Follow Baseball in A10 Tournament

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while i admit i havent followed the billiken baseball team all that close, the accomplishments since darrin has taken over as coach seem to be quite amazing, especially when you consider the rumored handicap saint louis university puts on the non revenue sports budgetwise.

maybe some of our former billiken baseball players that post on the board could weigh in on this topic and confirm or rebute my statement above? thanks i will hang up and listen.

while i admit i havent followed the billiken baseball team all that close, the accomplishments since darrin has taken over as coach seem to be quite amazing, especially when you consider the rumored handicap saint louis university puts on the non revenue sports budgetwise.

maybe some of our former billiken baseball players that post on the board could weigh in on this topic and confirm or rebute my statement above? thanks i will hang up and listen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broy, having played in the early 70's, our total budget for baseball was around $5-6K. That included everything. My junior year, the parents got heavily involved and we raised enough money for new (and very needed) uniforms and other equipment. The next year, our budget got cut because the athletic department figured we could raise that kind of money again. We practiced at Forest Park on the same crappy diamonds that we played on as little kids and our home games were at ABC Park in St. Ann. When we had some home games against the local teams, we had to drive farther than they did.

You are correct in that Coach Hendrickson has done an amazing job of upgrading the program, although Darrin's budge for travel is in the six figure neighborhood. It is exciting to see the consistent improvement and their success.

Gotta stop getting to the A-10s and pissing it away...

extremely insightful...thanks for the $.02 Gabby

The former players I talk to have a tremendous amount of respect for the job Darrin has done. They know what the program was like. We need to do everything possible to get him to stay which means a lot bigger budget. Darrin was a fantastic hire