Crews Control - I'm on Board

ACE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was not serious when he said 69... just FYI hah

Yes, that was not particularly challenging to ascertain. Perhaps a re-examination of the context of my "question" would reveal the point of my response.

Does one have the option of not graduating at Army? (Serious question)

Yes. However, once you've started Sophomore year (if I recall correctly) you owe the Army a service obligation. Not all the students can handle the rigors of the classroom and mandatory military training. I had a friend that couldn't graduate there he eventually finished up at UCONN.

• 2 years later...

Got to give credit where credit is due. Law nailed it with his prognostication about our future.

For the life of me, I cannot understand where your guys's optimism ever came from. It made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I'm not an obsessive Bills fan, or even college basketball fan. I would consider my b-ball IQ somewhere between low and average. But it was painfully obvious where we'd be by now.

The only reason we were ever good was because we had Rick Majerus. In order to sustain a program at a Rick Majerus-level, you need a Rick Majerus-level coach.

Jim Crews had a track record, and Rick Majerus, he very clearly was not. I understand he had a couple NCAA tourney one-and-done seasons at Evansville, but anyone banking on that was kidding oneself.

In order to get back to where we were, we need another Rick Majerus-level coach. This isn't rocket science. It never was. Now, actually getting another coach of that caliber is another story altogether.

Ugh.

Remember when we kept making the NCAA Tournament, actually winning games in the tournament, and there was talk of us joining the Big East? It feels so long ago, now....

For the life of me, I cannot understand where your guys's optimism ever came from. It made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I'm not an obsessive Bills fan, or even college basketball fan. I would consider my b-ball IQ somewhere between low and average. But it was painfully obvious where we'd be by now.

The only reason we were ever good was because we had Rick Majerus. In order to sustain a program at a Rick Majerus-level, you need a Rick Majerus-level coach.

Jim Crews had a track record, and Rick Majerus, he very clearly was not. I understand he had some limited success at Evansville, but anyone banking on that was always kidding oneself.

In order to get back to where we were, we need another Rick Majerus-level coach. This isn't rocket science. It never was. Now, actually getting another coach of that caliber is another story altogether.

Ugh.

Remember when we kept making the NCAA Tournament, actually winning games in the tournament, and there was talk of us joining the Big East? It feels so long ago, now....

Perhaps because you are not an avid fan is why you were so pessimistic. Sometimes it's harder to see the truth in something you love.

That said, I think many on this board were very cautious in their optimism about Crews at the time. Ace's original post suggests he had considerable doubt and I know plenty of others on this board felt the same way. But given the team's success in 2013 and the following year, there was reason to believe that Crews could be successful here in a better situation than Army and Evansville.

While I agree the coaches are the key to success in college sports, the program was offering things it had never offered before (a new stadium, great facilities, tourney appearances, conference championships, etc.). A HOF-level coach did not seem necessary to keep the team as a top 50 program.

Obviously that hasn't been the case, but to act like the writing was all over the wall is a little ridiculous to me. You were right in your pessimism, but so what.

Perhaps because you are not an avid fan is why you were so pessimistic. Sometimes it's harder to see the truth in something you love.

That said, I think many on this board were very cautious in their optimism about Crews at the time. Ace's original post suggests he had considerable doubt and I know plenty of others on this board felt the same way. But given the team's success in 2013 and the following year, there was reason to believe that Crews could be successful here in a better situation than Army and Evansville.

While I agree the coaches are the key to success in college sports, the program was offering things it had never offered before (a new stadium, great facilities, tourney appearances, conference championships, etc.). A HOF-level coach did not seem necessary to keep the team as a top 50 program.

Obviously that hasn't been the case, but to act like the writing was all over the wall is a little ridiculous to me. You were right in your pessimism, but so what.

Thinking that crews should have been hired was nuts. The writing on the wall was there. I never thought it would ever get as bad as its gotten, i expected mediocrity. I got a nightmare.

YAY Your pessimism was right let's see what you've won? Nothing.

B-Law is a first rate internet troll. Never liked the dude, pretty sure no one does online or in his limited face to face interactions. I know that's mean but I'm not cyber-bullying I really just want B-Law to see why no one likes him. It's cause he's a lil B and also a Marquette fan.

As to SLU, I'll always be optimistic, why wouldn't I be? Yeah yeah reality is not so great right now, but things change. SLU will be good again. Crews wasn't the guy. OK got it, moving on.

SSHOE I'm with you but we're actually fans which seems to be an endangered population on billikens.com

B-Law is a first rate internet troll. Never liked the dude, pretty sure no one does online or in his limited face to face interactions. I know that's mean but I'm not cyber-bullying I really just want B-Law to see why no one likes him. It's cause he's a lil B and also a Marquette fan.

As to SLU, I'll always be optimistic, why wouldn't I be? Yeah yeah reality is not so great right now, but things change. SLU will be good again. Crews wasn't the guy. OK got it, moving on.

SSHOE I'm with you but we're actually fans which seems to be an endangered population on billikens.com

It's hard to spend much time here anymore. Just a depressing place to be at the moment.

I am not and never have been a Marquette fan. I've never even been to the city of Milwaukee before. Whoever you're talking about is not who I am.

And jeez, sorry for being right about how much Jim Crews blows.

The national coach of the year media dipwads dropped us like so much dirty laundry. Gave us nice words, awards, made us make the wrong move, and now this is what we're reduced to. Ekkerball. God help us. SLU dropped right of the basketball map. I expected cbi mediocrity with crews. I didnt expect ncaa tourneys. I certainly didnt expect last place finishes.

It's hard to spend much time here anymore. Just a depressing place to be at the moment.

But that isn't because of the people posting. The place is depressing because of the state of the program. Their is nothing positive to post about the program. There have been very few positive things to post for a season plus. It is uglier on here than ever because this is as ugly as the program has ever been in the history of this board. The people posting are only reflecting the reality of the program.

It will be be better in a few months when a new coach is hired. Almost all of us will jump back aboard the bandwagon and optimism will reign.

But that isn't because of the people posting. The place is depressing because of the state of the program. Their is nothing positive to post about the program. There have been very few positive things to post for a season plus. It is uglier on here than ever because this is as ugly as the program has ever been in the history of this board. The people posting are only reflecting the reality of the program.

It will be be better in a few months when a new coach is hired. Almost all of us will jump back aboard the bandwagon and optimism will reign.

Fully agree, though it isn't helped when people come on here saying, "told ya so."

I hope that people get angry and enraged about this. The administration must see our seething anger. Apathy is the worst thing right now.

I like to think of it more as outrage rather than depression. We need to make a change and begin the recovery.

Fully agree, though it isn't helped when people come on here saying, "told ya so."

All I said when I first came to this thread was essentially that we will not be good in two to three years, based on the reality that we are moving on from a top-tier coach to a mediocre-at-best coach. Please look at how people treated me for making my common sense prognostications.

The "I told ya sos" are for them, and only them.

I hope that people get angry and enraged about this. The administration must see our seething anger. Apathy is the worst thing right now.

I like to think of it more as outrage rather than depression. We need to make a change and begin the recovery.

Hell yeah! I've been enraged since we hired Crews. It was a painfully, obviously bad idea then, and now it's come to roost. Unfortunately, I don't have much money at this point in my career, so unless the boosters feel similarly to me, nothing's really gonna change.

Just curious how many people remember all his posts during the good years? Maybe it's just my old man memory but I can't recall him posting much for a few years

Disregard if this isn't the old Marquette Billiken Law. This just seems like his m.o.

Just curious how many people remember all his posts during the good years? Maybe it's just my old man memory but I can't recall him posting much for a few years

Disregard if this isn't the old Marquette Billiken Law. This just seems like his m.o.

In fact, my m.o. is pretty much the opposite of the Marquette guy, from what I can gather.

I created this account and posted back when we started to become really good under Majerus. I never shared an exchange with the Marquette guy during that time, so I can only assume he wasn't really posting here much when we were good. I really only like to post here when the team is fun to watch. Honestly, I really only enjoy following the team when they are fun to watch. Once the Majerus players all graduated, I was pretty much done following the team.

Now that the Bills suck again, it seems the Marquette guy has started posting here again.

The only reason I'm posting here today is because I was feeling bored/lazy here at work during the holiday season, and I remember catching a lot of flack for predicting that we'd suck once all the Majerus recruits graduated if Crews was going to be our head coach, and I wanted to see if people recognized my vindication based on the total program collapse we've witnessed over the past several weeks.

It seems people did, so I'm content.

Sounds like a-bomb needs a safe space.

-any idea what the contract status on the assistant coaches is? are they typically one year deals?

-if they are all signed to match the term of the head coach, meaning two more seasons, that adds to the buyout figure, if the U goes that way and I am still doubtful this will happen before the start of next season but I would like to be suprised