• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, willie said:

Now that you say that I think you are right 

No.

Jack Holley died a few years ago.

Tom Holley was just in the news as his Here Today chain of stores closed in January.  Still a big supporter of SLU Athletics. I see him at games frequently.

58 minutes ago, almaman said:

We're they brothers?

No.  Jack was his father.  Tom's grandfather started the business.  Jack, after running the initial store, started an offshoot of stores in illinois and soon bought the chain from his father in law.  He gave the business to Tom in the 80s who expanded and then sold the business.  Tom owned Raycom sports as well and did Billiken games on TV through the early 90s, which is why most Billikens fans are familiar with him.

Since I'm probably the only non alum fan in this community, I only have games on dvd and vhs to show my fandom:

The Orlando Stewart Game

Regular season games from the late 80's and from this decade

Every NCAA Tournament game from the 1993-94 season to this one

This year's A10 title game

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Since I'm probably the only non alum fan in this community, I only have games on dvd and vhs to show my fandom:

The Orlando Stewart Game

I taped this year's A10 title game, but, go figure, there were (still are) flood warnings all over the state of Iowa, so the recording is contaminated with the warning graphics. 

15 hours ago, kshoe said:

Oddly, I do. I was forced to clean out my old room/closet today because my folks are remodeling the house. Had a bunch of VHS tapes from late 90s games (I taped them back in the day). Most are in the trash at this point but I saved the following games:

- SLU over Kansas at the Scottrade in 99 (the Robertson brothers game)

- SLU over UMASS in the 98 NCAA tourney (Larry's year). I also have the UK game on the same tape, but nobody should ever want to watch that game.

- CBC 1997 state championship game (Larry and Justin).

- A SLU produced video called "Sit in on a Jam Session" featuring Douglas/Gray as sophomores and Bonner as a freshman from the 86-87 season

If anyone wants them to convert to digital, you are welcome to it. PM me.

Holy crap.  I'd love to see these games.  I have the Soderberg-era Louisville game on VHS somewhere.

5 hours ago, Brighton said:

The Orlando Stewart Game

I 2 non alum

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

For me it came naturally. I grew up during the Bonner era and followed the games on KPLR.

People ask me all of the time if I went to school there when they see that I am wearing gear. They think it's cool until I tell them that I'm not an alum or even from the area. Then they're just left scratching their head. They ask me "why SLU?" I follow that up with "why not SLU?"

1 hour ago, mechee89 said:

People ask me all of the time if I went to school there when they see that I am wearing gear. They think it's cool until I tell them that I'm not an alum or even from the area. Then they're just left scratching their head. They ask me "why SLU?" I follow that up with "why not SLU?"

Fuok those people 

Billiken Rich likes this

2 hours ago, mechee89 said:

I'd always just assumed you were an undergrad and grad student at one or the other (SLU and Iowa). Well that's cool, glad to have you. More the merrier. I've mentioned before, I'm not an alum either. My late father attended SLU for two years after coming home from WW2. He and mom got to see the 1948 NIT team and we always rooted for the Bills ever after.

rgbilliken likes this

14 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Kinda on topic but has anyone seen the pro sphere stuff on amazon? They’re selling SLU basketball jerseys but they look fake but have a ton of SLU apparel. Search “SLU basketball jersey” and a ton of SLU apparel I’ve never seen before show up 

also I need this jersey 

6DD0F411-2BD8-4463-ACE1-782FC2CA45A0.jpeg

Those are so effin weird. Also I think there's a billiken jersey in the Hot in Herre video or country grammar. Can't remember which