More unrest at the University of Biondi

Tuition is 5x what it was when Biondi started. I know it has gone up nationally but shouldn't this at least enter the discussion? I know there are federal loans and financial aid and scholarships, etc. Beautiful buildings-- yes but it costs a heck of a lot now.

Tuition History

What was tuition at Saint Louis University Main Campus for the past five, ten, fifteen or twenty years? Looking at historical tuition increase rates may provide an indication as to expected increases in the future. Historical tuition and fees for all available data years back to 1987 follows.

• 2010 - $31,342 Tuition and Fees. 2% Annual Increase

2009 - $30,728 Tuition and Fees. 6.4% Annual Increase

2008 - $28,878 Tuition and Fees. 8.4% Annual Increase

2007 - $26,648 Tuition and Fees. 6.8% Annual Increase

2006 - $24,958 Tuition and Fees. 5.9% Annual Increase

2005 - $23,558 Tuition and Fees. 6% Annual Increase

2004 - $22,218 Tuition and Fees. 5.8% Annual Increase

2003 - $21,008 Tuition and Fees. 5.9% Annual Increase

2002 - $19,830 Tuition and Fees. 7.5% Annual Increase

2001 - $18,438 Tuition and Fees. 6.8% Annual Increase

2000 - $17,268 Tuition and Fees. 7.3% Annual Increase

1999 - $16,100 Tuition and Fees. 7.8% Annual Increase

1998 - $14,940 Tuition and Fees. 7.5% Annual Increase

1997 - $13,900 Tuition and Fees. 8.6% Annual Increase

1996 - $12,800 Tuition and Fees. 16.7% Annual Increase

1995 - $10,970 Tuition and Fees. 1.4% Annual Increase

1994 - $10,820 Tuition and Fees. 9.5% Annual Increase

1993 - $9,880 Tuition and Fees. 7.9% Annual Increase

1992 - $9,160 Tuition and Fees. 8% Annual Increase

1991 - $8,480 Tuition and Fees. 9.8% Annual Increase

1990 - $7,720 Tuition and Fees. 9% Annual Increase

1989 - $7,080 Tuition and Fees. 9.1% Annual Increase

1988 - $6,490 Tuition and Fees. 6% Annual Increase

1987 - $6,120 Tuition and Fees.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuition is 5x what it was when Biondi started. I know it has gone up nationally but shouldn't this at least enter the discussion? I know there are federal loans and financial aid and scholarships, etc. Beautiful buildings-- yes but it costs a heck of a lot now. Tuition History

What was tuition at Saint Louis University Main Campus for the past five, ten, fifteen or twenty years? Looking at historical tuition increase rates may provide an indication as to expected increases in the future. Historical tuition and fees for all available data years back to 1987 follows.

• 2009 - $30,728 Tuition and Fees. 6.4% Annual Increase
  • 2008 - $28,878 Tuition and Fees. 8.4% Annual Increase
  • 2007 - $26,648 Tuition and Fees. 6.8% Annual Increase
  • 2006 - $24,958 Tuition and Fees. 5.9% Annual Increase
  • 2005 - $23,558 Tuition and Fees. 6% Annual Increase
  • 2004 - $22,218 Tuition and Fees. 5.8% Annual Increase
  • 2003 - $21,008 Tuition and Fees. 5.9% Annual Increase
  • 2002 - $19,830 Tuition and Fees. 7.5% Annual Increase
  • 2001 - $18,438 Tuition and Fees. 6.8% Annual Increase
  • 2000 - $17,268 Tuition and Fees. 7.3% Annual Increase
  • 1999 - $16,100 Tuition and Fees. 7.8% Annual Increase
  • 1998 - $14,940 Tuition and Fees. 7.5% Annual Increase
  • 1997 - $13,900 Tuition and Fees. 8.6% Annual Increase
  • 1996 - $12,800 Tuition and Fees. 16.7% Annual Increase
  • 1995 - $10,970 Tuition and Fees. 1.4% Annual Increase
  • 1994 - $10,820 Tuition and Fees. 9.5% Annual Increase
  • 1993 - $9,880 Tuition and Fees. 7.9% Annual Increase
  • 1992 - $9,160 Tuition and Fees. 8% Annual Increase
  • 1991 - $8,480 Tuition and Fees. 9.8% Annual Increase
  • 1990 - $7,720 Tuition and Fees. 9% Annual Increase
  • 1989 - $7,080 Tuition and Fees. 9.1% Annual Increase
  • 1988 - $6,490 Tuition and Fees. 6% Annual Increase
  • 1987 - $6,120 Tuition and Fees.

wow, that is truly unconscionable. glad i got out before it went completely off the deep end. my kids will go to school for free, or they'll go to school in europe. it's getting completely out of hand.

<p>Tuition is 5x what it was when Biondi started. I know it has gone up nationally but shouldn't this at least enter the discussion? I know there are federal loans and financial aid and scholarships, etc. Beautiful buildings-- yes but it costs a heck of a lot now. Tuition History

• 2009 - $30,728 Tuition and Fees. 6.4% Annual Increase
  • 2008 - $28,878 Tuition and Fees. 8.4% Annual Increase
  • 2007 - $26,648 Tuition and Fees. 6.8% Annual Increase
  • 2006 - $24,958 Tuition and Fees. 5.9% Annual Increase
  • 2005 - $23,558 Tuition and Fees. 6% Annual Increase
  • 2004 - $22,218 Tuition and Fees. 5.8% Annual Increase
  • 2003 - $21,008 Tuition and Fees. 5.9% Annual Increase
  • 2002 - $19,830 Tuition and Fees. 7.5% Annual Increase
  • 2001 - $18,438 Tuition and Fees. 6.8% Annual Increase
  • 2000 - $17,268 Tuition and Fees. 7.3% Annual Increase
  • 1999 - $16,100 Tuition and Fees. 7.8% Annual Increase
  • 1998 - $14,940 Tuition and Fees. 7.5% Annual Increase
  • 1997 - $13,900 Tuition and Fees. 8.6% Annual Increase
  • 1996 - $12,800 Tuition and Fees. 16.7% Annual Increase
  • 1995 - $10,970 Tuition and Fees. 1.4% Annual Increase
  • 1994 - $10,820 Tuition and Fees. 9.5% Annual Increase
  • 1993 - $9,880 Tuition and Fees. 7.9% Annual Increase
  • 1992 - $9,160 Tuition and Fees. 8% Annual Increase
  • 1991 - $8,480 Tuition and Fees. 9.8% Annual Increase
  • 1990 - $7,720 Tuition and Fees. 9% Annual Increase
  • 1989 - $7,080 Tuition and Fees. 9.1% Annual Increase
  • 1988 - $6,490 Tuition and Fees. 6% Annual Increase
  • 1987 - $6,120 Tuition and Fees.

Looking at widely available statistics on increases in college tuition, these numbers appear pretty much in line. I wonder if the collective changes to SLU over this time period are also in line with most other private four year universities. I know the changes have been absolutely transformational both physically and programmatically from when I was there. I finished undergrad in the mid 1980s.

A big part of the problem has been the "arms race" between generally well-funded public schools who have three primary sources of cash flow and private schools who have just two of the three sources of cash flow (they lack material cash flows from taxes). Granted this has changed somewhat recently, but for a long portion of the period in question, it was the case.

Looking at widely available statistics on increases in college tuition, these numbers appear pretty much in line. I wonder if the collective changes to SLU over this time period are also in line with most other private four year universities. I know the changes have been absolutely transformational both physically and programmatically from when I was there. I finished undergrad in the mid 1980s.

A big part of the problem has been the "arms race" between generally well-funded public schools who have three primary sources of cash flow and private schools who have just two of the three sources of cash flow (they lack material cash flows from taxes). Granted this has changed somewhat recently, but for a long portion of the period in question, it was the case.

With grants and scholarships, I wonder how many students are actually paying that ridiculous amount? Is it just the foreign students that are getting bilked at that rate? When I was in school in mid-nineties half of some of my business classes seemed to be populated with European kids

With grants and loans, I wonder how many students are actually paying that ridiculous amount? Is it just the foreign students that are getting bilked at that rate? When I was in school in mid-nineties half of some of my business classes seemed to be populated with European kids

Loans are great until the student graduates and is loaded with massive debt before they land their first real job.

I understand your point. But his turning the campus into an "oasis" has come at a pretty steep price to students. I think that should be a part of the discussion on how he has transformed midtown

-those are interesting numbers on tuition but presented in a vacuum, what are other similar schools doing over the same time period?

Reasonably similar according to various sources. SLU may be slightly higher than average, but certainly not materially out of line.

From 1993, archived from US news:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/931004/archive_016704_4.htm

Kind of annoying to read, but according to this, in '93, SLU was ranked somewhere between 103rd and 153rd. According to US News' most recent rankings (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/st.-louis-university-2506) we are 92nd.

Not sure what you're saying here.

+1. BillikenLaw got owned.

I acknowledge that tuition is increasing everywhere. Campuses are expanding and building everywhere. I went to Dayton for undergrad in the mid 90s. I don't recognize the campus today. those who went before me said the same when I went there. Buildings and acquisitions have been happening with private schools across the country. College campuses have become manicured resorts. I know Marquette has had similar transformations. Look at Wash U and the building and expansion.

Biondi has done at SLU what other private schools have been doing across the country. The "arms race" that you speak of. I think we look at SLU and marvel at the transformation because it is in front of us and we are SLU alumni. But, I think similar statements can be said at a lot of similar schools. As a result, tuition has exploded universally.

If Biondi gets credit for the building boom that has taken place nationally on college campuses that he brought to SLU, he has to take blame for his contribution to the explosion in tuition.

If Biondi gets credit for the building boom that has taken place nationally on college campuses that he brought to SLU, he has to take blame for his contribution to the explosion in tuition.

-wow, to me this a f-a-r reach

+1. BillikenLaw got owned.

It stands to reason someone named BillikenLaw was probably referring to the law school's ranking, which plummeted all the way from the 60s to out of the top 100 in five years or so. Granted, a lot of that had to do initially with the way US News treats part-time evening law programs, but our inability to climb back into the top 100 also has a lot to do with Biondi's mishandling of the ongoing spectacle over our last several deans.

-wow, to me this a f-a-r reach

I didn't say that he was solely responsible for the entire system but that he was an active participant in it. The result is a palace of a campus and high tuition. If you want to say that tuition went up everywhere, fine. So did buildings and manicured campuses everywhere. All i have said is that when the final book gets written on Biondi, praise him for his building effort. However, you need to also put in there that tuition went from $6,100 per year to $31,000 during his tenure. To me, that means something.

Transformations of a lot of campuses have happened over the past 25 years. My point is SLU/Biondi isn't the only one to do this in the past 25 years. AlumniFan even called it an "arms race." But not one person on this board or around town says this. He is a "genius" for what he has done. But the moment I say that tuition has increased 5x during his tenure, people immediately say how has it increased across the board. All good but no bad.

RFT posted an article about a professor who left for ND complaining about Biondi.

The article shows some email exchanges between he and some Trustees. His main gripe was he was a Political Science professor who wanted a salary increase with a joint position in the law school (apparently Law School professors get paid more and the move would make sense) But the move was rejected by the law faculty and he pointed the finger at Biondi. He seems like a great professor that was well liked but wasn't going to be happy with the salary of a SLU Political Science professor.

I thought the emails from the Trustees were pretty good although slightly unprofessional.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/03/lawrence_biondi_matthew_hall_slu_trustees.php?page=3

"...you consistently lobbied to be made a member of the law faculty (because it would have meant more money)---ironically that effort was largely rejected by the law faculty---you are not, after all, a lawyer" -Trustee

"To be honest, even if SLU had matched the offer, I don't know if I could have stayed here."

RFT posted an article about a professor who left for ND complaining about Biondi.

The article shows some email exchanges between he and some Trustees. His main gripe was he was a Political Science professor who wanted a salary increase with a joint position in the law school (apparently Law School professors get paid more and the move would make sense) But the move was rejected by the law faculty and he pointed the finger at Biondi. He seems like a great professor that was well liked but wasn't going to be happy with the salary of a SLU Political Science professor.

I thought the emails from the Trustees were pretty good although slightly unprofessional.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/03/lawrence_biondi_matthew_hall_slu_trustees.php?page=3

"...you consistently lobbied to be made a member of the law faculty (because it would have meant more money)---ironically that effort was largely rejected by the law faculty---you are not, after all, a lawyer" -Trustee

"To be honest, even if SLU had matched the offer, I don't know if I could have stayed here."

Slightly unprofessional?

I didn't say that he was solely responsible for the entire system but that he was an active participant in it. The result is a palace of a campus and high tuition. If you want to say that tuition went up everywhere, fine. So did buildings and manicured campuses everywhere. All i have said is that when the final book gets written on Biondi, praise him for his building effort. However, you need to also put in there that tuition went from $6,100 per year to $31,000 during his tenure. To me, that means something.

Transformations of a lot of campuses have happened over the past 25 years. My point is SLU/Biondi isn't the only one to do this in the past 25 years. AlumniFan even called it an "arms race." But not one person on this board or around town says this. He is a "genius" for what he has done. But the moment I say that tuition has increased 5x during his tenure, people immediately say how has it increased across the board. All good but no bad.

I'm sorry. I guess I just do not understand your point.

He certainly wouldn't be the first professor at the law school who isn't a lawyer. We have a shrink who's a law school professor because she happens to be married to the dean of the health law program and another professor who's never been licensed to practice anywhere but was given an associate professorship at SLU when the ink wasn't even dry on his JD (this guy also happens to teach under a hyphenated one-word stage name he adopted as a professional DJ).

He certainly wouldn't be the first professor at the law school who isn't a lawyer. We have a shrink who's a law school professor because she happens to be married to the dean of the health law program and another professor who's never been licensed to practice anywhere but was given an associate professorship at SLU when the ink wasn't even dry on his JD (this guy also happens to teach under a hyphenated one-word stage name he adopted as a professional DJ).

When I was there, there were a couple "pure academics" who had never practiced law. Not many, but there were some. Funny some of the courses those professors were assigned.

-ok, so what has happened with the tuition at similar schools during the same period? show me that SLU is out of line and I will think differently but putting one piece of data on the table is incomplete to me

I'm sorry. I guess I just do not understand your point.

The beautiful campus has come at an expensive price for a student. A SLU education is not as affordable as it used to be. It has way out paced inflation and wages. The buildings are being paid for by SLU students that are going to be mired in federal and private student loans for a lifetime. $75,000 to $100,000 in student loans is not unusual for a SLU grad.

A guy like me who went through SLU and has been fairly fortunate. It took me 12-13 years to pay off my loans. I know several who had double what I had. During this time, I have not been able to save as much as I should for my kids college because I was still paying my own. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that I will send my kids to SLU (or similar Catholic university) without them having to bear huge loans. If they do, the cycle will continue with their kids.

as it stands today, I will likely send my kids to state schools and would not consider SLU. This is from someone whose family has 5-6 different alumni in it.

-ok, so what has happened with the tuition at similar schools during the same period? show me that SLU is out of line and I will think differently but putting one piece of data on the table is incomplete to me

It has gone up too. I'm not saying it didn't.

Biondi and his brethern at other similar schools have spent huge amounts of money on campus improvements. During that time, the campuses have become resorts. During that time, tuitions have exploded.

Students have to have wealthy parents or borrow large sums of money to go to SLU. It wasn't always that way. While the campus is beautiful, I look with a jaundiced eye because I know how much of it is being paid for.

DJ JD would be the most up/awesome name ever.

When I was there, there were a couple "pure academics" who had never practiced law. Not many, but there were some. Funny some of the courses those professors were assigned.

Yeah, there are usually a few profs like that at most schools, but they generally are still licensed attorneys, even if they've never actually practiced. The DJ guy I'm talking about has never been licensed anywhere. He also happens to be a convicted felon, with the teardrop tattoo from his prison stay to prove it, so he might not even have been allowed to sit for the bar anyway. But he also hasn't even published any articles in any reputable journals. If the whole dean situation wasn't a ripe enough target for ridicule, the fact that this guy is on board would fit the bill.

And DJ JD would've been awesome...