Will Leitch on SLU

Duff Man

MIDWEST SLEEPER: St. Louis University

The strange thing about this perfect season for St. Louis -- this amazing season they'll be talking about at that school for another 100 years -- is how inherently unrepeatable it is. This is a team that won the Atlantic 10 in a season where the conference existed in a way it never will again; it's essentially exploding into shards all across the country. (Where SLU ends up in this, no one's quite sure.) It's a team that has an interim coach that is both doing a terrific job and also sorta hanging on for dear life. It's a team that has had transfers and loss and scandal, a program many fans have long felt was cursed. And all that just peeled away, like nothing, as the team has become its best self.

St. Louis will be good again, but it will never be this again, and everyone knows it, and is trying to appreciate it.

And then there is of course the death of coach Rick Majerus. It is worth remembering Majerus' last tourney win, a 61-54 win over Memphis, on March 16, 2012, a masterpiece of coaching. Memphis fans still frustrated that Josh Pastner hasn't won a tournament game can point to this one, in which Majerus, almost effortlessly, outwitted him at every turn, wasting Pastner's top-shelf recruits with his unheralded, two-star veterans. Majerus signature pressing, almost obnoxious defense -- loud, grating, irresistible, like the coach himself -- was never better in that game … and Majerus himself was never the same. The rumors about his declining health had been swirling all fall, and when he died on December 1, his team served as pallbearers. These were boys recruited by Majerus, at the job he took because he decided he couldn't handle being an ESPN analyst anymore. He said the network told him, "We're not going to show some guy in a defensive stance on 'SportsCenter.'" So it was back to coaching, and back to this team.

To watch SLU play defense is to watch Majerus, back to life. It is his defense, his intensity, his defensive principles, put into action by a team that is out there displaying what he taught them. It is, actually, quite moving, to see a man live on, ghost-like, in the play of the team he put together. You cannot live forever. But what you teach can. He has been gone only 3 ½ months, but this team is pure Majerus.

They are in the toughest bracket, though; it would have been fun to see them in the East, where they would probably be the second best team in the region, behind Indiana, a team they'd matchup well against. Instead, it's the West, with Louisville and Duke and Michigan State and all sorts of scary things. But this is what makes SLU fun, and this year feel so special.
Of course it has to be hard. If St. Louis is gonna go down, in this of all years, it's going to be to someone big, in a way no one will forget. When the team, stuck in traffic, had to stop at that Best Buy in Jersey just to find out its place in the NCAA tourney, it felt perfect. Awkward, improvised, hilarious and a little bit insane. Pure Majerus. If you're not rooting for the Billikens in this tournament, it's gonna be hard for us to be friends for a while.

Really? They'll never be this good again? It's not repeatable? Majerus' signature pressing?

Really? They'll never be this good again? It's not repeatable? Majerus' signature pressing?

Read that line again. It's not what you said.

I see where I misread the wording, I don't think I misunderstood the intent. He said we'll be good again, but never this? Never this what? We can and should be this again. He also said the season is inherantly unreapatable? Is he talking about unreapeatable as in our coach dying? Or the results unreapeatable.

It reads to me like we're a nice little story amidst our best season that will never happen again. I'm tired of being the little engine that could. There is no reason in the world that SLU can't be Marquette or Gonzaga.

He said it will never be "this" again.

"this" as in, the a-10 will never have this good of a conference again. The only season where it occured. This as in, our team will probably never have to deal with losing not only a hall of fame coach that brought them all together, but a man like majerus. This as in, even if this all did occur do you think we'd have another man like crews to pull this thing off and win such a stellar confrence twice?

Hes not saying we wont be this good ever again, hes not saying this is the ceiling. Hes saying there will never be the incredibly unique set of circumstances like this again and it wont be dealt with as well as it has been. Not really sure where people are missing this.

He said it will never be "this" again.

"this" as in, the a-10 will never have this good of a conference again. The only season where it occured. This as in, our team will probably never have to deal with losing not only a hall of fame coach that brought them all together, but a man like majerus. This as in, even if this all did occur do you think we'd have another man like crews to pull this thing off and win such a stellar confrence twice?

Hes not saying we wont be this good ever again, hes not saying this is the ceiling. Hes saying there will never be the incredibly unique set of circumstances like this again and it wont be dealt with as well as it has been. Not really sure where people are missing this.

+ 1

I see where I misread the wording, I don't think I misunderstood the intent. He said we'll be good again, but never this? Never this what? We can and should be this again. He also said the season is inherantly unreapatable? Is he talking about unreapeatable as in our coach dying? Or the results unreapeatable.

It reads to me like we're a nice little story amidst our best season that will never happen again. I'm tired of being the little engine that could. There is no reason in the world that SLU can't be Marquette or Gonzaga.

You have little engine syndrome. You're seeing slights where they don't exist.

I have regular email contact with Leitch discussing the Cardinals and SLU.

You definitely misunderstood his intent.

it will never be "this" again. it does mean this set of highly unusual circumstances...

I think it's true and I think lightning strikes very rarely. I have no idea how far this will go, but we will all remember the year Coach M passed, and the gripping way the boys fought back, with a disciple of the General called in by the late great coach to take the reins -- in case something happened (it did).

This is, like -- OK, gonna say it -- the stuff of Hollywood. Again, those kind of films usually end with a victory; so that will in all likelihood not happen this time (or -- will it?!?!)

ps: those calling for a new coach; can you imagine this film: Hoosiers II: with someone like John Stamos as the new boy in town, taking over the coaching reins after the barber and his cohort get revenge by firing Coach Norman Dale.

actually I love the line: "Coach Stays!"

For the last few years, I've tried to talk to all these ACC people around here in NC about what is happening with the SLU program. Mostly, I just got rolled eyes saying " Why is this guy talking about this mid-major program I don't even know exists?" Until theVCU/Butler week it was the same thing.

Now, though they're asking me questions, trying to figure out why this team is all of a sudden getting the hype. So thanks Billikens for this great ride and for getting these people to stop rolling their eyes at me.

You have little engine syndrome. You're seeing slights where they don't exist.

I have regular email contact with Leitch discussing the Cardinals and SLU.

You definitely misunderstood his intent.

Keep the personal shots to yourself.

I'll take everyone's word that I'm misinterpreting his intent

This is, like -- OK, gonna say it -- the stuff of Hollywood. Again, those kind of films usually end with a victory; so that will in all likelihood not happen this time (or -- will it?!?!)

What a great movie it would make if it were to happen. I see the movie starting with Majerus leading the 98 Utes to the finals. Utah is up 10 at halftime and then sees the lead slowly, painfully eke away as they lose the game. Majerus then leaves Utah because of his health- and it appears any national championship dreams are now gone. Espn analyst. Then, his health returns, he is reinvigorated and has a second lease on life. Takes over SLU, builds them up. You see SLU running the clinic against memphis, then the close loss to michigan state. The "Apollo 13" type moments with the coaching staff post MSU are shown (gentlemen its been a pleasure serving with you...). Segments of the press conference with conklin are shown- Majerus "you get attached to kids. I'll see them again, but not in my current capacity"(how eerie...). Transition to the press hyping up the upcoming season- how SLU is picked to win the conference and is a final four contender. Then tragedy strikes- the unthinkable happens. The Majerus loss, the injuries. The team becomes a shell of itself. SLU begins conference season 1 and 2- all is seemingly lost. And then somehow, someway their spirit returns. Ellis is shown writing the Majerus motto "to win: defend, rebound". The great run through the rest of the conference season. First outright champs since the 1950's. Win the conference tournament. Best NCAA seed in school history. Has to then get past the best team in the country. Mitchell on the court somehow, inexplicably, "hearing Majerus on the sidelines yelling instructions to him (KM own words recently)." With the help of beyond the grave assistance, SLU wins the finals. Euphoria and redemption. What could not be accomplished during life is somehow accomplished after death. Would be great to see...

I am confused about all the anger. This is a brilliantly written article. This is a season for the ages and the confluence of events that have happened around this team this year in unprecedented.

Bingo - well said.

In all our movie talk we've forgotten how hollywood regularly takes license with the truth, or in street talk fcks things up so I'm trying to think of how that will happen with this fairy tail. I envision this change coach still here at beginning of season and then dies in the middle. maybe we'd get more honest feel from a mini series. One season with no lies the truth has been so much better than what the hacks would come up with.