Banner Raising Ceremony

Let's flash back to the opening of the Fetz...who did we play? Was it UMSL? Yeah, I think it was. Pretty lame for the opening of a multi-million dollar facility. Wasn't our next home game against Kent State? Then Boston College? Why not have a marquee name like BC open up the arena?

Flash forward now to the 2013-2014 opener. Probably against Quincy (Bay Area Billiken courtside for this one) or SEMO or Harris-Stowe. Do we raise the conference championship, regular season championship and NCAA appearance banners then or do we wait for the A-10 opener against (hypothetically) VCU or LaSalle or any other worthy adversary that isn't a Division II or lower tier Ohio Valley school? Or do we wait for the first big non-conference game?

We want to do this when there's a chance for a sell-out, not the opener against Rockhurst or Chicago State, etc. Let's face it, SLU's opening game isn't like the Cardinals.

Let's flash back to the opening of the Fetz...who did we play? Was it UMSL? Yeah, I think it was. Pretty lame for the opening of a multi-million dollar facility. Wasn't our next home game against Boston College? Why not have BC open up the arena?

Flash forward now to the 2013-2014 opener. Probably against Quincy (Bay Area Billiken courtside for this one) or SEMO or Harris-Stowe. Do we raise the conference championship and regular season championship banners then or do we wait for the A-10 opener against (hypothetically) VCU or LaSalle or any other worthy adversary that isn't a Division II or lower tier Ohio Valley school? Or do we wait for the first big non-conference game?

We want to do this when there's a chance for a sell-out, not the opener against Rockhurst or Chicago State, etc. Let's face it, SLU's opening game isn't like the Cardinals.

I think SLU should do what ever they can to open up against a big name team (doesnt have to be a good team) in the first ehhh 4 games, and have the ceremony then.

I think SLU should do what ever they can to open up against a big name team (doesnt have to be a good team) in the first ehhh 4 games, and have the ceremony then.

Completely agree with you. I just don't have any faith in the athletic dept. to do this the right way.

Did they have a banner-raising ceremony this year? If so, I guess I missed it.

I missed it as well - was out of the country for the USC-Upstate game (home opener for this past year).

Then you'd better get that big, opening night opponent. You kick off thenew season (to me) by marking and paying hommage to the immediate past. Then you move on. Been there, done that, new season. Does absolutely no good to hold on until January (likely first conference game) in my opinion.

Us the banner raising as a sale piece. Unfortunatley, you are stuck with whomever is there. Otherwise, it means nothing really.

If next year were this year, Louisville would raise their national banner against Manhatten. If Kentucky did it, it was against Lafayette. So it goes.

Then you'd better get that big, opening night opponent. You kick off thenew season (to me) by marking and paying hommage to the immediate past. Then you move on. Been there, done that, new season. Does absolutely no good to hold on until January (likely first conference game) in my opinion.

Us the banner raising as a sale piece. Unfortunatley, you are stuck with whomever is there. Otherwise, it means nothing really.

If next year were this year, Louisville would raise their national banner against Manhatten. If Kentucky did it, it was against Lafayette. So it goes.

Louisville and Kentucky will have sellout crowds for those games because they are Louisville and Kentucky. I'm just saying that a SLU-UMSL game will barely get 4k people. 4k to see three banners raised. Unacceptable.

Louisville and Kentucky will have sellout crowds for those games because they are Louisville and Kentucky. I'm just saying that a SLU-UMSL game will barely get 4k people. 4k to see three banners raised. Unacceptable.

Who gives a crap how many people are there to see a banner raised? The tens of thousands who see it hanging there for the next 30 years are good enough for me. We aren't going to get or even want a marquee team in for the first game of the season.......

Who gives a crap how many people are there to see a banner raised? The tens of thousands who see it hanging there for the next 30 years are good enough for me. We aren't going to get or even want a marquee team in for the first game of the season.......

Because it's a celebration of the kids and the coaches who return from the previous year and to celebrate their accomplishments. Sorry for caring.

Let's flash back to the opening of the Fetz...who did we play? Was it UMSL? Yeah, I think it was. Pretty lame for the opening of a multi-million dollar facility. Wasn't our next home game against Kent State? Then Boston College? Why not have a marquee name like BC open up the arena?

Flash forward now to the 2013-2014 opener. Probably against Quincy (Bay Area Billiken courtside for this one) or SEMO or Harris-Stowe. Do we raise the conference championship, regular season championship and NCAA appearance banners then or do we wait for the A-10 opener against (hypothetically) VCU or LaSalle or any other worthy adversary that isn't a Division II or lower tier Ohio Valley school? Or do we wait for the first big non-conference game?

I say have three separate banner raising games. The first game of the year against whoever we play to raise the NCAA Tournament banner, the first conference game to raise the A-10 Regular Season Champ banner, and then the best conference opponent on the schedule for the A10 Tournament Champs banner. Get a few of our regular sponsors to pay for give-away replica banners of each for each of those games.

Save it until the first VCU game. Heck, if they don't come to SLU this year, let's raise it in their house.

I say have three separate banner raising games. The first game of the year against whoever we play to raise the NCAA Tournament banner, the first conference game to raise the A-10 Regular Season Champ banner, and then the best conference opponent on the schedule for the A10 Tournament Champs banner. Get a few of our regular sponsors to pay for give-away replica banners of each for each of those games.

See, now this is the type of quality $hit I'm talking about right here! Good posts, guys. I love the VCU post. I'll drive to Richmond to watch that $hit.