Oregon: Scouting the Ducks

Pistol

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually those boneheads got the "Saint" part right. But it was so idiotic I actually hunted down the emails and sent them an angry message.

on a more relevant issue: I saw the game and thought Oregon looked pretty good, and certainly good enough to challenge us, and beat us if we are not on the game.

I think we can control their dazzling little point guard OK. But I like their rebounding and their defensive pressure. I especially like that big kid from Iran. (and yes we recruited Singler, at that time his brother was starring at Duke I believe). My main observation was actually how lousy I thought OK State looked. I was not impressed and thought they were not disciplined at all.

It's that time of year where every single game is a worry, and I hope this does not sound like the sky is falling, but the Ducks are on a roll, having won their tournament and knocking off UCLA, and they showed me something against OK State. I think we better fasten our seat belts. I hope we win on a last second 25-footer (or ally-oop two hander dunk).

We seem to adjust quite well to the level we are playing against. I know it is purely bad Billiken form to be this way but I alight to the proverbial couch in Maryland with an overwhelming sense of confidence. Which is unheard of across Billiken fandom. It might even be verbotten but I can't help but really like and feel this team is wiser for its years.

Maybe the bigger question is what is Oregon doing to prepare for us? Apparently studying film doesn't work, just ask Marvin Menzies

actually those boneheads got the "Saint" part right. But it was so idiotic I actually hunted down the emails and sent them an angry message.

on a more relevant issue: I saw the game and thought Oregon looked pretty good, and certainly good enough to challenge us, and beat us if we are not on the game.

I think we can control their dazzling little point guard OK. But I like their rebounding and their defensive pressure. I especially like that big kid from Iran. (and yes we recruited Singler, at that time his brother was starring at Duke I believe). My main observation was actually how lousy I thought OK State looked. I was not impressed and thought they were not disciplined at all.

It's that time of year where every single game is a worry, and I hope this does not sound like the sky is falling, but the Ducks are on a roll, having won their tournament and knocking off UCLA, and they showed me something against OK State. I think we better fasten our seat belts. I hope we win on a last second 25-footer (or ally-oop two hander dunk).

I hope we win by 20 and lead the whole game and start sweating right after haltime when the Ducks for a brief moment cut it to single digits....... It's a great deal more enjoyable. I should point out, mister glass half empty, that the Billikens are on a pretty good roll too. Going throught the A10 and the A10 Tournament like a "dose of salts" is pretty impressive too.

The Ducks do seem to be athletic and long enough to give us trouble but I like our chances......

Just paging between the Ducks roster and their stats, it looks like the guys who play the majority of the minutes and make the majority of the points are the bigs. Only one guard averages more than 20 minutes and he's 5'8". We need to take care of the ball when we drive in the paint. It looks like we outweigh most of their bigs. They have a few small forwards/guards that are around 6'4/5", but they are around the 200 lbs mark. If we play our slow and brutal defense, I don't see us having that many issues.

The "men" are looking at working even harder on their defense. Just read the Bernie Mikalsz piece in the Post Dispatch today. They didn't feel like they played that great defensively yesterday.

I heard them mention this morning on Mike and Mike that they only high seed that would even have an opprotunity to make it further that won yesterday would be Oregon. Bilas and another annoucer said that Oregon would have to work to speed up our game and have our defense work with less than 5 guys. They said that it is much more difficult to speed up a game than slow it down. Yesterday when it happened with New Mexico St, Crews took a time out and then we slowed everything back down. This is a veteran team playing in veteran form.

Looking forward to tomorrow night's game!

That's the way Travis Ford coached at UMASS.

I had the chance to watch them play this year several times and I was praying for them to beat Oregon. They won a nice tournament early in Puerto Rico this year but for the most part they were really soft. The Big 12 was deceptively crappy this year. It would have been a slow, brutal game be we would have beaten them handily in the 60-45 range.

I hope we win by 20 and lead the whole game and start sweating right after haltime when the Ducks for a brief moment cut it to single digits....... It's a great deal more enjoyable.

it's funny you say this. Because I actually think that's been the story a lot lately: pretty even for 10-14 minutes, we get a short run, go up by 8-12 by halftime, come out even better at beginning of second half, have a 5-minute lapse where the opponent cuts it down to 6-8 points, then put them out of their misery with a 12-2 run at about the 10 minute mark of the second half.

You are exactly right, those kind of games are much more enjoyable. But everyone remembers shots by guys like Bryce Drew and Keith Smart.

ps: mister glass half empty? really ??

i was at a bar yesterday hoopin and hollering, laughing it up - then they cut the lead to 6, "alright everybody shutup now"

i never realized it got as low as 6, i guess i was just never worried. i knew the refs were jobbing us because they felt sorry for sloth and that there was no way that could continue to the end. like i said, if we got even refereeing, we'd have won by 30-35. i'd rather not have any nail biters until the final four. at that point, i can handle the drama, fuok it.

i never realized it got as low as 6, i guess i was just never worried. i knew the refs were jobbing us because they felt sorry for sloth and that there was no way that could continue to the end. like i said, if we got even refereeing, we'd have won by 30-35. i'd rather not have any nail biters until the final four. at that point, i can handle the drama, fuok it.

They should have left the big guy on the bench. They were more effective with him off the court.

Rammer on 101.1 says the tip off time is 6:10pm - I assume he meant StL time. Silly for him to give us the PTS. I did not see a single charge called in any of the several games I watched either. Somebody needs to show that 56 -44 Oregon stat to our kids - that should get them up. Rammer also said that Oregon is 900 miles - what Altman told him - from San Jose so apparently they did not have a big fan contingent at the game.

So one thing that I noticed from the OK State/Duck game is that the guards from Oregon were not pressured one bit. The OK state guards played off them and pretty much packed it in.

When we have Kwam, MM, and JJ ball hawking as soon as they cross half court...I think there 5'8" PG will stop looking like Dwayne Wade.

OK St's D was seriously terrible and ours is good. We need to punch them in the mouth early when they still think they can just float freely around the arc without a care in the world. I am hoping JC saw what I saw and will emphasize to the boys that we need to be right up in their grill (I know we always are, but still).

Also, I loved that the A-10 handled business because it validates the notion that our wins against VCU, Butler, LaSalle were truly "good" wins.

-Nick

BTW if you guys wanna chat with us, you're welcome to visit our forum:

http://ducksattack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15320

I posted a link to your forum, on our boards as well.

Can't wait til Saturday!

Nice Guy.

Some great highlights of Oregon's Tumbling team on there. Thats probably the most Ive ever watched of a tumbling match? game? competition?

Glad you all appreciate our cheerleaders. I've had to google the origins of your team name before. Perhaps one of the cooler nicknames/mascots out there.

How you guys win:

Evans goes off

Force Oregon to TO

And force Oregon to low shooting (honestly which usually isn't a problem with good defensive teams, but guys like Dotson have been playing much better lately)

I still think turnovers decides this game. Both D's are capable in this matchup, but Oregon is notorious for turning it over alot.