Need A New Face for Billiken Head Job

aj_arete

Blaming the committee is such a cop-out. That is a game we should have won, instead we got blown-out. Blame goes to the head coach.

Shut up. You're entitled to your opinion but your reasons behind it is flat out stupid.

I don't blame Jim Crews for the loss to Oregon. At the same time, does Jim crews out coach his opponents? I say no. Did our guys play better than expected this season? Again, I say no.

If you expected this team to go on the run they did from Jan. 24-March 22 .... you're kidding yourself. They let us down once in 3 months, and trampled everyone else.

Shut up. You're entitled to your opinion but your reasons behind it is flat out stupid.

What reasons IS stupid?

If you expected this team to go on the run they did from Jan. 24-March 22 .... you're kidding yourself. They let us down once in 3 months, and trampled everyone else.

Perhaps he wasn't expecting losing at home to Santa Clara and Rhode Island. Fact is, they had to go on the run they did to be put in the position they were in.

At this point, AMDG is just revelling in and embracing the negative attention he is getting for being a sh!t stirrer. He's probably thinking it is better to get noticed for being an offensive a$$hole than being stuck in the background with nobody paying attention to him.

Shut up...reasons behind it is flat out stupid.

...AMDG is just...being a sh!t stirrer...being an offensive a$$hole

All because I have said that Chris May failed us because we have been left out of the NBE and Crews let us get embarrassed last night and shouldn't be given the permanent HC job. Get over your soft asss feelings people. I want to win.

If you want to isolate the season to that stretch from Jan. 24-March 22, I'll admit that after the loss to Rhode Island, I probably didn't expect the finish we would have, but I don't think the overall season results were unforeseen. Last year we finished 2nd in the A-10, made the Second Round (ok officially Third Round) of the NCAA Tournament. We returned a significant portion of our roster and scoring. I don't think it was unreasonable to think that we had a legitimate shot to win the A-10 and make out way into the national rankings. I honestly think that if you told fans who follow this team closely back in September or October that SLU would finish with the record they did, win the A-10 regular season and tournament, and also make an appearance in the national rankings, they would be happy, but not shocked.

Obviously, Majerus' death added an emotional wild card, and no one knew how the team would respond, but I still think that the overall result of this season terribly different to what we thought was possible.

I think the best thing to do is for both pro-Crews and anti-Crews camps is to just shut up, quit speculating and let the chips fall where they may. You don't have to like Jim Crews, love Jim Crews or hate Jim Crews, but if you're a basketball fan or have an iota of respect for the human condition, you have to respect the out of Jim Crews for what he did with our Saint Louis Billikens this year. He wasn't just in charge of 15 fragile hearts that comprise a college basketball roster; hearts that were broken upon the passage of Coach Rick Majerus - he was given the burden of all of our hearts. Every single one of us that has ever put on a Billiken shirt and cheered our hearts out for our guys. Coach Crews didn't ask for this; but like all of us, he knows that it's more than just a game these kids are playing.

We aren't making the decisions here, and thank God for that. Let's just cool the down and let our officials make the calls. Right or wrong, you have to tip your cap to Coach Jim Crews. Win or lose, he'll be a Son of Saint Louis University forever, and I don't give a what you think of that.

I think the best thing to do is for both pro-Crews and anti-Crews camps is to just shut up, quit speculating and let the chips fall where they may. You don't have to like Jim Crews, love Jim Crews or hate Jim Crews, but if you're a basketball fan or have an iota of respect for the human condition, you have to respect the ###### out of Jim Crews for what he did with our Saint Louis Billikens this year. He wasn't just in charge of 15 fragile hearts that comprise a college basketball roster; hearts that were broken upon the passage of Coach Rick Majerus - he was given the burden of all of our hearts. Every single one of us that has ever put on a Billiken shirt and cheered our hearts out for our guys. Coach Crews didn't ask for this; but like all of us, he knows that it's more than just a game these kids are playing.

We aren't making the decisions here, and thank God for that. Let's just cool the ###### down and let our officials make the calls. Right or wrong, you have to tip your cap to Coach Jim Crews. Win or lose, he'll be a Son of Saint Louis University forever, and I don't give a ###### what you think of that.

This isn't about liking, loving, or hating anybody. People are making this personal. This is about putting our best program in the best possible position to win a championship.

You know sh!t has gone off the deep end on this board when Metz in trying to be the voice of reason. ;)

+1

You know sh!t has gone off the deep end on this board when Metz in trying to be the voice of reason. ;)

hahaha, I'll give you that, bizzle ;) how you holding up? I just think we need to just go through the grieving process and chill a bit...

This isn't about liking, loving, or hating anybody. People are making this personal. This is about putting our best program in the best possible position to win a championship.

People are making it personal because being a fan of your alma mater is more than dollars and sense.

Mojo. Not following you. We were preseason Top 10. We returned the whole team but for BC and KC (who turned into a role player). We were mostly Jrs and Srs. We had a great season last year, finished 2nd in A10, made the Tourney and won our first game and nearly upset #1 Michigan State. This year, we put forth a regular season record of 23 and 6. We had surprising losses to Santa Clara and Rhode Island but then had surprising road conference wins including the big win at Butler. We had disappointing losses at Washington and Temple but then won the A10 Tourney. IMO, our team performed well -- best season since I began following the team since Grawer's hire. At the same time, this was supposed to be the best season in year. Huge credit goes to the Jim Crews!! At the same time, he met expectations -- he didn't exceed them.

Mojo. Not following you. We were preseason Top 10. We returned the whole team but for BC and KC (who turned into a role player). We were mostly Jrs and Srs. We had a great season last year, finished 2nd in A10, made the Tourney and won our first game and nearly upset #1 Michigan State. This year, we put forth a regular season record of 23 and 6. We had surprising losses to Santa Clara and Rhode Island but then had surprising road conference wins including the big win at Butler. We had disappointing losses at Washington and Temple but then won the A10 Tourney. IMO, our team performed well -- best season since I began following the team since Grawer's hire. At the same time, this was supposed to be the best season in year. Huge credit goes to the Jim Crews!! At the same time, he met expectations -- he didn't exceed them.

A reasonable expectation should be sweet 16. Don't forget some people even predict us to be a final four.

We were preseason Top 10 because that Lindy's preview was probably written a while before the Majerus news was released (and before Kwamain broke his foot). The the Santa Clara and Washington losses were disappointing at the time, but now seem inevitable as Crews and the team were trying to mesh together (and again, without Kwamain). I'm in the boat that the Rhode Island game was as big a fluke as it gets.. #5 for them hit no less than 3 fade-away 3 pointers, they also could not miss. After that though, (and including New Mexico) every single big game we were in... we dominated. Butler at home, VCU at home, at Butler, the A-10 tournament. I hoped to win most of those by a point or two. We rolled. I've never been more psyched after games aside from the tournament win over Memphis last year.

You said they didn't play better than you expected this year. I'm just saying they exceeded my expectations almost every time out. That's why we were all so jacked for this tournament. I too thought at the beginning of the year, that the Sweet 16 was a reasonable goal. And I think we were in every position to achieve that goal until the game tipped last night. It was a massacre. There was no stopping it.

Also, this has no bearing on whether I think Crews should be back next year. I'm in the camp that looks to move on to a new HC, if we can get the right guy.

To be fair, Villanova lost to Gtown twice in 1985, had gone 11-8 in conference play, was an 8 seed and then shot 78% from the floor stunning the 10 point favorite Hoyas. It happens. It happened to us w Oregon. it happened again with Gtown this year. It happens every year in the Tourney. We ran into a hot shooting perimeter team which had not been known for its outside shooting. I was more surprised with our poor shooting and our offense.. In short, it was a bad combination.

All because I have said that Chris May failed us because we have been left out of the NBE

so what specifically did may do or not do to keep us out of the new big east? i know chris may and i am convinced that chris may did his part in the hopes of making the move however the needed juice to make that happen was not in his grasp.

the man for saint louis university that had the power to call in high level favors and exert the needed pressure to draw an invite was the good father. the man in control of the purse strings to promise the needed dollars for exit fees and such. while i have defended him time and time again, biondi gets 100% of the blame if there is someone to blame.

chris may is not the scapegoat you want him to be. chris has been the best athletic director in my 35+ years of being a billiken. no way i throw him under the bus without more definitive proof which you dont have.

• 6 years later...
On 3/24/2013 at 9:47 PM, Clock_Tower said:

+1

We can certainly do worse than Crews. Not retreating on my earlier posts but I'd take Crews over any no name assistant. Also, I'd take Crews for a 2 year hire but, as stated. We need a home run and not a safe single.

+5