Nate Silver's Tournament Forecast

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/03/18/sports/ncaabasketball/nate-bracket.html?_r=1&

Pretty cool map.

76.2% chance of beating NMSU

10.5% chance of getting to the Final Four

.07% chance of being the tournament champions

Karl Rove has come out with his own projections and not surprisingly, they look much different from Nate Silver's... Rove has Liberty as the favorite to win it all. Some skeptics have challenged his bold prediction, but Rove is standing strong and is convinced he has it nailed.

Karl Rove has come out with his own projections and not surprisingly, they look much different from Nate Silver's... Rove has Liberty as the favorite to win it all. Some skeptics have challenged his bold prediction, but Rove is standing strong and is convinced he has it nailed.

Acehole......

Can't wait for your reply because you can't stop yourself. Gotta get in that last word.....

Acehole......

Can't wait for your reply because you can't stop yourself. Gotta get in that last word.....

:rolleyes: Geez Rich... You're getting that worked up about Karl Rove? Really? :wacko:

Nate Silver has an excellent reputation for crunching numbers and forecasting. Some less informed people actually questioned his credibility. Meanwhile, Karl Rove? Not so much credibility with his projections. Lighten up.

Didn't you read where the reason he's picking Liberty is due to Obama requiring the Big 6 conference schools to share points with the less fortunate schools. The new point allocation system will be as follows

Non Big 6 schools will start with 10 points. Though none have been earned yet, they will just borrow them from the China Nat'l team. The points will have to be paid back at a rate of 3-1 by the children of the current players

For each point scored by a Big 6 school the Big 6 school will get .67 points and the remaining .33 will go to the non BCS school as required by the new Fair Share Point Allocation Law. It is being said that Obama doesn't have the right or the authority to just make this a law, but Harry Reed has promised the NCAA directors a 650 million dollar stimulus package along with free condoms and cell phones in return for their cooperation.

Clearly a liberal media bias against Liberty.

Didn't you read where the reason he's picking Liberty is due to Obama requiring the Big 6 conference schools to share points with the less fortunate schools. The new point allocation system will be as follows

Non Big 6 schools will start with 10 points. Though none have been earned yet, they will just borrow them from the China Nat'l team. The points will have to be paid back at a rate of 3-1 by the children of the current players

For each point scored by a Big 6 school the Big 6 school will get .67 points and the remaining .33 will go to the non BCS school as required by the new Fair Share Point Allocation Law. It is being said that Obama doesn't have the right or the authority to just make this a law, but Harry Reed has promised the NCAA directors a 650 million dollar stimulus package along with free condoms and cell phones in return for their cooperation.

Not surprising that his reasoning would be way off again. Just Karl being Karl. I figured he was just pandering to the evangelicals again. I wonder how he his breaking down teams from the state of Ohio? He's got that state figured out.

Yeah, because what this board needs is a little more political humor.

Rich, you're one of the worst when it comes to political jabs. And if you can't make fun of the ridiculous pundits (either side), then yes, you need to get a sense of humor.

Not surprising that his reasoning would be way off again. Just Karl being Karl. I figured he was just pandering to the evangelicals again. I wonder how he his breaking down teams from the state of Ohio? He's got that state figured out.

I believe he is guaranteeing a win from the state of Ohio

Rich, you're one of the worst when it comes to political jabs. And if you can't make fun of the ridiculous pundits (either side), then yes, you need to get a sense of humor.

+1 Agreed. That is why it was rather amusing to see him go off like that. EVEN Fox has distanced themselves from Karl Rove. I guess Rich didn't get the memo. It has nothing to do with politics, Rove simply deserves ridicule for being an idiot with his unscientific "prognostications". I didn't think anybody would come running to Karl's defense. Geez :wacko:

Has Silver been doing Tournament forecasting in prior years? I don't remember seeing it, but glad he is involved. What caught my attention was that out of the #5 seeds, VCU has the worst chance of getting to the Sweet 16. Bilas and a few others have been talking them up as another Final 4 contender. We have shown that if you have good guards and defend them in the half court, they are very beatable.

+1 Agreed. That is why it was rather amusing to see him go off like that. EVEN Fox has distanced themselves from Karl Rove. I guess Rich didn't get the memo. It has nothing to do with politics, Rove simply deserves ridicule for being an idiot with his unscientific "prognostications". I didn't think anybody would come running to Karl's defense. Geez :wacko:

Has Silver been doing Tournament forecasting in prior years? I don't remember seeing it, but glad he is involved. What caught my attention was that out of the #5 seeds, VCU has the worst chance of getting to the Sweet 16. Bilas and a few others have been talking them up as another Final 4 contender. We have shown that if you have good guards and defend them in the half court, they are very beatable.

In Karl's defense its hard to accurately predict elections when democrats are allowed to vote multiple times....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/11/cincinnati-poll-worker-charged-with-voting-half-dozen-times-in-november/

Yep, sure would've been a tragedy to avoid having another political thread on this board. Way to troll Ace. Your the man.

In Karl's defense its hard to accurately predict elections when democrats are allowed to vote multiple times....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/11/cincinnati-poll-worker-charged-with-voting-half-dozen-times-in-november/

Ugghh, here we go...

So, what's the over/under on the number of posts this thread is going to reach before a moderator is going to have to lock it?

I could be wrong, but I thought his site was originally focused on sports, but then moved to politics.

Lolol... Whoa... Focus. Seriously.

Agreed. There is some really interesting numbers and that should be the focus of this thread. Sorry I threw out Karl Rove's name. I thought it was an amusing opposite of Nate Silver. I had no idea he still had any protectors out there who would be so sensitive. Nate caught a lot of crap, but he was clearly on the right side of history. No bias. No spin. Just objective data.

Back to the numbers, UCLA (6 seed) and Akron (12 seed) have the same chance of making the Sweet 16. I know UCLA had a big injury, but that one caught my attention. The only first round game that appears close to a true toss-up game is Illinois/Colorado.