Breaking - Biondi Has Resigned

During his 25th anniversary gala, Fr. Lawrence Biondi, S.J. announced he is resigning as president of Saint Louis University.

A search for a new president begins this fall.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the P-D:

In pre-dinner remarks at a gala to honor his 25th anniversary of leading the school, Biondi said it was time for transition. He said he would stay as long as needed to search for his replacement.

Let's hire his replacement from a Big East school and make that deal happen.

It will be intresting to see who get the job. If it is the guy from X, I would think this has been planned for a long time.

For how ugly it got at the end, the plusses really out weigh the negatives when you look at his tenure overall. That said, it was time for him to go.

It will be intresting to see who get the job. If it is the guy from X, I would think this has been planned for a long time.

For how ugly it got at the end, the plusses really out weigh the negatives when you look at his tenure overall. That said, it was time for him to go.

+100

37534371.jpg

Now that's classy. Thanks for doing the right thing, Father. You had a good run and you did a lot of good things for this university. Hopefully we bring in a forward thinker who moves us forward both academically and athletically, because they can help each other in the over-arching goal of making the most money possible.

Definitely. Long-term, he did so much for the university, and we all appreciate it. Now is a good time for him to step down.

For those of us old enough to remember the university and campus pre-Biondi, his tenure should be celebrated as one of the great administrative success stories anywhere. He has taken the endowment from $93 million to a $1 billion, increased average ACT scores from 22 to 27, and solidified the university as one of the top 100 in the country -- these accomplishments cannot be understated.

As someone who used to work for the university, I agree with many of the sentiments that biondi's tenure should still be celebrated. While his recent history hasn't been something we've been proud of, there is no denying how much he has personally changed not only our great university but the entire city, as well.

SLU made an official announcement, with Biondi saying the following:

“Just as I helped lead SLU’s transformation when I arrived here more than 25 years ago, I know it is now time for the next transformation to begin,” Father Biondi said. “And, so, with the blessing of our Board of Trustees, I have decided it is time for a transition in leadership for Saint Louis University — time for me to move on to the next phase of my life. This fall, the Board will launch a search for my successor. I will be here as long as they need me, and will do everything I can to make the transition to our next president as smooth as possible.”

Father Biondi continued: “As I approach my 75th birthday, I know I am ready for new challenges — challenges that might include heeding the call of our General Superior in Rome, Father Nicolas, who has asked Jesuits around the world to focus on care for the poor, the marginalized, the uneducated and immigrants. Right now, I remain open to how God is calling me to serve others in ways, yet to be discerned.”

Wow. Missed opportunity. I've been on the road all day, but I was going to post that resigning at his gala would be ultimately classy. Good on ya, Father!

Had dinner with Willie and mom tonight and willie predicted that Biondi would resign at the gala. If only his derby predictions had been as good.

As you know by now, Willie is pretty smart. Good call. And good for Larry. T he controversary over his leadership was beginning to distract from the quality of Saint Louis University. Lets's hope we get a new president who will take us stongly forward.