Recruiting - 2014

You're out of your mind if you think the conference had no factor in the decision. Ask any college basketball fan if they would rather be playing Marquette, Villanova, and Georgetown or VCU, La Salle, and St. Joes? Get out of here if you don't think the pitch to play top flight programs with much better exposure isn't important.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speculation, that is all this is. No one knows why Martin chose Butler except that he did. We can analyze and place weights into different factors, like the Big East, and deep down below it may all be a matter of "clicking" with the place. That certain something that tells you this is the one for you. He may not understand himself why he feels that way, and may indeed be voicing that he made his decision because of this or that. But deep inside himself, where all major decisions come from, something got him to go that way. So, like in golf and in so many other things in life, we move on after a bad hit without having our collective egos crumble because of this. SLU is not worse today than it was yesterday or the day before. We will overcome this somehow and that is what we have to have faith about. We, SLU, are what we are without Kelan Martin and without the Big East, and we will try our best to prove it to everyone watching when we play this season.

Ok enough with the bickering. We have Mayimba visiting this weekend and he will commit shortly thereafter. Then we can get a big or get Patterson to change his mind abt LSU.

We good

I think he's going to GMU this weekend. I don't think he's scheduled his other visits yet.

You're out of your mind if you think the conference had no factor in the decision. Ask any college basketball fan if they would rather be playing Marquette, Villanova, and Georgetown or VCU, La Salle, and St. Joes? Get out of here if you don't think the pitch to play top flight programs with much better exposure isn't important.

Never said it wasn't a factor. The claim that was made is that if SLU was in the Big East we would have landed Martin. That is what I am calling BS on. If both schools were in the Big East he still probably picks Butler.

And to act like we can't beat teams in a conference that isn't that much better than the current A10 for recruits, is loser mentality and just excuse making. I thought we were past the excuse making point with this program.

Never said it wasn't a factor. The claim that was made is that if SLU was in the Big East we would have landed Martin. That is what I am calling BS on. If both schools were in the Big East he still probably picks Butler.

And to act like we can't beat teams in a conference that isn't that much better than the current A10 for recruits, is loser mentality and just excuse making. I thought we were past the excuse making point with this program.

Brian, I wasn't implying he would have chose us if we were in the Beast. My point was being in the Beast is just one more check mark in the plus column for BU.

Isn't this where someone says he was over rated and we probably quit recruiting him a few months ago

Haven't seen that one yet, but you're right. Somebody's going to say it.

There are other good players out there, and Coach Crews has a couple in the fold already. Just need to sign another one quickly to take the focus off the ones that didn't come here.

Isn't this where someone says he was over rated and we probably quit recruiting him a few months ago

There are other good players out there, and Coach Crews has a couple in the fold already. Just need to sign another one quickly to take the focus off the ones that didn't come here.

Did you miss gobillsgo's post, #1605 (page on your screen)?

Conference affiliation certainly matters to SOME recruits and Martin seemed to be one of them. It's not an excuse, just an explanation of what may have tilted him one way or another. There are a lot of factors in a kid's decision and for a lot of them, conference affiliation is not a big deal. It wasn't for Roby and let's not forget Bartley picked us even though he had several BCS offers, including one from Creighton (like Butler now in the Big East). Does this mean we can't get good recruits if we are not in the Big East? Of course not... Gonzaga has been able to get excellent players for years and so did Xavier long before they joined the Big East, but it is going to be a negative with SOME recruits and make it more challenging. Not sure how somebody can guess that if we were in the Big East we would not have gotten Martin. It is a hypothetical, but I think it is fair to say it certainly would have increased our probability.

Martin was not over-rated, not going to say it. Would have been thrilled if we landed him, but I also think there appear to be a lot of other good targets we are in on, so there is time to recover.

How do people view the class at this point heading into the fall?

Looking at some of Pistol's earlier lists, they included the following targets:

Offers

-Larry Austin (committed to Tennessee)

-Jordan Barnett (committed to Texas)

-Malek Harris (committed to Marquette)

-J.P. Macura (committed to Xavier)

-Sean O'Mara (committed to Xavier)

-Ore Arogundade (committed to Drake)

-Andre Walker (committed to Hofstra)

-Kelan Martin (committed to Butler)

-Darius Austin (committed to UMKC)

-Logan McLane (undecided)

-Jalyn Patterson (undecided)

-Thomas Welsh (undecided)

We did receive verbal commitments from Marcus Bartley and Austin Gillman who were on the initial list in the interest section and are still in on Patterson.

We

How do people view the class at this point heading into the fall?

Looking at some of Pistol's earlier lists, they included the following targets:

Offers

-Larry Austin (committed to Tennessee)

-Jordan Barnett (committed to Texas)

-Malek Harris (committed to Marquette)

-J.P. Macura (committed to Xavier)

-Sean O'Mara (committed to Xavier)

-Ore Arogundade (committed to Drake)

-Andre Walker (committed to Hofstra)

-Kelan Martin (committed to Butler)

-Darius Austin (committed to UMKC)

-Logan McLane (undecided)

-Jalyn Patterson (undecided)

-Thomas Welsh (undecided)

We did sign Marcus Bartley and Austin Gillman who were on the initial list in the interest section and are still in on Patterson.

We have NOT signed anyone, can't until November! Let's hope we hold the 3 VERBAL commits and add at 2 more this fall.

And SLU didn't just recently lose a big name coach?

If you are implying that the death of RM is equal to Brad Stevens leaving after the season for Boston then you way off base. Crews is still with the team and he coached the team all year so no this is not anything at all the same.

Where to start...

1. Crews and company signed Agbeko, Ash, and Lancona this spring. So they had 4 scholarships to give and used 3. There was supposedly another transfer they had that has fallen through.

2. We will never know why a recruit chose a school over another. It doesn't mean that Crews is somehow failing because a supposed top target chose Butler over SLU. Especially one that lives just down the road from Butler.

3. Right now they have verbals from Roby, Gillmann, and Bartley. That is a pretty strong fall period so far. Expecting to get 5 is a pipe dream and probably not in the best interest of the program unless a top recruit wants to sign in November. They are better off picking up 1 more, going into the Spring with 2 or 3 and evaluating where the program is at.

Another thing about the spring is the juco route is a lot more available. Many of the juco guys wait or are held back from committing in the fall. If Crews decides he needs to fill a spot with a juco (very likely), he will need to have a scholarship or two open for the spring. How the remaining players develop is also an issue. If Manning and Glaze blow up, the need for a juco big lessens. If they don't, Crews might have to go after a juco big. Same with Crawford, Agbeko, etc.

I will never understand the hand wringing over losing a recruit. Martin could be the next Gordon Hayward or the next Obi Ikeakor. Like brian said, we lost a recruit to Butler- not DePaul.

My my - where to begin!

1. What I said was true - we had to 2 schollies available for transfers and we only gave one out - so I am not sure what your problem is with that and we "supposedly" had another transfer but it fell through - well are you interested in buying bridge because I have one to sell - you may be right but you may be wrong - we will never know but what we do know is only one transfer took one of the available schollies.

2./3. I never said Crews was failing all I said was that he needs to fill out the schollies. By the way - I did acknowledge earlier in a post that on paper the guys we got look good but I am anxious to see them play in person before I will make a judgment on them - seems only fai

Brian, I wasn't implying he would have chose us if we were in the Beast. My point was being in the Beast is just one more check mark in the plus column for BU.

Sorry. There is no longer a conference called the Beast. Beast Light or Beast Extra Light but no Beast.

It was an unfounded negative criticism of a player who chose another school. Same category.

That seems like stretch... not a big deal though. For the record, I don't think he is overrated and I doubt we stopped recruiting him. I just think he is a tool for choosing a team we beat three times last year.

If you are implying that the death of RM is equal to Brad Stevens leaving after the season for Boston then you way off base. Crews is still with the team and he coached the team all year so no this is not anything at all the same.

Yeah your right. Butler had sustained success before Stevens got there. We never had anything like that here since the 1950's. Losing Rickma was a bigger hit to our program.

That seems like stretch... not a big deal though. For the record, I don't think he is overrated and I doubt we stopped recruiting him. I just think he is a tool for choosing a team we beat three times last year.

It's not a stretch. Calling someone a "tool," is just euphemistically calling him a fool. That's unfounded negativity. Had you merely said, "He made a mistake (because SLU is better than Butler)," then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

It's not a stretch. Calling someone a "tool," is just euphemistically calling him a fool. That's unfounded negativity. Had you merely said, "He made a mistake (because SLU is better than Butler)," then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Oh well. We will have to agree to disagree. I pretty much just said it in jest anyway (I've been saying it about everyone who commits elsewhere.) If anyone seriously equates that to me saying he is overrated and/or that we stopped recruiting him, I'm not sure how to respond. This is a pretty pointless argument to be having.