Are we looking like the village idiot of college hoops?

slu72

I certainly hope you're wrong that they're looking into a different option. Last time we fired and hired it took place in May. Great hire, but it put RM at a huge disadvantage in recruiting. But if it is JC, don't worry since a lot of folks on here don't think it matters when it comes to recruiting whether he's the official HC or still wears the interim label.

Soderberg was fired April 17 and Rickma was hired April 27.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The negative fans "only" sin is not that they care about the basketball program--they have several "sins"--first and foremost is that they make up false "facts" that are negative to the school and to the program and then post them on this board if they are true. Second, they refuse to even acknowledge all of the great things that have happened with this program over the past year and focus on all of the negative speculation that is posted on this board. I am not involved in the discussions so I cannot talk about any details and those items are generally confidential in any hiring discussions. In any event, I do know that many good things are happening and this staff is busting its collective behind in recruiting. Many good players are talking to us. Its only been a little over a week since everyone returned from San Jose and took a deep breath. Why can't everyone be just a little patient?

Billikan, there certainly are a lot of great things going on. I was thrilled when they hired Majerus and knew that the program was heading for good things. The upgrades to facilities have been fantastic, but that doesn't mean that there is not room for fair, constructive criticism. It just seems SLU has a way of bungling the timing of some things.

I have no doubt you are an insider, so tell me, why did SLU fire Sodie on April 17? Unless there is a scandal involved, no coach gets fired that late. Spring recruiting had already begun. Majerus was not hired until April 30, which really put RM and staff way behind in terms of spring recruiting. Again, coaches rarely get hired that late. They typically get fired and hired shortly after the season. Soderberg should have been fired a day or two after the season. That long delay slowed down the rebuilding process. It's not uncommon to see a new staff come in and immediately make a splash in spring recruiting. I have no doubt a coach of RM's caliber could have done that. While the RM hire was obviously awesome, it could have been handled better. It's as if some of the decision makers are not basketball people and don't get the importance of timing. And again, it wasn't handled well in other respects... look at what happened with Levick. Fast forward to today and again, the timing or lack of a sense of urgency in making a decision is not helping.

The lack of news on virtually anything - coach, conference, recruiting, etc. - has made this a particularly frustrating time for those of us who don't have inside information.

The board is officially in meltdown mode. Everybody take a Silkwood shower.

Our all knowing expert says be postive. With Biondi? How?

Expert, write that "Biondi is an athletic department enthusiast, is always behind SLU athletics 100%, looks at athletics in a postive light". Write that.

You cannot.

There are so many examples of "behind closed doors" Biondi incidents that demonstrate his distain for having to deal with athletics.

Some are confidential and not for this board, I will not post the ones I know, but we all know for example he would not even put up an Easy Ed McCauley stature to be dontated by alumni.

We know the bs with Majerus and his budget and charter flights.

We all know he allowed the "incident" to push BOTH players out of school, BOTH did not deserve what they got, Biondi allowed parents and an outside attorney in student court. Political nonsense, he did not care about athletics. KM should have had a 2 game suspension, max. Enough of that...

Didn't Majerus almost quit in frustration after the "incident" season? Decided to fulfill his mission, loved the kids?

Wasn't it pretty common knowledge that Biondi was NOT going to renew Majerus after this season had he of course still been with us?

Didn't we just get slighted by the new Big East, Creighton (goddam MVC) (goddam Omaha) (goddam million miles west of us) got in... we lost. FAIL. Our future, I think we have a good shot at round two... get in for 2014 if they go to 12 teams.

NOW he holds up the Crews hiring, WHY? To exert his power and authority, make us wait?

5-6 major programs have already made big moves and hired coaches, we have a guy who has been here all year.

Hell I worry Rutgers will hire a coach before we do.

Meanwhile, critically needed recruits are clearly not apt to sign here until at least they know who is coaching.

So, great authority, again, tell us Biondi is 100% engaged, supports athletics at SLU with all of his heart and committment to success. Tell us.

(good thing is, one way or another, Biondi will be gone soon... we have a future... need to get into the new Big East and all will be well)

Expert, write that "Biondi is an athletic department enthusiast, is always behind SLU athletics 100%, looks at athletics in a postive light". Write that.

You cannot.

There are so many examples of "behind closed doors" Biondi incidents that demonstrate his distain for having to deal with athletics.

Some are confidential and not for this board, I will not post the ones I know, but we all know for example he would not even put up an Easy Ed McCauley stature to be dontated by alumni.

We all know he allowed the "incident" to push BOTH players out of school, BOTH did not deserve what they got, Biondi allowed parents and an outside attorney in student court. Political nonsense, he did not care about athletics. KM should have had a 2 game suspension, max. Enough of that...

Didn't Majerus almost quit in frustration after the "incident" season? Decided to fulfill his mission, loved the kids?

Wasn't it pretty common knowledge that Biondi was NOT going to renew Majerus after this season had he of course still been with us?

Didn't we just get slighted by the new Big East, Creighton (goddam MVC) (goddam Omaha) (goddam million miles west of us) got in... we lost. FAIL. Our future, I think we have a good shot at round two... get in for 2014 if they go to 12 teams.

NOW he holds up the Crews hiring, WHY? To exert his power and authority, make us wait?

5-6 major programs have already made big moves and hired coaches, we have a guy who has been here all year.

Meanwhile, critically needed recruits are clearly not apt to sign here until at least they know who is coaching.

So, great authority, again, tell us Biondi is 100% engaged, supports athletics at SLU with all of his heart and committment to success. Tell us.

(good thing is, one way or another, Biondi will be gone soon... we have a future... need to get into the new Big East and all will be well)

this is a mad hateful post.

steve should have deactivated his account when it became apparent he was only using billikens.com to farm for his paying members and yet never contributing a dime to billikens.com himself to maintaining our home. any tip worth reading from nate was kept from the billikens.com posters in general unless they would pay for his pay site. no loss.

+1,000,000

They need to officially announce this today or tomorrow. Crews cannot go to Atlanta with the interim title still firmly in place. Can you imagine if he wins the NCOY with a damn interim title still attached?

Every few years, those of who are not or no longer a central part of the University, get a glimpse of the man in charge, Fr. Biondi, and let me just say again, it is not a pretty sight. I am an Alum having walked the campus over 20 years ago. Back then, the campus newspaper and others referred to him as Fr. Beyondme. Unfortunately, not much has changed.

Is the only logical reason for the delay in announcing Jim Crews as the next coach that we might be looking at other coaches?? No. Another, more likely reason is that we again are on Fr. Biondi's time schedule. Fr. Biondi fires coaches when he wants to regardless of what other programs usually do or not do. Not too many years ago, Bernie Miklasz publicly jabbed SLU/Fr. Biondi by including the number of days betweeen the announcement of our plans for a new arena and movement to make this a reality. Then, the Post Dispatch called Fr. Biondi out for his delay in finalizing a deal with RM. Both were two (2) of the best things to ever happen to SLU but both were poorly handled from a public relations standpoint. Inexplicable delays and decision-making has been the norm at SLU under Fr. Biondi.

Ask yourselves this. With the benefit of time in that RM not stepped down in August and then died in November, with Jim Crews as the Interim since August having done a great job this year as Interim Head Coach, with months for Fr. Biondi and Chris May to evaluate and decide on Jim Crews, with the apparent decision by SLU to hire JC if he wants the job, with JC having publicly stated that he wants the job, and with inexplicable delays and dead silence just to hire JC who has been a SLU employee for two (2) years, how long would it take if Fr. Biondi would hire someone else??

And again, to all of you Fr. Biondi apologists who cite the building of Chaifetz as proof of his support for the program, let me point to SLU's silence as yet another obstacle. I can type a list of all the positives which would go with a prompt response by SLU. I do hope that Crews and the recruits know this will take place and that no real obstacle exists. At the same time, whether the delay/silence turns out to be a real obstacle or not, can anyone really state that it is a positive for the basketball program. Should a friend or supporter of the basketball program do things necessary to help the basketball program. To say that no real damage is taking place is not the same thing as saying a benefit is being provided. Face it, uncertainty causes problems. Prompt resolution is needed.

At the beginning of the '72's thread last week, I was like, "no way are looking like the village idiot." With each day passing, with the Easter holidays over, with Fr. Biondi back from Asia... may answer is changing. We ARE now looking like the village idiot.... AGAIN!!

You cannot.

mb, reed deserved everything he got if not from the "incident" from all his other transgressions that the school had continually looked the other way on. even then, reed was given the chance to make it back and showed he didnt have the internal mettle to do it. as much fun as the high flying willie reed was to watch play basketball, he did not deserve the opportunity he got as he was not a good student or a good citizen represenative for saint louis university.

dont even mention him in the same breath as mitchell mitchell was at least a man about things, and paid his debt and earned his second chance.

Every few years, those of who are not or no longer a central part of the University, get a glimpse of the man in charge, Fr. Biondi, and let me just say again, it is not a pretty sight. I am an Alum having walked the campus over 20 years ago. Back then, the campus newspaper and others referred to him as Fr. Beyondme. Unfortunately, not much has changed.

Is the only logical reason for the delay in announcing Jim Crews as the next coach that we might be looking at other coaches?? No. Another, more likely reason is that we again are on Fr. Biondi's time schedule. Fr. Biondi fires coaches when he wants to regardless of what other programs usually do or not do. Not too many years ago, Bernie Miklasz publicly jabbed SLU/Fr. Biondi by including the number of days betweeen the announcement of our plans for a new arena and movement to make this a reality. Then, the Post Dispatch called Fr. Biondi out for his delay in finalizing a deal with RM. Both were two (2) of the best things to ever happen to SLU but both were poorly handled from a public relations standpoint. Inexplicable delays and decision-making has been the norm at SLU under Fr. Biondi.

Ask yourselves this. With the benefit of time in that RM not stepped down in August and then died in November, with Jim Crews as the Interim since August having done a great job this year as Interim Head Coach, with months for Fr. Biondi and Chris May to evaluate and decide on Jim Crews, with the apparent decision by SLU to hire JC if he wants the job, with JC having publicly stated that he wants the job, and with inexplicable delays and dead silence just to hire JC who has been a SLU employee for two (2) years, how long would it take if Fr. Biondi would hire someone else??

And again, to all of you Fr. Biondi apologists who cite the building of Chaifetz as proof of his support for the program, let me point to SLU's silence as yet another obstacle. I can type a list of all the positives which would go with a prompt response by SLU. I do hope that Crews and the recruits know this will take place and that no real obstacle exists. At the same time, whether the delay/silence turns out to be a real obstacle or not, can anyone really state that it is a positive for the basketball program. Should a friend or supporter of the basketball program do things necessary to help the basketball program. To say that no real damage is taking place is not the same thing as saying a benefit is being provided. Face it, uncertainty causes problems. Prompt resolution is needed.

At the beginning of the '72's thread last week, I was like, "no way are looking like the village idiot." With each day passing, with the Easter holidays over, with Fr. Biondi back from Asia... may answer is changing. We ARE now looking like the village idiot.... AGAIN!!

+1

Looking at other coaches IS the only logical reason for the delay. I can't think of any other valid reason. May and Biondi should have worked out the specifics of a contract offer BEFORE Biondi went on his road trip, so that way May could have presented the offer to Crews while Biondi was gone and away we go. I know Crews and May were not going to talk until after the season, but that doesn't mean May and Biondi couldn't have been talking to get on the same page.

I think Biondi is doing this to hurt the program. He can't be oblivious to the necessity to get this done promptly. He is jealous of the publicity the program generated that should have been focussed on him for all the wonderful things he's done.

That's certainly not being a "man for others." Hey, Larry - take that Sword of Ignatius Loyola and fall on it.

Now that's just mean. We know he's helping Red China suppress Tibetan culture because he's jealous of the Dali Llama.

I think Biondi is doing this to hurt the program. He can't be oblivious to the necessity to get this done promptly. He is jealous of the publicity the program generated that should have been focussed on him for all the wonderful things he's done.

Yet Billikan thinks its a fan message board that is hurting the program...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that what Biondi is doing is hurting the program as well as showing a blatant disregard for the athletic department as whole. Its quite obvious that he does not make athletics a priority, which is a shame.

Billikan can cheerlead all he wants, and I usually agree with him. He is dead wrong on this. It has drug on now for way too long. State schools have hired and fired coaches in the time period that we can't announce an interim coach has been given the full time job. And they have to post jobs for a certain time period!

This post reaches new heights of idiocy! Father Biondi has been very supportive and Chris May has been working on this diligently for a week so all things can be finalized and move forward in a positive way. They are both committed to the long term success of the program. Message board morons drive me insane!

+1

Looking at other coaches IS the only logical reason for the delay. I can't think of any other valid reason. May and Biondi should have worked out the specifics of a contract offer BEFORE Biondi went on his road trip, so that way May could have presented the offer to Crews while Biondi was gone and away we go. I know Crews and May were not going to talk until after the season, but that doesn't mean May and Biondi couldn't have been talking to get on the same page.

Just because it's the only "logical" reason doesn't mean it's the only reason. We are dealing with Biondi here.

This post reaches new heights of idiocy! Father Biondi has been very supportive and Chris May has been working on this diligently for a week so all things can be finalized and move forward in a positive way. They are both committed to the long term success of the program. Message board morons drive me insane!

I forgot we are trying to negotiate a peace treaty with North Korea...Its completely ridiculous that its taken this long and the longer this goes the more it hurts the program

Just because it's the only "logical" reason doesn't mean it's the only reason. We are dealing with Biondi here.

Oh, I'm sure there are a lot of illogical reasons for the delay, but I was saying that was the only "valid" reason I could think. I'm almost getting to the point, where I hope that is why there is a delay. At least it would make sense. Perhaps Doc Chaifetz is making a house call.

Billikan can cheerlead all he wants, and I usually agree with him. He is dead wrong on this. It has drug on now for way too long. State schools have hired and fired coaches in the time period that we can't announce an interim coach has been given the full time job. And they have to post jobs for a certain time period!

That time period was damn short at UCLA, So. Alabama, TTech, and NM. Still, I am a little amazed the local media, who have supported JC being named HC since Feb, have not wrote a column on this. Both Burwell, Bernie, and the other guy whose name escapes me were all in on naming JC head coach. This would seem to be a column screaming to be written with all these other hires taking place in ridiculously short time periods. Something like, "What is the deal between JC and SLU?" Or, "Is he or isn't he?" Inquiring minds want to know.

I would agree w/ Billikan here. But as far working diligently on this for a week is hard to believe in light of how quickly other schools have taken action. Is that contract going to be longer than War and Peace?