Louisville/Duke

Taj79

Made me sick to.my stomach.

Martin Kilcoyne was just on KPLR with Rich Gould he said channel 2 will not be showing the replay because it was to gruesome. I dont think they will be replaying it on other news casts either.

I was watching it with the cousins at our Easter gathering and the groans coming out of the room shook the walls.

I didn't get to see it, but from twitter reactions I don't think I want to. Joe Thiesmann like.

I dont recommend it but it was all over youtube within seconds.

Thiesmann, Willis Mcghee, this one was worse.

Radio reports were saying two Louiville playera began vomitting after it happened.

OMG. First time I've seen it. I was listening online and the announcers were horrified by it. Thoughts and prayers to Kevin Ware.

It was definitely a gruesome injury - probably one of the worst sports injuries I've seen. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Also, congrats to Louisville. That they were able to put forth such a strong performance after what happened says a lot; they were definitely the better team last night.

Apparently Mr. Ware is on crutches and hopes to be back on campus this evening, per Twitter. The heartbreaking thing is that he's from Atlanta.

I hope that U of L and Wichita State can work something out where Ware maybe gets the start and is on the court for the opening tip and then they take him out of the game so he can get an applause from the hometown and UofL fans in the Ga. Dome. Would be a nice touch.

Apparently Mr. Ware is on crutches and hopes to be back on campus this evening, per Twitter. The heartbreaking thing is that he's from Atlanta.

I hope that U of L and Wichita State can work something out where Ware maybe gets the start and is on the court for the opening tip and then they take him out of the game so he can get an applause from the hometown and UofL fans in the Ga. Dome. Would be a nice touch.

He's from Atlanta? I thought he was from NYC.

He's from Atlanta? I thought he was from NYC.

Born in NYC, prepped in the ATL... not sure if his family moved down to Georgia for his high school career or whatnot. Rockdale Co. H.S. due east of Atlanta on I-20.

Truly a horrific accident. Before it occurred, it was a loud and boisterous crowd....35000 total....30000 Lville fans. An electrifying atmosphere for the first 13 minutes as the game seesawed back and forth. And then....deafening silence....as though someone hit a mute button.....an eerie environment. Most of the crowd did not know what had happened. Adding to the confusion, was the fact that as soon as Ware went down ....4 other players went down too ....from the shock ....so the whole team was laying on the floor. Some in the crowd thought there had been some sort of terrorist attack ....with maybe a crazed shooter in the crowd....but as people started to pass cell phones through the crowd it became apparent what had happened. After Ware was wheeled out on a stretcher to a standing O....the game resumed with a damper on it. Duke came out with extra energy and the Cards were out of sync. Two minutes later ....Lville had missed 4 of 5 from the field plus 2 free throws...Duke had their largest lead of the night ...3pts. After the timeout, Lville righted the ship and reached halftime with a small lead. During halftime, the team had a short prayer service conducted by Father Bradley(mentioned in another thread) and pulled together with a vow to win it for Ware. They only spent a short time in the locker room and came out way early and much before Duke to start their warmups. The 2nd half continued to be a tight affair for the first 7 min and then you could see Duke starting to slow down. The wear of a shorter bench plus the quick tempo and pressing defense by Lville was too much and it was over at that point.

It was a great game but the game was not the main story. It was one of the strangest games I have ever attended. One of exhilaration mixed with somber. In these days where basketball and sports are glorified at the college level, everyone had a moment to remember that these are just students playing a game and that no matter what is at stake there are more important things in life. People had a chance for a few minutes to at least think about that as Ware laid there in agony.

During the awards ceremony as Lville receved the trophy, the team held up Ware's jersey as the crowd chanted Kev-in, Kev-in. While this was going on, the stadium staff had put up ladders for the net cutting ceremony. When the awards ceremony was over, the team quietly walked past the ladders and straight to the locker room. Sunday was not about cutting down nets but remembering what is important.

I had this in another thread but after reading more realized it fits better here.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/injured-louisville-cardinal-player-kevin-ware-recovers-at-iu-methodist-hospital

Channel 6 ABC in Indy interviewing Pitino outside Methodist Hospital which is about 2 miles from LOS.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/louisvilles-kevin-ware-expected-to-be-released-from-methodist-hospital-doctors-say

includes picture of Ware on crutches in hospital.

Among his visitors was NCAA President Mark Emmert, spokeswoman Stacy Osburn said

What I'm sure of is that Emmert didn't buy his lunch. :)

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130402/SPORTS/304020033/Louisville-s-Kevin-Ware-discharged-from-Methodist-Hospital

Quick small blurb from the Indy Star saying Ware has been released from Methodist Hospital (it's kind of ironic that Methodist is one of three large hospitals in the Indiana University Health System which also includes Indiana University Hospital and the Simon Cancer Center where Colts coach, Chuck Pagano, received his treatment and Riley's Childrens Hospital).