Need A New Face for Billiken Head Job

aj_arete

I would pass on naming Jim Crews as the head coach. If he is having any reservations about taking on this job, then he shouldn't take it. Winning in today's game takes extreme amounts of energy and passion. In fact, it's going to be hard to top this year's performance. He was masterful in taking the reins from Majerus and was a steady presence that allowed the team to excel. However, look at the coaching staff. There's one young guy surrounded by grizzled veterans that might know the game, but do they have the energy to recruit at a high level?

Given SLU's tough academic requirements, relatively limited resources, and lack of consistent brand, the next coach should be focused on high intellect and excellent teaching skills. They also need to have a keen eye for talent where they can unlock the hidden gems that go overlooked by the big powers. In other words, they need to find another Rick Majerus, but one with a more politically astute manner.

Of course, there are very few Majeruses out there, so that will be tough. However, that's the profile that I would go after. I think going after a "recruiter", who will not be allowed to stretch the rules, will be a bad fit at SLU. Now who that coach could be, I have no idea, but that's the direction I would go.

I don't see a Rick Majerus in today's coaching landscape. He was unique. But surprise me, who's out there that could possibly be another RM? We're better off looking for a Brad Steven/ Shaka Smart type.

The hard part is figuring out who that is. Every other school out there is trying to get a Brad Stevens/Shaka Smart type as well.

I don't see a Rick Majerus in today's coaching landscape. He was unique. But surprise me, who's out there that could possibly be another RM? We're better off looking for a Brad Steven/ Shaka Smart type.

I'm more into the economy now and don't study sports as much as I used to. That's why you don't see me on here that much. However, I would start with staff members on either Brad Stevens and Mark Few. Then I'd look at mid-majors and check out coaches where their players show consistent improvement over the years. That shows me that they are good teachers.

Not to be a smart ass, but were you expecting Majerus to be hired when he was? Point is that those completely unanticipated guys are always out there, but, by definition, we don't expect them for whatever reason. Consequently, none of us "see" a Rick Majerus in today's coaching landscape, but that doesn't mean he isn't there. Make sense?

I don't wish him any harm, I just don't want him to be our coach after he squandered our best chance at a sweet 16 in history. I've posted it all before, but basically, we were completely ill-prepared for the game last night. Combine that with the fact that he doesn't want to recruit and his lack of success in the past, I think it would be a disaster for our program for him to be named permanent head coach.

I don't wish him any harm, I just don't want him to be our coach after he squandered our best chance at a sweet 16 in history. I've posted it all before, but basically, we were completely ill-prepared for the game last night. Combine that with the fact that he doesn't want to recruit and his lack of success in the past, I think it would be a disaster for our program for him to be named permanent head coach.

He squandered it? You must've been watching a different game than me. Our repeated misses on open 3's had nothing to do with the loss? Or their ability to hit nearly every shot? We ran into a buzz saw last night. It didn't help that we couldn't buy a shot.

I don't believe that we win last night with Majerus or any other coach. Maybe I'm in the minority but it was just one of those nights in my opinion.

This board continues to put the ass in class. Like him or hate him you've got to respect what he did this season.

+1

We can certainly do worse than Crews. Not retreating on my earlier posts but I'd take Crews over any no name assistant. Also, I'd take Crews for a 2 year hire but, as stated. We need a home run and not a safe single.

He squandered it? You must've been watching a different game than me. Our repeated misses on open 3's had nothing to do with the loss? Or their ability to hit nearly every shot? We ran into a buzz saw last night. It didn't help that we couldn't buy a shot.

Bad game plan, no adjustments. Doesn't want to recruit, almost 60 years old, no past success. Give me a reason why he should be retained.

This board continues to put the ass in class. Like him or hate him you've got to respect what he did this season.

I did. Season is over. Time to move on.

Bad game plan, no adjustments. Doesn't want to recruit, almost 60 years old, no past success. Give me a reason why he should be retained.

All I did is respond to your statement that our loss was Jim Crews fault, which I simply don't believe.

Buzz saw is the right way to phrase it. We caught Pedro Martinez out of the bullpen, Lebron in Game 6, etc., etc.

The game was over by halftime. We were screwed by the committee a lot more than we were screwed by anything Crews did or didn't do.

Maybe they have come to an agreement that Jim steers the ship for 2-3 years but grooms a successor? Or maybe Jim has taken the job.... shock and awe!

Who would that successor be? I doubt we have anyone of decent caliber that is willing to sit on the bench next to Crews for 2-3 years waiting to take over. But then again, maybe I am wrong.

JC could have accepted the job...maybe that is what they mean, but my gut is telling me otherwise.

We hire someone on the caliber of Howland, the NBE knows we are serious about this program. They will be calling our name for #11. We have Crews to a 2 year contract... might as well keep the interim tag on him and tell the NBE we are looking to go cheap and are not serious.

Go all in with Crews and give him a real contract if that is who we feel will get us to the next level, or more on now.

Buzz saw is the right way to phrase it. We caught Pedro Martinez out of the bullpen, Lebron in Game 6, etc., etc.

The game was over by halftime. We were screwed by the committee a lot more than we were screwed by anything Crews did or didn't do.

Blaming the committee is such a cop-out. That is a game we should have won, instead we got blown-out. Blame goes to the head coach.