Recruiting - 2013

You have to give Biondi credit for one thing: the conversation has clearly moved from whether Crews is the best coach we can hire to why the F haven't we hired him yet. Many people are going to be so happy just to have this finalized they'll forget that just a few weeks ago they were arguing against him being chosen.

I don't know if I'd give Biondi credit for it. While I personally have not been a proponent of making Crews the permanent head coach for a variety of reasons, I do respect the decision makers' right to hire the person that they want to hire, because quite honestly, they're the ones who have to face the backlash if something doesn't go well, not me. That said, once it was known that it would be Crews and that there wouldn't be an open search, there was no good excuse for why this wasn't done by early this week. At least Crews will be able to go to the Final Four and present himself to other coaches as the permanent head coach, just in case he needs to fill a spot or two on the staff.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-I'm loving everything I read about Djambo and especially Agbeko. Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? I think I'd be happy if either one signed, and ecstatic if both did.

I can't say i know much about either, but for next year Djambo seems to be the choice. For the long-term, Agbeko would seem to be the choice. If I was forced to choose one I'd go with Agbeko just because is looks like Djambo is a bit more perimeter oriented (maybe filling CE's role?). We already have that in Loe. If Agbeko can bang down low and get some rebounds, then I think we need that more.

We are Djambo's last visit scheduled which could be a good or a bad thing. Obviously if he has a great visit at one of his other two stops he might commit on the spot, BUT if he doesn't commit to one of the other two before he gets here, then I really like our chances

Agbeko and Djambo are the biggest gets by far. For one, there are simply more good guards than good big men in college hoops. In addition they have drawn the attention of some big programs. Clearly this is not the end-all-be-all in terms of determining how good a player will be but given that we all have legitimate questions about this staff's ability to recruit, I take comfort knowing that big programs like what they see out of these two.

Don't forget the realist dude in the world.

Made a visit to SLU there

wound up with a future

just west of the Mississippi

dat sh#t got trippy

lead the team to the final 4

knocking on the NBA's door

I got kids to feed

plus my mommas in need

just paying those bills

with my basketball skills

Just a quick cypher sorry for my simple abab rhyme scheme

EDIT: Daishon Knight has been added. Thanks, billikens747.

We are Djambo's last visit scheduled which could be a good or a bad thing. Obviously if he has a great visit at one of his other two stops he might commit on the spot, BUT if he doesn't commit to one of the other two before he gets here, then I really like our chances

Agbeko and Djambo are the biggest gets by far. For one, there are simply more good guards than good big men in college hoops. In addition they have drawn the attention of some big programs. Clearly this is not the end-all-be-all in terms of determining how good a player will be but given that we all have legitimate questions about this staff's ability to recruit, I take comfort knowing that big programs like what they see out of these two.

Just based on what I have read, agreed I would like both Agbeko and Djambo. For the final spot, I would want the best transfer we can find, regardless of position, to help for 2014-15. There appear to be so many transfers this year. We have to explore that market.

Listed as a PG most places, but seems like more of a SG in terms of his game.

Thank you, Pistol. It would be really good for the program to get the best three of the five players we are recruiting. The best guard and both big men. I hope Agbeko has a bigger upside than Remekun. We need someone to be at least as good as Ellis was.

Painting more of a complete picture of Daishon Knight from a Google search:

-Listed at 6-1, 170. Most places call him a PG but he's got a scorer's mentality. He'd be more of a SG on our roster.

-Scored 19.8 PPG for Odessa CC this season. Shot 47.4% from the field, 36.4% from 3, and 79.5% from the FT line. Chipped in 3.4 RPG and 2.8 APG. (Note: the average is through 33 games but the percentages are through the first 30; I couldn't get a good final stat sheet that included the playoffs, but I can confirm his numbers went up as the season progressed).

-Made the all-region team this year.

-Regarding his suitors, he said: “I'm dealing with St. Louis, Illinois State, Creighton, Colorado State, and I’ve talked to Baylor, Texas State and Murray State as well. I’m just taking my time and taking everything in stride.”

-I'm wondering if he's an academic concern. He graduated HS in his hometown of Marietta, GA (a school called Kamit Institute for Magnificent Achievers) before going to MCI (Maine Central Institute) for prep school and then Odessa Community College. While he was at MCI, he had interest from Wichita State, Hawaii, and Creighton.

Just based on what I have read, agreed I would like both Agbeko and Djambo. For the final spot, I would want the best transfer we can find, regardless of position, to help for 2014-15. There appear to be so many transfers this year. We have to explore that market.

So you're not interested in Strawberry, Santil, or Knight?

Absolutely.

Thank you, Pistol. It would be really good for the program to get the best three of the five players we are recruiting. The best guard and both big men. I hope Agbeko has a bigger upside than Remekun. We need someone to be at least as good as Ellis was.

Honestly, I think our Ellis replacement is Crawford. Same height, can stroke it from anywhere; he's just more of a 2-3 than a 3-4 right now. But in terms of potential contribution on the offensive end, Crawford's the best bet there.

I don't think we've had anyone like Agbeko on our roster for a while. I think that's what makes him stand out to me. Everything I read indicates that he's a handful in the paint and plays very big. Finishes left-handed, too.

Djambo, on the other hand, seems like the type of player who stretches defenses out a bit. I have no doubt he can add to his frame with strength and conditioning and he seems to have some serious reach, which tells me he has more potential to be more of a rebounder and shot blocker than Loe, but from the scouting reports I read, he might be similar to Loe or Manning in that he's looking for the first open shot instead of getting the ball inside. (Which also isn't to say that Manning's game won't look a lot different next season).

So you're not interested in Strawberry, Santil, or Knight?

Absolutely.

Honestly, I think our Ellis replacement is Crawford. Same height, can stroke it from anywhere; he's just more of a 2-3 than a 3-4 right now. But in terms of potential contribution on the offensive end, Crawford's the best bet there.

I don't think we've had anyone like Agbeko on our roster for a while. I think that's what makes him stand out to me. Everything I read indicates that he's a handful in the paint and plays very big. Finishes left-handed, too.

Djambo, on the other hand, seems like the type of player who stretches defenses out a bit. I have no doubt he can add to his frame with strength and conditioning and he seems to have some serious reach, which tells me he has more potential to be more of a rebounder and shot blocker than Loe, but from the scouting reports I read, he might be similar to Loe or Manning in that he's looking for the first open shot instead of getting the ball inside. (Which also isn't to say that Manning's game won't look a lot different next season).

Knight does intrigue me a bit. Looks like he can score and has drawn interest from some pretty good programs. With so much transferring going on, I just think there could be an opportunity to land a real high level player on the rebound - I'm envisioning somebody like H Waldman back in the day. If that type of player is not out there, then one of the guards would be fine.

RED FLAG.

Now, were he a Little Lebowski Urban Achiever, I would have no problem with that.

Big time. The fact that he went to what sounds like a fake HS, then a prep school, then a community college adds up to one big question mark for me.

"And proud we are of all of them."

Knight does intrigue me a bit. Looks like he can score and has drawn interest from some pretty good programs. With so much transferring going on, I just think there could be an opportunity to land a real high level player on the rebound - I'm envisioning somebody like H Waldman back in the day. If that type of player is not out there, then one of the guards would be fine.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. And given how loaded the senior class will be, we don't need an instant-impact guy, necessarily, so a redshirt season wouldn't be a problem.

That said, the turnaround time is quick on those transfers and we already have 5 offers out for 3 spots, with a few of those kids speaking very, very highly of us. We may not end up having room for a transfer.

What about the McClane kid from NC? Were we not in on them, or is he for next year?

McClane is a 2014 offer, along with Barnett, Austin, O'Mara, and Macura.

whatever happened to Lucas Stivrins? I'm pretty sure he visited here ... too raw/ unmuscled for a 7-footer?? I know Nevada was after him a few weeks back.

Rivals says we're interested but that he has offers from Nevada and Tulsa. Clemson and Colorado are also listed as having Medium interest.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. And given how loaded the senior class will be, we don't need an instant-impact guy, necessarily, so a redshirt season wouldn't be a problem.

That said, the turnaround time is quick on those transfers and we already have 5 offers out for 3 spots, with a few of those kids speaking very, very highly of us. We may not end up having room for a transfer.

Don't we really only have 2 spots to fill with Crawford already committed? Or am I missing something?