'Raising the Bar at Saint Louis U.'

My bad 4th time. Damn, that changes my entire perspective. Now I'm pissed and I demand better. I will no longer accept a season like this one. Had it been just our 3rd time in the last 50 years ... I'd have been ok with it. Thanks for ruining my day Roy

5th time. Yet people still want to say, "great season."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6) Make decisions on how other people should uld spend their money.

7) Jump to the worst possible conclusions for every situation yet to be decided.

8) Accept no excuses for a lack of success at SLU but advocate for retreads from top programs (UCLA, UK) that didn't achieve the level of success their demanding fan bases wanted.

Nice. + 1 to you and Rise and Grind.

My bad 4th time. Damn, that changes my entire perspective. Now I'm pissed and I demand better. I will no longer accept a season like this one. Had it been just our 3rd time in the last 50 years ... I'd have been ok with it. Thanks for ruining my day Roy

i would quit trying to show you up buddy if you would take that taken out of context quote off your signature line. :lol:

The fact that Oregon looked great had a lot to do with the fact we played like shite. We didn't exactly execute on either end of the court. We looked like the we looked the the team playing freshmen most of the game. It wasn't just Oregon having a great shooting night that led to the game being over at halftime.

The fact that Oregon looked great had a lot to do with the fact we played like shite. We didn't exactly execute on either end of the court. We looked like the we looked the the team playing freshmen most of the game. It wasn't just Oregon having a great shooting night that led to the game being over at halftime.

We went on the greatest 3 month run in school history, before playing like shite. You're right. We should have played better. We didn't. Let's keep debating this and talk about these assh0les really let us down! They played their hearts out all season. For Coach, for themselves, and for us. It WAS a great season. This is Saint Louis U. basketball, some of you need to get a grip. YES, WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXPECTED TO MAKE THE SWEET 16. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. IT SUCKS. WE'LL BE BACK NEXT YEAR.

People get really pissy when you bring up travel, and seeding, Oregon's hot hand, all that jazz. It factors in whether you want to admit it or not. The games are not played on paper. These guys aren't robots.

We went on the greatest 3 month run in school history, before playing like shite. You're right. We should have played better. We didn't. Let's keep debating this and talk about these assh0les really let us down! They played their hearts out all season. For Coach, for themselves, and for us. It WAS a great season. This is Saint Louis U. basketball, some of you need to get a grip. YES, WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXPECTED TO MAKE THE SWEET 16. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. IT SUCKS. WE'LL BE BACK NEXT YEAR. People get really pissy when you bring up travel, and seeding, Oregon's hot hand, all that jazz. It factors in whether you want to admit it or not. The games are not played on paper. These guys aren't robots.

It was a great season. The last game doesn't take away from it.

5th? I thought Roy just named the years we won a game.

1. 2nd Clags/Highmark tourney

2. Larry

3. Last year

4. This year

I understood this to mean times we've made the tournament as this is what many posters seemed to be content with.

Alright.. we got beat. By a team that played the best game of their season Totally agree. So what are we arguing then? I'm giving a lot of the credit where credit is due.. to the Oregon Ducks. They played a helluva game.

We aren't arguing now, if you're telling me we got beat and we aren't blaming the travel and the seeding.

We both want the same thing here. I want us to win in the tournament and I'm quite sure you do too. If you asked anyone at the beginning of this season what the "next step" was, I'm pretty sure they would have said "sweet sixteen." I don't think that means this season wasn't a success. I do expect more from our program now and I do want the players and the coaching staff to hold themselves accountable for what was a loss, not a scheduling mishap or unfortunate travel.

We shouldn't be measured by the bar of Mizzery. We should establish our own bar. I do think the U of O game was an anomaly. Especially when you look at the 3pt shooting pernetages of both teams entereing the game. Still, we didn't pull it off. And further still we shouldn't use the excuse UofO was an awful misseed. The NCAA touney is what it is. If we were that much better we would have beat them. But we weren't. Especially on 3s. I agree w/ this article. I just wish the Admin would agree as well.

YES, WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXPECTED TO MAKE THE SWEET 16. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. IT SUCKS. WE'LL BE BACK NEXT YEAR.

I certainly hope so but it seems pretty obvious that our chances of making a deep run in the tournament were greater this year than they will be next year.

It was a great season. The last game doesn't take away from it.

This is exactly why the bar needs to be raised. Gonzaga fans aren't saying, "we won two conference titles so despite losing in the round of 32, it was a great season." No, they have higher expectations.

I understood this to mean times we've made the tournament as this is what many posters seemed to be content with.

How would you take being content with what we did this year with being content with making the tourney. We didn't just make the tourney this year, we won a game

This is exactly why the bar needs to be raised. Gonzaga fans aren't saying, "we won two conference titles so despite losing in the round of 32, it was a great season." No, they have higher expectations.

Exactly. If we offered LaSalle a chance to switch places with us right now, would they take it? They beat Wichita State on Thursday and they are going to the Elite Eight. LaSalle. Who I suppose didn't care that they had to play in KC as opposed to the Philadelphia site in their back yard.

I do not think diehard fans are satisfied with the ending of the season. This was a loss to granted a good team, winners of the Pac-12 conference, but we did not play well. So that stings.

I it is disappointing that we did not advance past the first weekend. However, I am not arranging a firing squad. I would also say that the tournament is a crap shoot. I pat the players on the back and high five for the conference cahmpionship, and conference tourney, not many teams wine both. However, I expect a better NCAA tournament appearance next year. They all have to get better including the coaches.

We aren't arguing now, if you're telling me we got beat and we aren't blaming the travel and the seeding.

We both want the same thing here. I want us to win in the tournament and I'm quite sure you do too. If you asked anyone at the beginning of this season what the "next step" was, I'm pretty sure they would have said "sweet sixteen." I don't think that means this season wasn't a success. I do expect more from our program now and I do want the players and the coaching staff to hold themselves accountable for what was a loss, not a scheduling mishap or unfortunate travel.

I do not think diehard fans are satisfied with the ending of the season. This was a loss to granted a good team, winners of the Pac-12 conference, but we did not play well. So that stings.

I it is disappointing that we did not advance past the first weekend. However, I am not arranging a firing squad. I would also say that the tournament is a crap shoot. I pat the players on the back and high five for the conference cahmpionship, and conference tourney, not many teams wine both. However, I expect a better NCAA tournament appearance next year. They all have to get better including the coaches.

Do not start with "die hards think this" "casual fans think this" -- the whole point is that no one should be telling other people how to feel right now. Especially Mizzou-SLU "combo fans" who want me to be angry or upset while comparing our loss to Oregon to Mizzou's loss to Norfolk St. last season. That's not happening. IF we were going to go there I would argue the opposite, that the casual fans who finally realized what a special season this was, hopped along for the ride during the A-10 tournament, started talking up SLU to everyone they knew all of a sudden, and then got pissy once we got trampled by Oregon, and they felt embarrassed (Wtf?!? Everyone said we were supposed to make the S16??! I didn't sign up for this!). Again.. this is March, this is the dance.. it happens.

The players know they are accountable for the loss, so does the coaching staff I would imagine. Here, look, this is how I've felt for the past couple of days.. and I guarantee you everyone associated with this team feels 100x worse:

Also, my gripe with the tournament committee, and being sent to San Jose, stems from the fact that many of us knew that if we got upset in the second round, we would never get to see this team play again, in person. As a 4-seed, we deserved the opportunity to cheer for our guys in the dance. Every other single location would have been easier for our fans to get to. And that pisses me off.

Ya know, I'm thinking maybe some of y'all should go re-read the Season Record thread that I bumped recently. Based on the predictions of the die-hard fan base, it's hard to argue that we underperformed this year.

We had one crappy game at the end. It happens. (To a whole lot of teams that make the tournament.)

Conference champs. Conference tourney champs. Top 15 end-of-season ranking. Most wins in school history.

Raise what bar?

I agree. You're talking about a team that played beyond it's talent level and won championships not seen at SLU in many decades. If you paid attention, you saw a team that was struggling to shoot as the season wore on. This team hopped on Evan's strong shoulders and went as far as they could until a really good coach, Altman, said we're not letting Evans beat us.

The bar has to be gradually raised as the profile of the program improves and top recruits show an interest. Until then, it'll remain a program of guys who are either 2" too short or need to jump 2" higher, in other words, tweeners and late bloomers.

I certainly hope so but it seems pretty obvious that our chances of making a deep run in the tournament were greater this year than they will be next year.

Jesus. We are building towards Gonzaga-esque status. We accomplished a whole hell of a lot towards that goal. No one is happy that SLU lost. The only difference between you and I is that I'm not attacking everyone under the sun for something I can't control. If you can't see the progress that's been made in the past two years I suggest you open up the history book on SLU basketball.

Give it a rest.

Also, my gripe with the tournament committee, and being sent to San Jose, stems from the fact that many of us knew that if we got upset in the second round, we would never get to see this team play again, in person. As a 4-seed, we deserved the opportunity to cheer for our guys in the dance. Every other single location would have been easier for our fans to get to. And that pisses me off.

I think you hit it out of the park here.

Jesus. We are building towards Gonzaga-esque status. We accomplished a whole hell of a lot towards that goal. No one is happy that SLU lost. The only difference between you and I is that I'm not attacking everyone under the sun for something I can't control. If you can't see the progress that's been made in the past two years I suggest you open up the history book on SLU basketball.

Give it a ###### rest.

Good post. At this point, there are dead horses laying all around that just keep on taking beatings.

Find out where Mike Bobinski lives and I'll buy the gasoline, shovels, etc. zip him up.

I know my wife agrees with you 100%. She has become a pretty big fan of the team these past couple of yearss and was damn near heartbroken when San Jose was announced on Selection Sunday. We knew that was the only spot that we wouldn't be able to travel to. It was highly disappointing.