering. So my question is, how many scholarships do people believe will be open at the end of the year? Either transfers or not renewed. Note: I'm not advocating for removal of any players, that is cruel. Merely posing a simple question of how many familiar faces won't be around next year.

Ooooh, another chance at a Jordair Jett transfer projection. Yay!!!

I think the only locks to return at this point are Agbeko and Crawford. These are the juniors with little time left to go elsewhere. Same with Hines although we don't really know if he'll get his renewed or not. I would think so. He has represented the University well. Just don't know what, if any, promises were made. So three guys I'll say are locks.

The fourth guy to me most likely is Welmer. Hasn't played yet and has used that one year in the five -years-to-play-four already with the current injury redshirt. He also has no body of work to sell to any other potential scholarship suitors. I'd also lend positively towards Neufeld and Bishop. So six plus Moore equal seven.

I think any of the current sophomores could be considered candidates to transfer. This is the usual time guys bolt -- two years in, sit out a year, two left to play. I think the main question is who would take them? Of the group, I think Gillmann has shown the least gumption to go. So he's #8. The other five all seem like plausible candidates: Jolly, Yarbrough, Roby, Bartley and Reynolds. I won't bash Jolly, that's been done enough. Yarbrough will be interesting to watch here as he comes back and dodges the concussion protocol item. Some have said to me he's gone, but we'll see. Roby seems to have regressed and his playing time reflects that. Bartley is pretty much meh --- injury or whatever. Reynolds remains the one-trick-pony .... drive and Academy Award contact. Reynolds is not a shooter so he's not a two guard yet. He is also not a distributor but needs the ball to draw the contact Award, ergo not a point guard. Neither Reynolds, Bartley nor Roby were instinctive enough to run the show and I think that's why you see better movement, fluidity and defense when you have Bishop and Hines in there with Crawford and Yacoubou.

So I'd say upwards of six transfer could occur. But that large of a number seems ludicrous. So does four, but you never know. Some advocate NEVER running off kids. It's been said if a kid is a good teammate, citizen and tries, then he should be allowed to stay. The coaching staff made the offer and therefore the mistake, should they not live with it ala Justin Johnson, Ross Varner, Vashun Newbourn, Dwayne Polk and many other stiffs before them?

Where can they go to get a better education and who would offer them is beyond me. Its Division 2 or lower with maybe the exception of Yarbrough. But in every case, buyer beware.

I think the only locks to return at this point are Agbeko and Crawford. These are the juniors with little time left to go elsewhere. Same with Hines although we don't really know if he'll get his renewed or not. I would think so. He has represented the University well. Just don't know what, if any, promises were made. So three guys I'll say are locks.

The fourth guy to me most likely is Welmer. Hasn't played yet and has used that one year in the five -years-to-play-four already with the current injury redshirt. He also has no body of work to sell to any other potential scholarship suitors. I'd also lend positively towards Neufeld and Bishop. So six plus Moore equal seven.

Just an ideal question, but are either Agbeko or Crawford on schedule to graduate in three years? That would qualify them for the ubiquitous Graduate Student daily double. Any D1 player can downgrade to D2 and play immediately. Just sayin'.