Recruiting - 2016

This is why a 5th year senior or Grandy back is important for next year. That way even if you save one of the open scholarships, and the other one is to land the 5th year player. You have 3 scholarships going into the next recruiting class, yes someone from the Freshman 6 will possibly leave after next year but its no guarantee and I think you will need at least two scholarships open for the 2015 Fall Signing period like we originally had, but 3 would be better.

They leave or let's say you know one of them will not fit in the plans, you release them from their Scolly.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many offers do we have out to local kids? Tatum, Cook, Yess, Sneed. Who else? Seriously if you are in the know tell us. I count 3 times that many local kids who are worthy of offers. It isn't like it used to be, the best metro area players are all 3 star recruits, the days of Joel Shelton being the best player in the area are over.

I think you hit all of the known offers beyond maybe ESL sophomore Jeremiah Tilmon (not sure whether he has an offer, but the kid is definitely high major). I don't think he has an offer, but I think Althoff sophomore Jordan Goodwin could be deserving of one. Other kids who may be worth following include the other kids at Althoff (juniors Tarkus Ferguson and Brendan Gooch and possibly the sophomore Bateman), CBC junior Jordan Barnes, Okawvile sophomore Noah Frederking, SLUH sophomore Brandon McKissic, Vianney freshman Carte'Are Gordon, and Whitfield freshman Torrence Watson. I think someone else has mentioned Webster Groves freshman Courtney Ramey as being a player to look out for as well.

Tatum article in the paper today:

http://m.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/tatum-s-talent-puts-him-in-spotlight-and-crosshairs/article_d24707d0-da93-11e4-ae19-139c66f05b99.html?mobile_touch=true

Not sure I would have made the lead of the article that he's got a lot of detractors but still a good read. Certainly some good and not so good parts in it for slu fans.

By the way, I hear he will be on campus for a visit april 15.

No doubt it would be a special deal. I'm highly doubtful though. He's one and done and he wants to make that one special. When he watches the final 4 does he see SLU there or the other 4 schools more likely to give him that special feeling? I really think that will be his deciding factor. He will be the whole show here. If I was going to mention anything to him it would be, did you see what Larry Bird did for lil' Ol' Indiana State in '79, well, maybe you can do that here. It would be special and you'd have a whole city behind you.

Just because Tatum goes to a blue blood doesn't mean he will make the final four. Duke got bounced with Jabari and Wiggins didn't accomplish much at Kansas. This doesn't mean SLU is the best chance, but nothing is a guarantee and none of us know what his desires are until he announces.

Just because Tatum goes to a blue blood doesn't mean he will make the final four. Duke got bounced with Jabari and Wiggins didn't accomplish much at Kansas. This doesn't mean SLU is the best chance, but nothing is a guarantee and none of us know what his desires are until he announces.

All true, but we can always dream! :D

i think JT junior may have a different perspective. He comments that he thinks he can be a 1st round pick from any school. He will only be able to play in front of his family every home game for one year. That might well be priceless memories that he values. it will be interesting to see what happens.

My point wasn't to come off as negative. I personally think the draw to come home and try and surpass Hughes could be a huge factor since there are so many unknowns in CBB and successful seasons.

But what you point out is fact, Kentucky just made it to the Final Four, but easily could have lost to ND. JT on SLU's team with the Freshman as Juniors may well be a Final Four type team but there are no Guarantees in Life......Having Chaney as a Coach and role model has to help.

Carbondale offered both Brendon Gooch and Tarkus Ferguson last week. I thought that the lack of Valley offers for Ferguson up to this point might be due to academic concerns. We'll see if the rest of the Valley follows.

Gooch is about 10 lb away from blowing up in mid-major recruiting circles. He's unlikely to pick up that extra weight with all the basketball he'll be playing this summer. Good news for us. There's going to a logjam at guard next year and a scholarship opening up is inevitable. Hopefully that open scholarship goes to a talented local like Gooch, if he's still available. 6'6 wings who can handle, shoot and rebound don't grow on trees.

But what you point out is fact, Kentucky just made it to the Final Four, but easily could have lost to ND. JT on SLU's team with the Freshman as Juniors may well be a Final Four type team but there are no Guarantees in Life......Having Chaney as a Coach and role model has to help.

I have been shot down & this board everytime I mention Cheaney. I believe his positive impact on the players as a coach, role model and over all experience with play an increasing role in pulling some talent in & developing the kids. SLU will no doubt be in JTs top five and then we will see them ratchet up the recruiting even more.

I have been shot down & this board everytime I mention Cheaney. I believe his positive impact on the players as a coach, role model and over all experience with play an increasing role in pulling some talent in & developing the kids. SLU will no doubt be in JTs top five and then we will see them ratchet up the recruiting even more.

What?

Who on this Board does not appreciate Cheaney and all he does for our team?

Final 5:

Duke

North Carolina

SLU

Kansas

Kentucky.

I have heard that Mizzou is still very much in play. I heard this from a reliable source for SLU info but not sure how much he knows about Tatum's recruitment. I would see Mizzou replacing either Kansas or UNC on that list if he is correct.

I have heard that Mizzou is still very much in play. I heard this from a reliable source for SLU info but not sure how much he knows about Tatum's recruitment. I would see Mizzou replacing either Kansas or UNC on that list if he is correct.

Mizzou would surprise me to still be in the running. They lost any coaches that would have been developing a relationship with him for more than a year and that program is a mess right now with rumors they could have more than just their top scorer transferring. I would think if he wants to stay home, SLU would be the leader otherwise it will be an elite program with a big name coach where he will end up. Mizzou with Anderson does not fit in that category.

Not to mention there are people talking that if Anderson has a bad year next year, he could be gone after that as this is a new AD that did not hire him and has been known to make quicker changes.

Missouri is in worse shape than SLU - why would go there over us? If you are not going to a blue blood then stay home and play in StL not Columbia.

Mizzou would surprise me to still be in the running. They lost any coaches that would have been developing a relationship with him for more than a year and that program is a mess right now with rumors they could have more than just their top scorer transferring. I would think if he wants to stay home, SLU would be the leader otherwise it will be an elite program with a big name coach where he will end up. Mizzou with Anderson does not fit in that category.

Not to mention there are people talking that if Anderson has a bad year next year, he could be gone after that as this is a new AD that did not hire him and has been known to make quicker changes.

Not trying to convince you guys. Just passing along information I have heard from a reliable source. Apologies for sharing.

The list shared by RiseAndGrind is in line with most of what I know about the situation although you don't hear UNC mentioned much.