HC

Schasz

I hold the head coach responsible for everything. So I would look at the season in totality not the results of one game. We can even look at the results in the big games we played: vs. top 25, clinching regular season, conference tournament. In all but two of those games KU and UO we won and normally won big. Now Crews was pushing the right buttons and the team performed. The last game we came out flat and it didn't change. You want to blame the coach for the defense? The defense in the second half picked up and we turned them over quite a bit and created opportunities for the offense. The shots didn't fall. DE missed a few in the paint the 3s didn't fall even when they were wide open. He didn't have any magic to make that change. We lost to the PAC 12 champions with the nations leading rebounder and some other very good players. It was ugly and it was a heart-breaker for a team that we all believed to be a team of destiny.

Can Crews recruit to SLU and can he develop that talent are the only questions I have. Because I can see from this season that he can most certainly prepare the team for a game and can most certainly match up against the biggest name young coaches in the game and beat them (Shaka, Stevens). In a season where he is very limited on recruiting he signed a finalist for Indiana Mr. Basketball. The kids was under the radar but seems to be a Majerus type player gym rat with high BB IQ and GPA.

I want SLU to win as much or more than anyone else. SLU has only been to the NCAA twice in 12 years and only won 2 games. I just don't see how we can not retain a coach that is a Coach of the Year Finalist, led us to the top 25, won the regular season, won the conference tournament, and tied for the most wins in the tourney.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a year. Thank you, Jim Crews. Please come back and keep this locomotive running. Yes, we do need a few more athletes. But a new coach will scrap all or most of the Majerus system and start from scratch; while we still have the great guys coming back to act as assistant coaches -- please come back to lead it.

I wanted to highlight this part here, because it reminded me of something I heard during the broadcast yesterday. One of the announcers said they asked Dana Altman if what he saw of SLU on tape was systematically reminiscent to what he had seen from Jim Crews-coached teams going back to their times coaching in the MVC. Altman said that it wasn't. I don't recall what they said Crews normally used for his system at Evansville, but whatever it was wasn't like what Altman saw on tape of SLU.

Regardless of who our coach is next season, the fact is that in the next 2 years, at least half of our roster will have to be taught a new system, whether that is teaching new players the Majerus system, or teaching every player the system Crews or any other coach wants to implement of their own. I always thought Crews' comments throughout the season that he was letting the players teach him due to their familiarity with Majerus' system were just him deflecting the praise away from him, but maybe there is some validity to it.

Finally, a huge key to the Majerus system was Rick Majerus. The guy was a basketball genius. I question if his system directed by anyone else over the course of a few years would be as effective as if he ran it.

I hold the head coach responsible for everything. So I would look at the season in totality not the results of one game. We can even look at the results in the big games we played: vs. top 25, clinching regular season, conference tournament. In all but two of those games KU and UO we won and normally won big. Now Crews was pushing the right buttons and the team performed. The last game we came out flat and it didn't change. You want to blame the coach for the defense? The defense in the second half picked up and we turned them over quite a bit and created opportunities for the offense. The shots didn't fall. DE missed a few in the paint the 3s didn't fall even when they were wide open. He didn't have any magic to make that change. We lost to the PAC 12 champions with the nations leading rebounder and some other very good players. It was ugly and it was a heart-breaker for a team that we all believed to be a team of destiny.

Can Crews recruit to SLU and can he develop that talent are the only questions I have. Because I can see from this season that he can most certainly prepare the team for a game and can most certainly match up against the biggest name young coaches in the game and beat them (Shaka, Stevens). In a season where he is very limited on recruiting he signed a finalist for Indiana Mr. Basketball. The kids was under the radar but seems to be a Majerus type player gym rat with high BB IQ and GPA.

I want SLU to win as much or more than anyone else. SLU has only been to the NCAA twice in 12 years and only won 2 games. I just don't see how we can not retain a coach that is a Coach of the Year Finalist, led us to the top 25, won the regular season, won the conference tournament, and tied for the most wins in the tourney.

Is coach responsible for everything? Sure not. We had a shooting nightmare. I think we failed to adjust in both ends in the first half when we started losing big.

His recruiting and talent development are questionable. I think he is a perfect assistant coach.

Reports are that Ben Howland is being canned at UCLA.

Did anybody read the article in SI last year? Guy can't win at UCLA and brings embarrassment and shame to his program. Anybody that wants him here has a screw loose.

Did anybody read the article in SI last year? Guy can't win at UCLA and brings embarrassment and shame to his program. Anybody that wants him here has a screw loose.

Inmates ran the asylum. Several times. Howland can recruit, but can he coach them?

YOUR POSTS TONIGHT AFTER A WONDERFUL SEASON ARE A PATHETIC JOKE. CREWS DID A GREAT JOB WITH THIS TEAM UNDER DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES. ANY TEAM CAN HAVE AN OFF SHOOTING NIGHT WHILE ANOTHER TEAM SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT AND THAT IS THE RECIPE FOR AN UPSET. I WILL NEVER, EVER UNDERSTAND THE RIDICULOUS NEGATIVITY BY SOME ON THIS BOARD. WE JUST FINISHED THE BEST SEASON IN THE HISTORY OF THE PROGRAM WITH THE MOST WINS AND THE MOST WINS OVER RANKED OPPONENTS. WE WERE RANKED 13TH IN THE FINAL REGULAR SEASON POLL EVEN THOUGH WE PLAYED HALF THE SEASON WITHOUT OUR SENIOR POINT GUARD. GIVE US ALL A BREAK AND SHUT DOWN THE STUPID SIGNATURE!

+100

But why they shot 8/11 threes? Is it just because they were hot last night?

I hate his avatar thing, that is a joke, but anything else else he said does make sense.

Yes.

They were HOT. Many of the 3's were from NBA++ range, you cannot cover that effectively.

And we were NOT, many of ours were from very deep, too. We were not "covered" any better than we "covered" them on the 3's.

Just one of those things.

If you go out that far around the screen, the little guard blows by you and takes it to the hoop, dishes it to one of their bigs. Routine.

BOTH coaches chose not to chase the guard around the screen and their guards hit the shot like goddam Downtown Freddie Brown. Ours did not (KM, MM, CE, RL uncontested).

Just a bad night.We started 0-10, they started 4-6. Post game,announcers were joking that they do not think Oregon could hit 8-11 in practice, ever.

If we both hit 30-35-38%%, give or take, the game is tied.

It was not an issue with the game plan. What game plan do you suggest? We chase their guard 10 feet out from the "3" line around the screen? Explain.

(It was one of those things... I know a guy, never hit a home run his whole life, hit TWO home runs in one game. Then never hit another one the rest of his life. True story.)

YOUR POSTS TONIGHT AFTER A WONDERFUL SEASON ARE A PATHETIC JOKE. CREWS DID A GREAT JOB WITH THIS TEAM UNDER DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES. ANY TEAM CAN HAVE AN OFF SHOOTING NIGHT WHILE ANOTHER TEAM SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT AND THAT IS THE RECIPE FOR AN UPSET. I WILL NEVER, EVER UNDERSTAND THE RIDICULOUS NEGATIVITY BY SOME ON THIS BOARD. WE JUST FINISHED THE BEST SEASON IN THE HISTORY OF THE PROGRAM WITH THE MOST WINS AND THE MOST WINS OVER RANKED OPPONENTS. WE WERE RANKED 13TH IN THE FINAL REGULAR SEASON POLL EVEN THOUGH WE PLAYED HALF THE SEASON WITHOUT OUR SENIOR POINT GUARD. GIVE US ALL A BREAK AND SHUT DOWN THE STUPID SIGNATURE!

We just had the best season in program history, but it still ended where several other of our seasons have before. Jim Crews did a fantastic job with Rick Majerus's team this year under difficult circumstances, yes. I think we all agree on that. But Rick Majerus is dead, now, and Jim Crews cannot sustain Rick Majerus's level of success once Majerus's team has all graduated. It doesn't matter how much kool-aid you chug, or how many roses you piss out, or how many angry all-caps posts you make. It's just the way it is.

I agree his avatar is wanting for some class, but the basic sentiment is spot-on. We need to do better than Crews, unless you're okay with a half-full Chaifetz Arena for the next decade or so.

I wanted to highlight this part here, because it reminded me of something I heard during the broadcast yesterday. One of the announcers said they asked Dana Altman if what he saw of SLU on tape was systematically reminiscent to what he had seen from Jim Crews-coached teams going back to their times coaching in the MVC. Altman said that it wasn't. I don't recall what they said Crews normally used for his system at Evansville, but whatever it was wasn't like what Altman saw on tape of SLU.

Regardless of who our coach is next season, the fact is that in the next 2 years, at least half of our roster will have to be taught a new system, whether that is teaching new players the Majerus system, or teaching every player the system Crews or any other coach wants to implement of their own. I always thought Crews' comments throughout the season that he was letting the players teach him due to their familiarity with Majerus' system were just him deflecting the praise away from him, but maybe there is some validity to it.

Finally, a huge key to the Majerus system was Rick Majerus. The guy was a basketball genius. I question if his system directed by anyone else over the course of a few years would be as effective as if he ran it.

So you think you can spend 36 years in basketball professionally and not understand the motion offense? I don't think so this isn't like switching from being a psychiatrist to being a plastic surgeon this is basketball.

First of all, I wouldn't be upset if Crews gets the full-time gig. Crews was not the reason we lost to Oregon.

If it's not Crews, Howland would be a huge get.

He was never a good fit for UCLA. The pressure not just to win, but to win in style was his undoing. If Dixon had left Pitt, I could see where he'd be a good fit to return there, but it appears Pitt has gone all-in on Dixon and locked him up...Howland's days are numbered in La La land...we could certainly live with his Sweet 16 ceiling at Pitt or back to back to back Final 4s at UCLA...

Absolutely right...Howland also had to deal with a lot of star players who left early for the NBA. His philosophy would be different here at SLU (similar to his philosophy at Pitt), and I think he would enjoy getting out of the limelight.

The whole Reeves Nelson debacle makes me hesitate a little though...

He said Crews ran the "shuffle offense" at Evansville. He mentioned a coach's name before that but I can't recall which one. It was invented in the early '50s but the coach he named isn't the one who invented it. Dean Smith was an early proponent of the shuffle and brought numerous innovations to it.

He said Crews ran the "shuffle offense" at Evansville. He mentioned a coach's name before that but I can't recall which one. It was invented in the early '50s but the coach he named isn't the one who invented it. Dean Smith was an early proponent of the shuffle and brought numerous innovations to it.

Johnny Orr from ISU.

So you think you can spend 36 years in basketball professionally and not understand the motion offense? I don't think so this isn't like switching from being a psychiatrist to being a plastic surgeon this is basketball.

If what Majerus did was so simple and everyone could do it, he wouldn't have been viewed as a basketball genius. I think we're kidding ourselves if we think Crews or anyone else can implement Rick's system with new players over the next few years and do so as well as Rick.

4 and 5 star recruits, especially those that fancy themselves future NBA players, are difficult to coach (ask Bruce Weber), especially on D. Howland's Pitt teams were much more organized and disciplined than his UCLA teams. I think Howland ended up saying 'Fuok It' after a few years. His controlling coaching style didn't really mesh with the type of recruit he was getting. Was he really going to say No to these 4/5 stars?

Yes.

They were HOT. Many of the 3's were from NBA++ range, you cannot cover that effectively.

And we were NOT, many of ours were from very deep, too. We were not "covered" any better than we "covered" them on the 3's.

Just one of those things.

If you go out that far around the screen, the little guard blows by you and takes it to the hoop, dishes it to one of their bigs. Routine.

BOTH coaches chose not to chase the guard around the screen and their guards hit the shot like goddam Downtown Freddie Brown. Ours did not (KM, MM, CE, RL uncontested).

Just a bad night.We started 0-10, they started 4-6. Post game,announcers were joking that they do not think Oregon could hit 8-11 in practice, ever.

If we both hit 30-35-38%%, give or take, the game is tied.

It was not an issue with the game plan. What game plan do you suggest? We chase their guard 10 feet out from the "3" line around the screen? Explain.

(It was one of those things... I know a guy, never hit a home run his whole life, hit TWO home runs in one game. Then never hit another one the rest of his life. True story.)

Most of the three point shots made in the first half are not NBA++ range and they were not contested. You can watch the replay if you do not agree. I bet our defensive game plan is let them shoot the three and prevent them get close to the rim, so you can tell from the game that we shrank our defense a little bit. It is reasonable because they are not considered as a good outside shooting team, but we just failed to adjust our defense in the first half.

"It was one of those things... I know a guy, never hit a home run his whole life, hit TWO home runs in one game. Then never hit another one the rest of his life. True story" does not apply to here, because they were hot in the Oklahoma States game too. Therefore, both our and Oklahoma State defensive plans were not effective at the beginning and failed to adjust right away. Another similarity is both DE and Smart struggled, it tells their defensive plans work well.

I'm uncertain about where I stand on the the head coach decision right now.

With that said, anyone demanding that SLU hire a "better" or "bigger name" coach than Crews should shut their mouth and open up their wallet to donate to the SLU bball program. A big name coach isn't going to come to SLU unless he is getting paid.

Some guy named McCarthy or something like that at Mississippi State in the 50's

I'm uncertain about where I stand on the the head coach decision right now.

With that said, anyone demanding that SLU hire a "better" or "bigger name" coach than Crews should shut their mouth and open up their wallet to donate to the SLU bball program. A big name coach isn't going to come to SLU unless he is getting paid.

I wasn't under the impression that SLU is strapped for cash.

I totally agree with Billikan. thanks for stating the obvious. Class is not a major feature of these kinds of boards. I saw some idiot reporter ask Shaka Smart right after their loss if he was leaving. Even Charles Barkley called it out as classless. I figured this board would have a meltdown after that ugly loss, but some of this is truly pathetic -- and classless.

What a year. Thank you, Jim Crews. Please come back and keep this locomotive running. Yes, we do need a few more athletes. But a new coach will scrap all or most of the Majerus system and start from scratch; while we still have the great guys coming back to act as assistant coaches -- please come back to lead it. The games this year -- especially home against Butler, 2nd half against Lasalle; VCU at home and then in the tourney; New Mexico = really some of the best basketbal ever played at Chaifetz, and really some of the best played all year in Dvision I!!! PLEASE disregard the phonies on here calling for your dismissal less that 12 hours after the end of the season!! And if you are a recruit reading this: many if not most of us on here love the team, the year we had, the coaching staff, and will always treasure the accomplishments led by coach Crews.

PS: Frankly: We got drilled by a team that played better that we did, plain and simple. It happens every day in the tournament. Coaching does not affect 3-point shooting; or fatigue, for that matter; and our defense ran tired a lot and the long season finally just gets to adolescents -- look at the teams that have already bit the dust. I remember the GW game, coached by the great Rick Majerus, where we scored 20. Coaching cannot magically remove the lid off of the bucket.

Based on your posts, I really need to ask, in the interests of full disclosure so that there can be intelligent discussion going forward:

Are you a relative and/or close personal friend of Jim Crews's? This entire post is so seeped in blind homerism and Jim Crews-flavored Kool-Aid that I don't even know where to begin addressing its glaring flaws.

I have no idea if Ben Howland would be a viable candidate at SLU, but as an aside, he and Majerus were close friends. When Howland and his then assistant Jamie Dixon were trying to build a program at Northern Arizona, they met with Majerus to get ideas on what worked. Eventually, Howland and Dixon went to Pitt, and Dixon took over at Pitt when Howland went to UCLA. I also read that Howland and possibly Dixon as well, followed Majerus around when Utah went to the 1998 Final Four.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/majerus-left-stamp-on-pitts-program-through-dixon-howland-664840/