Recruiting - 2016

duke does scare me, because tatum seems to be a very white black guy. i think there's a very real upside to staying home, though. you can be the best billiken EVER, still go to the tournament, still go top 5 in the draft, or be like the 35th best guy to ever go to duke, UK, KU, etc., definitely compete for a national championship, but also compete to even be the best guy on your team.

i think it would be so hard to go from being THE MAN to being just another guy on the bench, until i was getting paid for it (NBA), at least.

Or maybe he is his own person? I'm sorry he doesn't fit your expectation of what a black guy is.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they draw the line at offering kids in junior high school?

Just seems odd that we would be one of the last to offer and waited until after his freshman season during which elite programs had already pulled the trigger. I don't think it matters, but I thought that was surprising to read and tough to justify. 9th grade is his freshman year, not junior high.

Dwayne Evans wasn't Karl Malone or anything, but he used to tweet about getting crap for "talking white" just because he could put a sentence together.

Wow. That is really sad. Dwayne was one of the brightest athletes I have talked to at SLU and there have been some very smart kids playing sports at SLU. Eckerle was very bright, Jeff Harris was very bright, Ted Mimlitz was very bright (another pre-med guy). That is one of the things I like about our programs, we have recruited some very good students. And, yes, some knuckleheads, I remember them when I was there...

Now, as for Tatum, I think he is going to go wherever he feels he is going to have the best one year experience and where he can have the best legacy. He has mentioned leaving a legacy in at least one interview. That could mean anything, but he seems like a smart kid with his head on straight - a credit to good parenting!

Dwayne Evans wasn't Karl Malone or anything, but he used to tweet about getting crap for "talking white" just because he could put a sentence together.

This is a vast misunderstanding. Dwayne Evans is SHAFT. And a shrewd future businessman with a 10-inch pecker.

Seems like a bit of a cheap shot. When the product is good, the students show up. The student section went all the way to the rafters against VCU.

All they have to do is walk a block. There are some die hards that consistently show up as I'm sure most of this board did when we were there, but the student support has been poor as long as I have been going to the games which is since 78.

All they have to do is walk a block. There are some die hards that consistently show up as I'm sure most of this board did when we were there, but the student support has been poor as long as I have been going to the games which is since 78.

As a current student who goes to every home game, it is disheartening but true that this is the case. There is a general attitude of disinterest from upperclassmen because we are rebuilding and freshmen don't care either because they don't want to "waste their time". It is unfortunate that it is this way.

As a current student who goes to every home game, it is disheartening but true that this is the case. There is a general attitude of disinterest from upperclassmen because we are rebuilding and freshmen don't care either because they don't want to "waste their time". It is unfortunate that it is this way.

Too many pricks are worried about studying

SLU students in general are pretty much bandwagoners when it comes to sports.

2016 is a tough year to be looking for a point guard. The class of 2016 in Illinois is the weakest it's been in years, particularly at the point guard position. If CBC's Jordan Barnes were on the other side of the river, he'd likely be considered a top 5 point guard in the state.

What are your thoughts on Jordan Barnes?

I think Barnes does everything you want a pure point guard to do. He can sroke it from outside and from the free throw line, he can penetrate, he finds the open man, he does a good job of keeping his dribble alive when lanes are shut down. He's not a speed merchant but he is quick. He's a pest on defense. Obviously we haven't seen him against a college-level press yet, but he makes good decisions with the ball when under duress. He's not an explosive athlete, so he's not going to finish at the rim.

I know his slight build is a turn-off for some but what that really amounts to is this: If he plays at our level or even the MVC, his lack of strength will be a glaring liability as a freshman. The ideal situation would be for him to be a reserve guard for a couple of years. But 15 lbs later, you'll have the prototypical point guard everyone has been clamoring for.

I think Barnes does everything you want a pure point guard to do. He can sroke it from outside and from the free throw line, he can penetrate, he finds the open man, he does a good job of keeping his dribble alive when lanes are shut down. He's not a speed merchant but he is quick. He's a pest on defense. Obviously we haven't seen him against a college-level press yet, but he makes good decisions with the ball when under duress. He's not an explosive athlete, so he's not going to finish at the rim.

I know his slight build is a turn-off for some but what that really amounts to is this: If he plays at our level or even the MVC, his lack of strength will be a glaring liability as a freshman. The ideal situation would be for him to be a reserve guard for a couple of years. But 15 lbs later, you'll have the prototypical point guard everyone has been clamoring for.

I do think his lack of athleticism for his size is a legitimate concern. I think he plays an overall solid game like you highlighted, I am just having a tough time determining what level I think he is capable of playing at in college.