Recruiting - 2014

Drake may have gotten a huge steal in Arogundade. I think we would have been one of his finalists if he ever came up with an official top 3 or 5. I'm a little surprised he committed to Drake this early. He did have the attention of some bigger programs, even if he didn't have a ton of offers. On paper, SLU was his biggest offer.

Anyway, moving on...

I like Bartley. Love the academic numbers there. Things seem to be really heating up between SLU and him. He said his recruitment with Northwestern is "basically over." His parents went to Creighton, and their offer appears to be maybe the biggest competition. DePaul, too. I'm not sure how live the Oklahoma State offer still is.

Does he project as a PG at the next level? He's 6-4 according to recent articles, which means he's growing. He's skinny and looks long in photos, too.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LaChance had a ton of offers before we contacted him, so I never felt good about our chances there. I like what I've seen from him and he should be a nice addition to any of those rosters, whether he ends up being a role player or bigger contributor.

With Hammond, I don't think we were ever a strong suitor, nor did he seem interest. Things with Nebraska really took off in the past few weeks.

LaChance had a ton of offers before we contacted him, so I never felt good about our chances there. I like what I've seen from him and he should be a nice addition to any of those rosters, whether he ends up being a role player or bigger contributor.

With Hammond, I don't think we were ever a strong suitor, nor did he seem interest. Things with Nebraska really took off in the past few weeks.

Couple of things:

1) Drake recently added an assistant that was from Northern Illinois. While at Northern Illinois, said assistant offered Arongundade his first scholarship. Essentially, he's been recruiting him forever. Bad break.

2) Agreed. I think SLU is/was interested (read: has/had more of a chance) with LaChance's teammate Brady Ellingson. However, I don't think that is very serious either.

3) Hammond was never really in play apparently. One thing I'm learning about Verbal Commits is that they seem to jump the gun a bit. Love the aggregation but buyer beware.

We were never really in on either of these guys. Nothing to worry about with this particular news.

I am worried overall. A Bartley commitment would be good.

Yeah. I'm not really broken up about either. Right now I'm hoping / thinking we are most likely to get Bartley and Ike. Add in one of the Pattersons (hopefully Jayln) and maybe McCaw. That is a very solid class.

There are still a lot of names on the list and most of them I would be very happy with.

Also some news on McCaw:

2014 G/F Pat McCaw will transfer to Trinity HS to play for his father.

I've got mixed emotions about this. It is nice that he will get to play for his dad and I think it might improve SLU's chances because he might not get as much exposure at Trinity as he would have at CBC with Barnett and Doby. However, it is probably not a good choice for McCaw developmentally. He won't have as strong of competition at Trinity and will likely be counted on the carry the team rather than learn how to play as part of his team.

Couple of things:

1) Drake recently added an assistant that was from Northern Illinois. While at Northern Illinois, said assistant offered Arongundade his first scholarship. Essentially, he's been recruiting him forever. Bad break.

2) Agreed. I think SLU is/was interested (read: has/had more of a chance) with LaChance's teammate Brady Ellingson. However, I don't think that is very serious either.

3) Hammond was never really in play apparently. One thing I'm learning about Verbal Commits is that they seem to jump the gun a bit. Love the aggregation but buyer beware.

Ellingson seems to have a ton of offers, too, but the next tier down from LaChance. But yeah, that doesn't seem to be a serious one at this point, either.

I have mixed feelings on the aggregation at VC, mostly positive. They have a high/medium/low interest scale as part of the system, but most default to medium, with high and low seldom used. It might be ambitious on their part to even have that; it'd be a nightmare to track the interest levels of every recruit for every school, and which offers are fresh and which are no longer valid. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I feel like I have to leave all offers on the list until a recruit officially rules us out.

Also some news on McCaw:

Ben Weixlmann@BWeixScout4h

I've got mixed emotions about this. It is nice that he will get to play for his dad and I think it might improve SLU's chances because he might not get as much exposure at Trinity as he would have at CBC with Barnett and Doby. However, it is probably not a good choice for McCaw developmentally. He won't have as strong of competition at Trinity and will likely be counted on the carry the team rather than learn how to play as part of his team.

Trinity doesn't play a bad schedule. They mix it up with Sub North teams, and some of the better small schools like Maplewood. McCaw will get a chance to be the man on Trinity and showcase his whole game, while the young CBC sophomores will get more playing time and get more exposure. Trinity will now be a contender for the 2A class and CBC still is the frontrunner to win 5A.

Losing Ore was a bummer. But, perhaps it's not a coincidence that SLU's recruitment of Bartley has intensified.

Losing players to Belmont and Drake isn't exactly a good thing, but there is still plenty of time to grab some great players in addition to the solid foundation of Gillmann and Roby.

My man crush of Bartley continues:

Marcus Bartley defines the term student-athlete. The 6'4 point guard possesses a 4.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale and netted a score of 28 on his ACT.

man, we gotta get bartley. if he can put on weight and work on his shooting form, he could be an NBA player. so slick out there...

Trinity doesn't play a bad schedule. They mix it up with Sub North teams, and some of the better small schools like Maplewood. McCaw will get a chance to be the man on Trinity and showcase his whole game, while the young CBC sophomores will get more playing time and get more exposure. Trinity will now be a contender for the 2A class and CBC still is the frontrunner to win 5A.

I'll defer to you regarding the StL HS basketball scene. Based on my admittedly limited knowledge, MCC competition at CBC is much tougher than he will be facing at Trinity.

I suppose you could argue that being "the man" at Trinity rather than another cog on a loaded CBC team helps his development. I'm not sure. There are positives and negatives.

I take it McCaw will be eligible to play right away? How did he get around the hardship waiver- just because his dad is coach?

I'm glad Tatum isn't doing the same and will be staying at Chaminade.

Also some news on McCaw:

I had heard Doby likely would not be returning to CBC, has he decided to return to CBC or head acorss the river for his senior season?

I know CBC has a really nice sophomore class with Jordan Barnes and Christian Willis.

I had heard Doby likely would not be returning to CBC, has he decided to return to CBC or head acorss the river for his senior season?

I know CBC has a really nice sophomore class with Jordan Barnes and Christian Willis.

I don't have any inside info about Doby. I was just looking at the D-I talent on CBCs roster last year.

I was just trying to make the point that I think McCaw would have gotten more exposure at CBC because there are more D-I prospects there to scout: Barnett (committed to Texas), potentially Doby, Barnes, & Willis. At Trinity, I'm assuming McCaw will be the only D-I prospect. Therefore, the only scouts that will see him will be those who specifically come to see him rather than maybe a scout who comes to see one of his teammates and leaves impressed with him.

I don't have any inside info about Doby. I was just looking at the D-I talent on CBCs roster last year.

I was just trying to make the point that I think McCaw would have gotten more exposure at CBC because there are more D-I prospects there to scout: Barnett (committed to Texas), potentially Doby, Barnes, & Willis. At Trinity, I'm assuming McCaw will be the only D-I prospect. Therefore, the only scouts that will see him will be those who specifically come to see him rather than maybe a scout who comes to see one of his teammates and leaves impressed with him.

I was not disagreeing with your comments, I was just curious whether anyone knew the status of Doby. I thought Roy may know since I thought Doby was a Collinsville kid that transferred to CBC.

I was not disagreeing with your comments, I was just curious whether anyone knew the status of Doby. I thought Roy may know since I thought Doby was a Collinsville kid that transferred to CBC.

I have been told by a person at CBC that Doby will transfer to Cahokia. That would seem to be an odd decision because it is not clear he would be eligible to play in Illinois as a transfer student unless be qualifies under one of the exceptions. I have also heard that McCaw's dad is a good guy. I would suspect that he will make sure his son plays smart and hard which will mean he will continue to develop regardless of the competition.

Officially a Drake commit! Thanks to God and my support system through my decision making process.

Not sure how much interest SLU actually had. What the heck is up with all of these kids and Drake?

What RiseAndGrind said:

"Drake recently added an assistant that was from Northern Illinois. While at Northern Illinois, said assistant offered Arongundade his first scholarship. Essentially, he's been recruiting him forever. Bad break."

The assistant's name is Todd Townsend and he's got deep roots in Illinois and Wisconsin. Basically, he's been recruiting very hard the Illinois Wolves, an AAU team that featured Rivers, Arogundade, Darius Austin, Malek Harris, and others. Harris is headed to Marquette and we know Austin is going to UMKC but Townsend got two guys who will be nice players at Drake.

SLU also recruited this team, namely the four guys I listed.

I have been told by a person at CBC that Doby will transfer to Cahokia. That would seem to be an odd decision because it is not clear he would be eligible to play in Illinois as a transfer student unless be qualifies under one of the exceptions. I have also heard that McCaw's dad is a good guy. I would suspect that he will make sure his son plays smart and hard which will mean he will continue to develop regardless of the competition.

If parents can prove the actual home (defined by ihsa as where he sleeps at night) truly changed from collinsville to cahokia he will have no priblem. The ihsa is pretty lazy. Edwardsville cheats all the time with "home". God forbid anyone challenge ed hightower.

Btw skip months ago you belittled me for saying all three metro east point guards, austin, rivers and reddick were D1 recruits. Austin for texas, rivers for drake, only reddick left to commit and imo because of his size i like him best.

Btw skip months ago you belittled me for saying all three metro east point guards, austin, rivers and reddick were D1 recruits. Austin for texas, rivers for drake, only reddick left to commit and imo because of his size i like him best.

Are you talking about Larry Austin Jr from Springfield who committed to Tennessee?

I don't think I belittled you. I just pointed out that if the area had 3 pg's go D1 it'd be one of if not the best class of pg's we've had.

Austin for Texas? Did I miss something?

Yeah, Roy got the wrong UT. Texas picked up Jordan Barnett while Tennesse received a verbal from Lary Austin.

I don't think I belittled you. I just pointed out that if the area had 3 pg's go D1 it'd be one of if not the best class of pg's we've had.

Austin for Texas? Did I miss something?

I'm pretty sure Skip was saying he only wanted the PGs if they were good enough to contribute to a top 25 team and Roy was saying he thought all three local PGs were that good. I don't recall anyone suggesting they wouldn't all end up at a D1 school. I guess time will tell if Drake and UMKC end up becoming top 25 caliber...