Midwest = Terrible Draw

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-not sure this is addressed other places as catching up on the board, but I will mention it here and that is the 'pod' system

-I understand the NCAA's reasons of reducing travel for some and getting more butts in the seats, but it is a very flawed system, imo

-some teams get a great benefit (see Mich and MSU, KSU and KU) and some teams get a ton of travel (see Syr, Miami), granted, you need to win the games but for some teams to essentially have home games and some teams of the same seeding to not have the same advantage is an issue for me

-being good and near a site can be a nice advantage, being good and getting shipped can be a disadvantage

Apparently, the Selection Committee doesn't use the S-curve anymore, so this type of placement isn't supposed to occur...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9064725/ncaa-tournament-2013-committee-chair-thinks-best-tournament-ever

"The committee no longer uses the s-curve, so Duke wasn't the worst No. 2 in being placed in Louisville's bracket as the top No. 1."

Well if you believe that then I got a bridge to sell you.

We looked terrible against zones when RM was on the sideline.

If the Bills hit 10-21 from 3 instead of 3-21 and Oregon goes 3-9 instead of 7-9 the game plan looks pretty good.

Execution of the game plan.is a lot more important than.the game plan itself.

If we had gone 10 -21 from the 3 then the zone would have been dumped early on. The point is there is two ways to bust a zone - hit from the perimeter or drive the lane - we did neither very effectively hence the end result.

-not sure this is addressed other places as catching up on the board, but I will mention it here and that is the 'pod' system

-I understand the NCAA's reasons of reducing travel for some and getting more butts in the seats, but it is a very flawed system, imo

-some teams get a great benefit (see Mich and MSU, KSU and KU) and some teams get a ton of travel (see Syr, Miami), granted, you need to win the games but for some teams to essentially have home games and some teams of the same seeding to not have the same advantage is an issue for me

-being good and near a site can be a nice advantage, being good and getting shipped can be a disadvantage

THANK YOU!!!!! - I have said the same thing - how do you justify sending MI and MIst to Auburn Hills and Louisville to Lexington but we get sent to San Jose. Even MO got sent to Lexington. How about KU to KC - that is a home game for them. Sorry, if they think their pod system is fair they are nuts.

If we had gone 10 -21 from the 3 then the zone would have been dumped early on. The point is there is two ways to bust a zone - hit from the perimeter or drive the lane - we did neither very effectively hence the end result.

16:01 2-7

Jordair Jett made Layup. Assisted by Kwamain Mitchell.

11:02 14-13 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup.

Halftime

14:31 42-28

Mike McCall Jr. missed Layup.

13:37 44-31 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup. 10:19 48-37 Jordair Jett made Layup. 9:04 53-37 Jordair Jett missed Layup. 6:09 63-41 Jordair Jett made Layup. 2:38 69-51 Jake Barnett made Layup. 1:53 69-55 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup.

Actually, we were pretty successful driving the lane. The problem was, we only attempted it twice in the first half. By that time, we down 16. Our staff should have recognized that our jump shots were not falling and we needed to drive the lane. Adjustment not made, game out of hand by halftime.

Well if you believe that then I got a bridge to sell you.

It's simple. They don't use the S-curve anymore. That's why Duke (the best #2) was put in Louisville's (Top overall seed) bracket and Florida was put in Kansas's bracket...placement is largely based on an analytical and logistical basis now...Don't get me wrong, I think it's all still BS

Drive the lane to beat a zone? I hope we get to play against the zone that allows that alot.

Drive the lane to beat a zone? I hope we get to play against the zone that allows that alot.

It would appear that we did, yet gave up on it in order to take jump shots. See above post.

Halftime

13:37 44-31 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup.10:19 48-37 Jordair Jett made Layup.9:04 53-37 Jordair Jett missed Layup.6:09 63-41 Jordair Jett made Layup.2:38 69-51 Jake Barnett made Layup.1:53 69-55 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup.

Actually, we were pretty successful driving the lane. The problem was, we only attempted it twice in the first half. By that time, we down 16. Our staff should have recognized that our jump shots were not falling and we needed to drive the lane. Adjustment not made, game out of hand by halftime.

We didn't drive the lane often against the zone ... uhhh, becauseit was a zone. You want to beat a zone, move the ball, move it quickly, attack the back door and the weak spot or slow rotation.

It would appear that we did, yet gave up on it in order to take jump shots. See above post.

7 attempts off the drive in a half and 2 of those in basically garbage time? You call that working? And.. we missed 2 of the 5 in the first 18 minutes of the 2nd half.

We didn't drive the lane often against the zone ... uhhh, becauseit was a zone. You want to beat a zone, move the ball, move it quickly, attack the back door and the weak spot or slow rotation.

Absolutely. To beat a zone we needed to have exceptional spacing in order to stretch the D, crisp quick passes, and we needed to attack the gaps on their rotations. We tried to shoot our way out of it instead. Crews even acknowledged this point.

Are you saying that our three guards aren't fast enough to penetrate the gaps in their zone? Put the shooting guard behind the zone to shot fake and drive for a layup or drive and find DE for an open layup. But Crews was content to just let them take jump shots.

Are you saying that our three guards aren't fast enough to penetrate the gaps in their zone? Put the shooting guard behind the zone to shot fake and drive for a layup or drive and find DE for an open layup. But Crews was content to just let them take jump shots.

Multiple times our guards tried to penetrate the gapes and ended up either turning the ball over or getting bailed out on weak foul calls. Their zone was collapsing on us when we would penetrate. You're trying to blame Crews for things that simply can't be attributed to him and aren't true.

Regardless of whose fault it is (who knows what Crews told the guys), we tried to shoot our way out of the deficit. That, coupled with failed dribble drives into the heart of the zone, was not conducive to a comeback. Our spacing was inadequate, our weakside passing was inadequate. In my opinion, one party is not wholly responsible for this defeat but rather a variety of factors contributed to the loss...

Halftime

13:37 44-31 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup.10:19 48-37 Jordair Jett made Layup.9:04 53-37 Jordair Jett missed Layup.6:09 63-41 Jordair Jett made Layup.2:38 69-51 Jake Barnett made Layup.1:53 69-55 Kwamain Mitchell made Layup.

I never said we never drove the lane - my point was that if we had done it effectively they would have gotten out of the zone. The examples you gave are fine but they were too little too late - during the big run Oregon made we did not drive the lane effectively or shoot effectively.

Regardless of whose fault it is (who knows what Crews told the guys), we tried to shoot our way out of the deficit. That, coupled with failed dribble drives into the heart of the zone, was not conducive to a comeback. Our spacing was inadequate, our weakside passing was inadequate. In my opinion, one party is not wholly responsible for this defeat but rather a variety of factors contributed to the loss...

I can agree with this.

Multiple times our guards tried to penetrate the gapes and ended up either turning the ball over or getting bailed out on weak foul calls. Their zone was collapsing on us when we would penetrate. You're trying to blame Crews for things that simply can't be attributed to him and aren't true.

He just has higher expectations

For a little perspective

In the last 3 years 25 teams have played on Sunday and made the tourney. Only 9 have been asked to play on Thursday.

Out of the 9, 5 were 5 seeds or better including us this year. The other 4 were placed close to home with Vandy going to New Mex from the SEC tourney in New Orleans which is under 1200 miles as the next closest

In the last 3 years 18 teams seeded 5 or better have played on Sunday only 5 were asked to play again on Thursday including us this year. We traveled 3000 miles from our game site on Sunday, again the next closest was less than 1200 miles. The other 4 were relatively close 850 miles or less.

The next closest for any of the 9 teams playing on Sunday and Thursday was about 1700 miles, not much over half of the distance we traveled and that was a 12 seed.

If the travel is of no or very little consequence why don't they make teams do it more often?

For a little perspective

In the last 3 years 25 teams have played on Sunday and made the tourney. Only 9 have been asked to play on Thursday.

Out of the 9, 5 were 5 seeds or better including us this year. The other 4 were placed close to home with Vandy going to New Mex from the SEC tourney in New Orleans which is under 1200 miles as the next closest

In the last 3 years 18 teams seeded 5 or better have played on Sunday only 5 were asked to play again on Thursday including us this year. We traveled 3000 miles from our game site on Sunday, again the next closest was less than 1200 miles. The other 4 were relatively close 850 miles or less.

The next closest for any of the 9 teams playing on Sunday and Thursday was about 1700 miles, not much over half of the distance we traveled and that was a 12 seed.

If the travel is of no or very little consequence why don't they make teams do it more often?

man, that is some tough analysis. we lost and we lost convincingly, but man, FUOK the committee for that.

Money. They can't put as many fans in the seats if teams are playing far from home. That is why both Mich & Mich. State were playing in Auburn Hills and Kansas and Kansas State were playing in Kansas City.