Jim Crews- I'm ALL-IN

I felt we needed to make it to the sweet 16 this season because it was our best chance ever.

You are correct that Tubby doesn't have a great track record getting past the round of 32, however, when it comes to getting in, he's pretty much guaranteed. 17/20 > 4/17.

And I'll never turn down a hug, thanks.

You can't have it both ways. Upset with one guy for not making it past the rd of 32 and then want to hire a guy who has a history of not making it past the rd of 32 at more prolific schools. Well, I guess you can want it both ways ... it just doesn't make sense.

You call it our best chance ever. I prefer our best chance so far

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have concerns, but I would have concerns with anyone. I've read about Crews' past, but don't really have much knowledge about it. What I did notice about this year:

1. He appears to be a solid to very solid gameday coach. The plan against NMSU was great. And contrary to what others say, I don't believe coaching was the reason we lost against Oregon.

2. He appears to have lightened up personality-wise. I've read/heard about his hard*ass ways in the past, but he appeared quite laid back with the players this year. I think today's players/recruits will relate to it much more.

3. I liked our offense more under Crews than I did RM. We attacked more. I would think players/recruits would enjoy that style of ball.

4. Related to #3, the team/Crews thrived generally under RM's system (with the addition of attacking a little more). I would think we'd keep it intact and Crews would adopt many of RM's ideas.

5. The chemistry between the coaching staff seems great. Bronson/Whitsell/Crews seemed to work very well together.

6. Recruiting...the big question mark. At least we have one decent looking player and appear to be in on some spring guys. Who knows how this will go, but the buzz created by this season might give Crews a good springboard to recruit effectively over the next couple of years.

Excellent post!

#1 -5 exactly.

# 6, we dont know either points for sure; he might be a good recruiter in this spot compared to Army and Evansville. Or not. And the kid he recruited for next year was not sought after by good programs... not a good sign... but might turn out OK.

(and, this isn't a done deal yet... nothing announced, correct?)

I started a new topic, but I wanted to provide some clarity regarding the interview

Regarding the job...

@ about 9:00 in
Interviewer: "What can you tell us about the future with your program"
Crews: We have started talking

Interviewer: If the contract details and every that goes with it is to you liking, is it safe to say you would like to be back as head coach of the Billikens.

Crews: "Well, I think so. And the contract is .....we have talked a couple times....we haven't even discussed it yet."

I think with Skip's post, Skip was saying Skip was all in, but Crews' (while wanting the job) did not seem as enthusiastic. He probably wants the job, but it is not a lock.

I just wanted to post this for some clarity

You call it our best chance ever. I prefer our best chance so far

This is what I meant as well.

I started a new topic, but I wanted to provide some clarity regarding the interview

Regarding the job...

@ about 9:00 in

Interviewer: "What can you tell us about the future with your program"

Crews: We have started talking

Interviewer: If the contract details and every that goes with it is to you liking, is it safe to say you would like to be back as head coach of the Billikens.

Crews: "Well, I think so. And the contract is .....we have talked a couple times....we haven't even discussed it yet."

I think with Skip's post, Skip was saying Skip was all in, but Crews' (while wanting the job) did not seem as enthusiastic. He probably wants the job, but it is not a lock.

I just wanted to post this for some clarity

Agreed. While it sounds like it's going to be Crews' job, he wasn't definitive about it in the interview.

So the coach has nothing to do with arguably our best regular season ever but is to blame for us losing early in the tournament? That sounds like reasonable logic.

Also seems like people want to consider SLU a higher level program, but then also assume that recruiting will be the same here as it was at Evansville. Can't do both. Evansville might be one of the hardest places to recruit to. To me, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Losing in the round of 32 was disappointing. But being nationally ranked in the high teens, dominating and winning the A-10 regular season, and then the A-10 tournament exceeded the expectations of most on this board.

Most would also agree that Jim Crews did an excellent job this year continuing on with the system that RM had put in place, and also adding to that.

The returning nucleus for next year's team are all very familiar with that system, and Jim Crews is the best coach available to get the most out of the team; anybody else is going to want to make changes.

Crews already got a decent recruit in Crawford, and should land a couple more now that the interim tag is removed. We all should have high expectations for next year's team.

...it's after next season that worries me.

But, after taking a team to a school record 28 wins, A-10 titles, Big Dance, etc., it is unreasonable to expect any other outcome than Jim Crews as HC moving forward.

Also seems like people want to consider SLU a higher level program, but then also assume that recruiting will be the same here as it was at Evansville. Can't do both. Evansville might be one of the hardest places to recruit to. To me, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Which is why recruiting great athletes to such locations is a trait much admired in lower level coaches. If you can recruit Stephen Curry to Davidson (or whoever to wherever) you will get a better job if you are looking for one.

Breaking News...Tubby Smith or Ben Howland aint coming here. Start your whining.

Nope, more than likely not. But talking with these type of people might educate Chris May as to the possible coaches that are out there, learn more about the outsider's view of the position (and SLU, and Biondi and Chris May for that matter).

Discussing this position with people outside of the "inner circle" might be a good idea. Talking to somone who has gone to multiple final fours in teh past ten years just might help in your OWN search for a successor to Majerus, even if it isnt that guy.

if you come back to Crews as your guy...then so be it. He did a great job of minding the store this year. Lets hope he knows how to order more supplies to re-stock the shelves. Recruiting has changed a bit since he went 7and21 in his final year at Evansville in 2001/02 (I don't know if you count his time at Army, because of the recruiting issues there.)

If true, this is great news. (if true: still no source)... Frankly, these interminable threads whining about the coaching situation and suggesting names, including countless plugs for the likes of Ben Howland, have been a disgrace. I realize much of it is emotions. But I want to be one of the first to say THANKS to coach Crews for the season, and for staying on. I'll make one point: the main sticking point is always recruiting, recruiting,recruiting, I guess. I'm not nearly as worried as so many on here. Or, maybe I should say; I'm exactly as worried as I've been for 15 years. Everyone wants good recruits! But I'm pretty sure we can recruit some guys, given everything; I can't wait to hear who we sign this spring and fall! Plus: all this worry makes it sound like Majerus was bringing in lottery picks; but look at our record the past few years:One thing nobody seems to remember is this: yes, the players turned out pretty good; but recruiting was also very, very hard work for Majerus and staff; and the oaching and the lifting/ hard work in the gym turned 2 star guys into champions of the A10. I'll say this: the leader today were not exactly getting offers from Indiana and Kansas; in fact, go back and just look at the offers for guys live Evans and Jett. It might surprise you. We have been looking for a certain personality, who does well in the classroom and is willing to stay 4-5 years, work very hard to learn defense, and play as a group. There's still good guys out there like that we can get, with Crews; and turn them into defensive tough guys. Crawford, from everything I'm hearing from my sources, is EXACTLY that kind of guy--though like Evans and Jett, he may not star as a freshman.

It isn't a disgrace to suggest you would like to see someone beside Crews as the next coach. Crews is the safe choice and better than many of the names that have been brought up over the past few months. That said, there are plenty of solid reason to wonder if he really is the right guy for the job. You can start with the fact he has never built a consistent NCAA tourney program in all of his years as a head coach and he hasn't been part of building or maintaining won since he left IU 30 years ago.

Guys, you have to remember that Jim Crews isn't recruiting to the University of Evansville circa 1994 anymore. He's recruiting to Saint Louis University in the year 2013. What we have going for us as a whole and the upward direction of our program trumps anything Crews has had to use as a recruiting method in the past.

I'm excited to see him put his new car salesman blazer on and get to work.

Has anyone heard or seen some kind of explanation of the circumstances that led to Crews' firing from Army? By that I mean that there are some media reports that suggest that Crews might have been fired there due to some sort of abuse of a player. That is one thing to which I keep returning.

I don't have kids, and I was never a recruited athlete, so I can't speak to the recruitment process using a first hand account. Still, I would think that a recruit and/or their family would want to find out everything they could on a coach before they made a decision. Until several articles popped up around the internet in response to our season, if you Googled "Jim Crews", you would find at least 1 article in the first page of results discussing the possibility that Crews abused a player at Army. For those of you with children, think about what you would do if you tried to find out about a coach and your search revealed that the coach had allegations of abuse against him. Would you jump at the chance to send your child off to play for that coach?

As I see it, Crews better have one heck of an explanation that he can give to recruits and parents, should any of them have questions. Otherwise, that's a potential liability.

It isn't a disgrace to suggest you would like to see someone beside Crews as the next coach. Crews is the safe choice and better than many of the names that have been brought up over the past few months. That said, there are plenty of solid reason to wonder if he really is the right guy for the job. You can start with the fact he has never built a consistent NCAA tourney program in all of his years as a head coach and he hasn't been part of building or maintaining won since he left IU 30 years ago.

I echo your sentiments. I'm all-in with Crews if thats the choice but really disappointed in the selection and the process, which appears to be no process at all. It would have been difficult to replace him, even though long term it was the right thing to do. I never particularly liked the way his teams played at Evansville when we were in the same conference. His crisis management skills that he exhibited this year were outstanding but I just don't see how that necessarily relates to building a program. As strange as those anti-JC people clearly seem to be to the majority of the board, I truly can't comprehend how anyone would be excited about having him as HC.

Sounds to me like Crews wants the job, but only on terms he views as conducive to success. No doubt he learned from RM's experience and wants all his guarantees in writing. Recruiting budgets, assistant coaches salaries, support staff, charted flights, etc. I hope he is negotiating for all of it and drives a hard bargain.

I echo your sentiments. I'm all-in with Crews if thats the choice but really disappointed in the selection and the process, which appears to be no process at all. It would have been difficult to replace him, even though long term it was the right thing to do. I never particularly liked the way his teams played at Evansville when we were in the same conference. His crisis management skills that he exhibited this year were outstanding but I just don't see how that necessarily relates to building a program. As strange as those anti-JC people clearly seem to be to the majority of the board, I truly can't comprehend how anyone would be excited about having him as HC.

This un-scientic poll indicates that the pro-Crews camp is the majority on this board:

1. Yes (67 votes [58.77%])

bullet_star_rated.png No (47 votes [41.23%])

Has anyone heard or seen some kind of explanation of the circumstances that led to Crews' firing from Army? By that I mean that there are some media reports that suggest that Crews might have been fired there due to some sort of abuse of a player. That is one thing to which I keep returning.

I don't have kids, and I was never a recruited athlete, so I can't speak to the recruitment process using a first hand account. Still, I would think that a recruit and/or their family would want to find out everything they could on a coach before they made a decision. Until several articles popped up around the internet in response to our season, if you Googled "Jim Crews", you would find at least 1 article in the first page of results discussing the possibility that Crews abused a player at Army. For those of you with children, think about what you would do if you tried to find out about a coach and your search revealed that the coach had allegations of abuse against him. Would you jump at the chance to send your child off to play for that coach?

As I see it, Crews better have one heck of an explanation that he can give to recruits and parents, should any of them have questions. Otherwise, that's a potential liability.

i think many people get confused about that statement. As far as I know it was due to a policy in the army where you are not allowed to physically touch someone who is of a lower rank than you. I think Crews did this at a practice or something and was dismissed due to a violation of this rule. I know the details are a little fuzzy on the whole situation and there could have been abuse but I think it is unfair to assume he abused a player and he certainly didn't have any problems of physical or verbal abuse this year. I think the fact that he wasn't even asked about it once this season is telling that it was probably just due to this rule

i think many people get confused about that statement. As far as I know it was due to a policy in the army where you are not allowed to physically touch someone who is of a lower rank than you. I think Crews did this at a practice or something and was dismissed due to a violation of this rule. I know the details are a little fuzzy on the whole situation and there could have been abuse but I think it is unfair to assume he abused a player and he certainly didn't have any problems of physical or verbal abuse this year. I think the fact that he wasn't even asked about it once this season is telling that it was probably just due to this rule

This is fairly comprehensive

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Was-Army-coach-Jim-Crews-fired-for-abusing-a-pla?urn=ncaab,192153

This un-scientic poll indicates that the pro-Crews camp is the majority on this board:

1. Yes (67 votes [58.77%])

2. bullet_star_rated.png No (47 votes [41.23%])

I would have liked to have seen a "don't know/not sure" possibility on that poll. I didn't vote because I just don't know. I was ready to fire him after the Santa Clara game but then we win both the league AND the league tournament and get into the top 20. So going forward, I'm cautiously optimistic.