Jim Crews- I'm ALL-IN

i think many people get confused about that statement. As far as I know it was due to a policy in the army where you are not allowed to physically touch someone who is of a lower rank than you. I think Crews did this at a practice or something and was dismissed due to a violation of this rule. I know the details are a little fuzzy on the whole situation and there could have been abuse but I think it is unfair to assume he abused a player and he certainly didn't have any problems of physical or verbal abuse this year. I think the fact that he wasn't even asked about it once this season is telling that it was probably just due to this rule

If that is the explanation, that he touched a player in a way that was not malicious or threatening, but due to Army protocol he had to be let go, that is something that could be told to a recruit or family member and it would become a non-issue. As long as it isn't something like Bobby Knight's situation with Neil Reed should be OK.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to defer to those who know a lot more about college basketball and our situation than I do. If those in power think Jim Crews is the man to take us to new heights, I'm going to support them.

You think Fr. B knows anything about college hoops other than the Billikens' budget numbers? The guy scheduled a trip to Asia for the A-10 tourney and the first round of the NCAA's. And did the same thing last year. Yeah, he knows tons. The key phrase in your post is "take us to new heights." RM took us to new heights and JC kept us there this year. And hopefully a little higher next year with basically the same players. What has everyone concerned is can he maintain that altitude after all of RM's guys have left?

If that is the explanation, that he touched a player in a way that was not malicious or threatening, but due to Army protocol he had to be let go, that is something that could be told to a recruit or family member and it would become a non-issue. As long as it isn't something like Bobby Knight's situation with Neil Reed should be OK.

I cant.imagine it was anything to serious.

Crews had former Army players come talk to the team this year.

If he was abusing players there is no way a former player would want to come speak.to his team.

At least thats the way I see it.

I will pick up my seats for next season as well, but if we are still in the A-10 and the roster looks as bleak as I think it will for 2014, I am done. I have stuck with this program through some unbelievably lean years, but if it comes to pass that we let this thing fall apart right while we are on the cusp of really moving this thing forward, then I will spend my money elsewhere

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Fair or not, Crews is not a sexy hire. Early in the season it seemed to take him a while to get his bearings and during that time I questioned whether he wanted the job at all.

When RM took over BS's team I think he took awhile to get his bearings and during that time I questioned his inability to accept that the players weren't playing his way all the way kept that team from going as far as they would of if the change hadn't been made. Also that time JC was getting his bearings is same time team was without their captain KM.

He has earned the opportunity. There is no doubt about that.

However, I think it is very fair to be concerned about the future given that this program is at a very critical juncture and we need a competent leader to continue what Coach Majerus started.

Weber took Self's players to the final four and then did next to nothing once they left. Recruiting is at least half the battle, if not more. The jury is still out on whether or not Crews can do that at this level.

Good point. Let's see what he can do in K-State.

He didn't win anything, the players who were recruited and taught by Coach Majerus won.

How do we know a lot of credit is due to Crews for the season. If that is true, does credit of under-performing in the NCAA tournament belong to him too?

We are at a crossroads as a program and I wish we weren't taking a risk on an unproven commodity.

4 tournaments in 17 years is not what we should be aiming for.

Like some guys said before, we are the only D1 basketball team in this town and no NBA team here. We need to aim higher.

This un-scientic poll indicates that the pro-Crews camp is the majority on this board:

1. Yes (67 votes [58.77%])

2. bullet_star_rated.png No (47 votes [41.23%])

68 i forgot to vote. I've been in his corner the day RM brought him aboard. I trusted him with raw 18 year olds from around the globe and I'm certainly going to trust him in regards to his choice of coaches.

We should go after another big name. I would really be excited about Tubby Smith. He has an amazing track record of getting into the tournament. I think someone posted something along the lines of 17/20 years he has been in the tournament.

Again, I once this is final, I am willing to give Crews my support. But there are a lot of people on this message board who get really upset if someone has an opinion different than their own. If you want to go around ignoring those people, fine. My feelings aren't hurt.

Not a good idea. The salary is a big issue here.

When RM took over BS's team I think he took awhile to get his bearings and during that time I questioned his inability to accept that the players weren't playing his way all the way kept that team from going as far as they would of if the change hadn't been made. Also that time JC was getting his bearings is same time team was without their captain KM.

No offense to TLIII or Kevin but RM did not inherit quite the team that Crews did. Also Rick had a track record of success that Crews will hopefully come close to attaining over the next few years. The two situations are most definately not the same.....

And you think SLU would pay him $1.5 million or more because that is what he will want. Will he come here knowing he won't have the support other basketball programs will give him. We have a less basketball budget than a lot of mid-majors and whole lot less than some of the bigger names schools. You think he would magically come here taking a step down in salary, we're still in the A10, no charter flights, no high AC salary, etc?

I am all for going after a big name Coach, but we have to be realistic.

I agreed with the idea some people have said here. Hire a young who are seeking a long-term job and wants to put himself all in. It could be assistant coach of Smart or Stevens.

Smart's assistant or associate got his own HC yesterday

Other schools UCLA are busy firing and hiring; Chaifetz, May, Biondi must have agreed after the A10 tournament victory to support JC and

over 17 years JC learned to shut up when the bosses have re-upped but not signed the papers--properly played on Crews' part.

RM ran off and was quotable JC was on script.

Sure hope we don't lose either Tanner or Whitesell both seem to fit well and like their roles in the wins-Crews even let KM and DE run the

huddles during the games.

I am concerned if we have a true Bigs coach like Jensen was and hope the rest of the staff can bring in the recruits to top 15 team so we can fill the losses of Conklin from last year and KM. CE, and CR.

John Manning needs to go to a good BIGS summer camp and the guards need to find him next year. JB needs to run track and take agility

training he is the slowest of the guys getting minutes and his future is now.

U News writer beats down on Coach Crews in this article.

http://hankssportsblog.com/despite-2012-13-successes-jim-crews-not-the-answer-for-saint-louis/

I have to say i agree with most of what he's saying.

+1, great piece on the situation. Kind of bummed it seems the Crews contract is going to be wrapped up without the U. even poking its' head around elsewhere.

Nothing personal against, Brian Haenchen but he needs to learn the meaning of source. I doubt any of these "sources" actually sourced any information besides the opinion that Haenchen wanted them to parrot. The article shows a lack of understanding how things usually happen in college basketball and is chock full of "sources with intimate knowledge" that seem an awful like posters from this board.

How many guys are hired as coaches in waiting? 1. at SMU with Larry Brown in CBB. I know of a few others that have earned it by staying put over time and are the heir apparent but none hired as the coach in waiting. it's happened in CFB but has had mixed results.

The general consensus is that he will only coach 5 years. How am I unaware of the general consensus? Again nothing personal against Brian Haenchen but an individual from a major conference flatly told me he doesn't know what the f&ck he's talking about.

Whether or not his sources are legit or not, the article still raises serious concerns about JC's ability to take this program forward. Look, we all agree he did a masterful job this year under some really unusual circumstances. I also happen to think the players are the type of people that had the "refuse to lose" attitude. And it upsets me when posters on here say they quit against Oregon. They didn't quit they had a really bad night, like we did against Santa Clara and RI. As for we had no answer against their zone, we did, we fired up 21 3 point shots. Zones are geared to take away your inside game and make you hit from the outside. Simple fact, we couldn't make them.

But moving on to the JC issue. I think he's corrrect when he says JC is the safe hire and SLU's looked at no one else. It's safe because who's going to criticize it except for on here. Heck, every local reporter and national broadcaster has said he should have been crowned HC a month ago. But the point is a lot of hardcore SLU fans believe they're taking the low cost option and we're gonna be an after thought when it comes to getting in the new BEAST.

My main concern about JC is not that he'll go in the tank with next year's team, but does he have the ambition/motivation/energy to keep moving us forward from there. Assume for a moment, the BE powers that be don't make a decision on expansion until after next season. How are they going to measure SLU's program? Then assume the following happens; we make the dance 3rd year in a row- good. Go to the sweet 16- unbelieveably good. Anything further- icing on the cake. But... we have what appears to be a very mediocre FR class coming in- bad because our roster appears weak for '14-15 season. And follow that up with there is little buzz about our next recruiting class-bad. What conclusion would you reach? Try this, well, they hired JC who's never really done much on his own. He won w/ RM's kids, but he's not going to win with what he's got coming in. This is the scenario that has me concerned about this hire. If we appear not to be building off 3 straight NCAA appearances, they will look elsewhere to fill in the next two spots. Being Jesuit, being in the 21st largest market, being a nice stop over on their way to Omaha won't help us a wit if it appears we're going to be the next DePaul.

I think the solution is the same one that SMU took. Hire a young AC and tell him he's got the job going into the '16-17 season if he lands us what appears to be promising recruits. This way he learns under a good X and O guy. He gets to work with kids that have been taught by RM. He gets to display his sales skills. Sticking w/ the status quo is just taking to big a chance at this point. We've got to make some kind of move that shows the Beast we're serious about being a player on the national scene. Just hiring JC, is not going to show them much.

hey i am fine with crews getting the job. he had a heck of a year as the coach under a difficult scenario. i am in the camp that he deserves the opportunity to try. i am not on the high side of believing he is the right guy, but i truly understand what he has earned.

that said, he knows the uphill climb he has to attack asap with a roster that is basically from a quality standpoint, our four juniors. he has to bring in quality fast. if he lets the program sink to an ekker like level after 2014, he will be toast. so he knows what he has to accomplish. if he isnt willing to dig in and do the job himself, and/or he doesnt have the assistants to do it, he would be a fool to take it on.

hey i am fine with crews getting the job. he had a heck of a year as the coach under a difficult scenario. i am in the camp that he deserves the opportunity to try. i am not on the high side of believing he is the right guy, but i truly understand what he has earned.

that said, he knows the uphill climb he has to attack asap with a roster that is basically from a quality standpoint, our four juniors. he has to bring in quality fast. if he lets the program sink to an ekker like level after 2014, he will be toast. so he knows what he has to accomplish. if he isnt willing to dig in and do the job himself, and/or he doesnt have the assistants to do it, he would be a fool to take it on.

very well said, Roy.

May I remind the doubting Thomases out there that what Jim Crews has to work with from a recruiting standpoint at SLU absolutely dwarfs what he had to work with at Evansville. You can't base this "he can't recruit" off of comparing what he has to work with in 2013 v. what he had to work with at UE in 1993. He went from selling Chevrolets in Evansville to Audis in St. Louis. Let's see what he can do.

I don't think what he said are idiotic. He made some good points.

AMDG is a troll. He should be on everyone's ignore list. And I don't say that lightly as I've had opinions that differ with many on this board. The fact is AMDG gets off behind his computer screen hurling insults and being a "big bad internet message board poster".

U News writer beats down on Coach Crews in this article.

http://hankssportsblog.com/despite-2012-13-successes-jim-crews-not-the-answer-for-saint-louis/

I have to say i agree with most of what he's saying.

Keep in mind te author I this article is a Mizzou fan who at the start of the season made it clear he knew next to nothing about the program he was covering.

Seems like a Kevin Slaten training to me.