This is getting old

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Let him lead?" Since when has anyone had the ability to let or not let him do anything?

I believe all the protests have hamstrung his leadership and the university has suffered. I'm not saying he shouldn't be fired, he probably should be. But I am tired of feeble attempts. Its pathetic.

He is still most definitely in charge. I think the faculty now are just responding reflexively as they have been thwarted at every turn. Biondi has handpicked the board of trustees and has cultivated his power for decades. That sort of helplessness in the face of what they perceive as injustice always leads to this sort of flailing.

The best part is the rant by some old lady in the comments.

SHE WANTS TO SCREAM!!!!

Mary Alice Norman · St. louis university
So is Saint Louis University going to let the animals run the zoo? In what other professional job can you openly criticize the boss and expect to remain employed. As an alumni I am so weary of this constant whining by the faculty, staff and students that I want to scream. If you don't like your boss, quit and go someplace else. No one is chained to the buildings or the Clocktower for that matter. Fr. Biondi has done so much not only for the university but for all of Midtown. No slums just east of the campus, a real campus setting, not one of the whining faculty could have done a better job. Grow up and do the job you were hired for, teach!

Mary Alice Norman · St. louis university[/size]

So is Saint Louis University going to let the animals run the zoo? In what other professional job can you openly criticize the boss and expect to remain employed. As an alumni I am so weary of this constant whining by the faculty, staff and students that I want to scream. If you don't like your boss, quit and go someplace else. No one is chained to the buildings or the Clocktower for that matter. Fr. Biondi has done so much not only for the university but for all of Midtown. No slums just east of the campus, a real campus setting, not one of the whining faculty could have done a better job. Grow up and do the job you were hired for, teach!

Reply · · 48 minutes ago

I take it you have no idea who that "old lady" is in Billikenland. I hope you don't own any thoroughbreds, because if you do, you're likely to wake up soon with its head under the covers with you. :ph34r:

I take it you have no idea who that "old lady" is in Billikenland. I hope you don't own any thoroughbreds, because if you do, you're likely to wake up soon with its head under the covers with you. :ph34r:

When I still did signs, she used to give me Christmas cookies.

How did you conclude that she was an old lady?

SHE WANTS TO SCREAM!!!!

Mary Alice Norman · St. louis university

Again, another alum equating real estate development with progress. Yes, the campus itself has improved immensely during Biondi's tenure. I'd trade statues and manicured lawns for improved rankings any day.

And guess what? A lot of excellent faculty members who don't like their boss are leaving. Good luck attracting talented replacements.

Why not address the problem instead of just portraying the faculty and students as a bunch of whiners?

I get some of the comments here, but she definitely has a point. If you don't like the job, quit whining and leave. If I put this kind of a stink up where I work, I would not be treated with kid gloves - I'd be fired. Period. End of discussion.

I know plenty of people involved with all of this and I hear a lot of different opinions. There are several people who comment routinely on THIS board and I know for an absolute fact they have NO IDEA what is really going on and some (certainly not all) of the faculty also fall into that category. No organization is perfect and SLU is no exception. We all have a right to our opinion, even the 18-21 year old kids on campus, but with the right to an opinion comes a responsibility to exercise it appropriately. MY OPINION is that there are a lot of people who are not exercising their opinions responsibly and as an alumnus I find that very, very frustrating and thus I agree with much of what the lady referenced above said. Moreover, you can say all you want about the development of midtown, but with development comes opportunity for rich AND for poor and everyone in between. I hear from the people who think Biondi screwed them over in some deal and Lord knows they are very public about their opinions. However, I also hear from people who Biondi worked with on real estate deals and other deals and appreciate what he has done for the area and for their property and the values of their property and for their businesses/organizations. Of course, they are much less vocal so, as is usually the case in our hyper-social media society, the whiners and the bitchers get 90% of the attention and the others get 10% of the attention even if they represent more like 50% of the people.

Plenty of people work tirelessly for change, but don't feel the need to post 5,000 times a day to facebook or twitter or stltoday.com or whatever with every little beef. They don't need to lead protests or sit-ins or votes of no-confidence. Don't forget that those people, albeit relatively obscure, exist. Without them, we would all be much worse off. The proverbial squeaky wheel may well get the grease, but they aren't necessarily the ones that lead to meaningful and, perhaps more importantly, sustainably meaningful change. They don't disappear after an issue becomes passe or boring; they keep working to make things better without the constant need for attention and adulation. Thank God for all of them.

I don't see anyone complaining about 99% of the people employed by the University or working on its behalf, those doing good work on a day-to-day basis.

SLU would be in a lot worse shape if there were dramatic change among the faculty and students than if it were to replace the President. If employees and students are not happy, they're going to leave and other smart, qualified people aren't going to want to be at SLU because of the climate there right now. We're going to see a serious deterioration in quality of students (and level of education, and ranking, and so forth) if something doesn't change at the top soon. Just calling those who complain about what's going on "whiners" achieves nothing. If this many people are upset, chances are it's not them who is the problem.

I don't see anyone complaining about 99% of the people employed by the University or working on its behalf, those doing good work on a day-to-day basis.

SLU would be in a lot worse shape if there were dramatic change among the faculty and students than if it were to replace the President. If employees and students are not happy, they're going to leave and other smart, qualified people aren't going to want to be at SLU because of the climate there right now. We're going to see a serious deterioration in quality of students (and level of education, and ranking, and so forth) if something doesn't change at the top soon. Just calling those who complain about what's going on "whiners" achieves nothing. If this many people are upset, chances are it's not them who is the problem.

Stuff like this is troubling: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/03/lawrence_biondi_matthew_hall_slu_trustees.php