GDT: A10 Tournament, Round One

Pistol

Just read through the post game notes for us v. Charlotte. Big scorers were JJ, CE, and JB. DE, KM, and RL in foul trouble. DE played less than 20 minutes. Charlotte's big scorers were Henry and Clayton. We won 75-58.

We scored 21 points off 15 turnovers.

Charlotte has no outside shooting. They push towards the basket. Lots of layup type shots at the end of the Charlotte-Richmond game. Just close up shop in the lane and we should be set.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the play by play guys were confused with all the free throws at the end. I WONDERED if that was called a 3 point shot attempt on that foul at half court. And it was but no one seemed to know it. I'd like to see that "shot" attempt again. I think he threw it up as an afterthought and got the benefit of the doubt.

Even the play by play guys were confused with all the free throws at the end. I WONDERED if that was called a 3 point shot attempt on that foul at half court. And it was but no one seemed to know it. I'd like to see that "shot" attempt again. I think he threw it up as an afterthought and got the benefit of the doubt.

It looked like a legit call to me. The contact was instantaneous with the shot being flung up. I didn't think they'd call it, because a lot of refs let that go at the very end of the game, but by the rules, it was a legit call.

Richmond (up 3) fouls Charlotte with 5 seconds left. Charlotte goes to the line to shoot 1 and 1

Henry hits the first

As the shot goes through the net, Richmond's Williams pushes a Charlotte player (may have said something to the ref), gets a T

Henry hits 3 more Free Throws (2 for the T, and the second 1 and 1). This puts Charlotte up 1

Charlotte also gets the ball due to the Technical.

Henry gets (un)intentionally fouled while hurling up a half court shot. Refs award 3 free throws

Mooney gets a double Technical (ejected) and Henry gets 7 free throws (4 for the T's and 3 for the foul on the shot attempt)

Charlotte scores 8 points off of Free Throws in the in final 5 seconds to go from down 3 to up 5

Did I miss anything

Thanks. Here's what they have on the play-by-play, though:

0:05: Henry fouled by Lindsay

0:05: Henry made FT

0:05: Williams technical foul

0:05: Williams foul (this may just be logging the tech as a personal)

0:05: Henry made FT (2nd of 1-and-1)

0:05: Henry made FT (1st tech)

0:05: Henry made FT (2nd tech)

0:03: Robbins foul (on Charlotte inbound)

0:03: Richmond team technical foul (Mooney's 1st)

0:03: Henry made FT

0:03: Richmond team technical foul (Mooney's 2nd)

0:03: Henry missed FT

0:03: Henry missed FT

0:03: Lindsay missed 3-pointer

Game over.

So here's what I don't get: Did Henry really get awarded 3 free throws on the inbound at 3 seconds? If so, wouldn't there be technical FTs on top of those 3? And wouldn't he have shot 7 total at the 3-second mark instead of 6?

Edit: looks like the play-by-play is just missing one FT. Then it all makes sense. Wow.

Also, it looks like with that win, Charlotte is definitely going to the NIT, regardless of what happens tomorrow against SLU. Their RPI bumped up to 64, and a loss will still have them in the high 60's. They still have virtually no at-large chances (outside chance if they make the final and then lose), but the NIT is always better than the CBI and CIT, which is where they were headed with a loss to Richmond.

Earl Austin Jr.@earlaustinjr

The end of the Charlotte- Richmond game is right up there with Munich '72 as one of the most bizarre endings in basketball history.

Ben Weixlmann@BWeixScout

Pierria Henry said it felt like he was at the free throw line for 30 minutes.

Tom Timmermann@tomtimm

As @earlaustinjr noted, Richmond's mistake was fouling on 3 rather than letting Charlotte, which stinks on 3's, take one.

-Get ready for a debate on whether fouling when you're up 3 is a good idea.

We've got to get out of this conference. The only reason we didn't have a ref assisted loss or victory is because we beat the hell out of most teams......

I bet many think the X loss was ref assisted (timeout while ball was going out of bounds). Also, the URI loss was possibly ref assisted according to some opinions (Evans with double foul followed by double tech a few seconds later, Loe getting a flagrant after not getting foul called on him.)

I mean at the very end, Charlotte was up 1 with the ball. They inbounded and Richmond fouled and the Charlotte dude just heaved it from half-court. I think the refs called the half court heave a shot and were gonna give him 3 free throws, and that set Mooney off and he got double T'd.

That's the only explanation for them shooting 7 free throws at the very end.

I was following on gametracker, had to look away for a minute, then figured the system had gone haywire when every click would show Charlotte shooting free throws. After clicking back throught the replays, each forward click continuted to show Charlotte on the FT line. Finally, the scoreboard changed to 68-63 and I figured something absolutely crazy had happened.

sounds like the perfect illustration of today's refs wanting to decide games imo. i cant wait to watch for myself the ending of this game.

I don't "fear" any team in this tournament but Charlotte does present some match-up problems for us with their length. The regular season game was a back and forth affair for much of the game until we pulled away late. I think we win but this will be more of a battle than many think

I was more worried about facing Richmond beause I thought they were better coached and more disciplined. Sounds like they didn't show it in this game. Richmond has more depth and more scoring options than Charlotte, that is also why I preferred facing the 49ers.The basically have three players we have to worry about, with Henry being the main guy.

In these tournaments, I'm always more worried about teams that have multiple 3-point threats like Richmond, because if one guy gets hot it can have a big impact. Gotta stop Charlotte's drives and keep them off the glass.

Williams was an idiot

Mooney was an idiot

Refs were idiots for awarding 3 shots on a clearly BS shot from half court

Richmond was down 1 with Charlotte going to the line for 3 shots. It is really hard to hit all 3 in that situation, especially since Henry is only a 71% free throw shooter. If Mooney had kept his composure, it is very likely Richmond would have had at least a chance (albeit a small one) to tie at the end. As a coach, you owe it to your players to give them a shot...I feel for Richmond's seniors. (Actually, I don't really give a ######)