willie reed called up

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So does he get paid a pro-rated minimum league salary? Based on games he is on roster? If they don't keep him with new kids coming in draft does he go back to development league

I haven't researched it but I am guessing he's on a 10 day contract. Yes they get pros minimum for 10 days. Pro rated. I think they can be cut anytime though. I also believe team can sign you to another ten day after that. After that though they have to give you a contract for the rest of the year. This doesn't apply in willies case. Not enough games left

Transactions list for Grizzlies on ESPN says Willie was signed to multi-year contract

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/transactions/_/name/mem/memphis-grizzlies

I haven't researched it but I am guessing he's on a 10 day contract. Yes they get pros minimum for 10 days. Pro rated. I think they can be cut anytime though. I also believe team can sign you to another ten day after that. After that though they have to give you a contract for the rest of the year. This doesn't apply in willies case. Not enough games left

You're right. That surprises me. Maybe I don't know enough about the nba and contact or cba deals. Don't know why you would lock in a by for next year when you only need him for last game of the regular season

I don't know enough about the nba or their practices but this doesn't make much sense to me either unless they have a plan for his development and think he has what it takes to be a contributor. The timing is quite puzzling to me. Even more puzzling is that he didn't even dress for the game.

Didn't make an appearance.

Have to wonder .... sure, its says multi-year deal but I'd be willing to bet it downgrades if you're not on the main roster. The Grizz' roster page shows him on there but does not identify his salary (as opposed to all the others -- Kenyon Dooling is the lowest paid Grizz). I guess its an insurance move as the playoffs start. But I'd be willing to bet nothing is guaranteed.

Willie was a playful knucklehead, likely the poster child for the movement of not sending kids to college who don't want to be there. I imagine keeping him eligible was quite a full-time chore. One can help but wonder what it would be if he had done the same routine as Mitchell did, stuck it out, and played for two more years. Oh well.

Not expecting too much from his NBA career.

Have got to give Willie some credit for passing up the better money in Europe or some other place and taking less money to play in the D League where he could better develop his game. It showed some much needed added maturity on his part. I don't expect him to be star, but he does have the skills to stick around the league for a while if he continues to work hard.

He is with a team that is good at developing their players. That is big thing working in Wilie's favor.

Didn't make an appearance.

Have to wonder .... sure, its says multi-year deal but I'd be willing to bet it downgrades if you're not on the main roster. The Grizz' roster page shows him on there but does not identify his salary (as opposed to all the others -- Kenyon Dooling is the lowest paid Grizz). I guess its an insurance move as the playoffs start. But I'd be willing to bet nothing is guaranteed.

Willie was a playful knucklehead, likely the poster child for the movement of not sending kids to college who don't want to be there. I imagine keeping him eligible was quite a full-time chore. One can help but wonder what it would be if he had done the same routine as Mitchell did, stuck it out, and played for two more years. Oh well.

Not expecting too much from his NBA career.

I believe it's Keyon Dooling - and doesn't surprise me a Mizzou player makes chump change.

Hmmm...so I guess it's possible/likely that Willie is just there to be a body at practice?

Possible. But, it is interesting that he was signed to a multi-year contract. I wonder if they want him available for the playoffs and then potentially be in the mix for next season. I think there are a couple of forwards on the Grizz that are in the last year of their contracts and there could be playing time for Willie next season. If he is just there to be an extra body for practice, I think they'd just sign him to a pro-rated deal that is for the remainder of this season and the playoffs.

Don't know how much truth there is to this, but some blog I read said something along the lines of the Grizzlies being interested in Willie and they had to sign him to a contract before the season ended or the Nets would've had exclusive signing rights to him.

I have been a Grizzlies fan for a while. Here is my take. Hollins (the coach) does not play anyone right away normally, especially not a rookie. So, Willie wasn't going to play this year probably at all. There is a chance for him long term because Darrel Arthur has not been great this year, and they may need to replace him with a lower cost option like Willie. Further, the Grizzlies traded for Ed Davis, and they may be trading Randolph sometime in the future to develop Davis. That sounds crazy, but that is definitely a possibility. All of it really comes down to money. Willie might be kept around because he will be cheap for the next three years and might out perform his salary.