Recruiting - 2013

Jordan Strawberry is tweeting for SLU fans to follow him and hit him up on twitter. Seems excited. Wonder if his dad living here will help out. Can't hurt.

It will hurt if we sign him and he is not good enough to help us.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UC Irvine and UC Bakersfield are the other teams in on Strawberry right now.

I would say that since no other program even close to our level is recruiting him that I am concerned he can play at this level, but then I would be told that I am trying to bring down the program by pointing that out

There's no way he goes to Duke; he's too raw, and is more or less redundant to what we already have. But, from the looks of it, he could be a great project for SLU, where someone of his body/skillset is badly needed.

There's no way he goes to Duke; he's too raw, and is more or less redundant to what we already have. But, from the looks of it, he could be a great project for SLU, where someone of his body/skillset is badly needed.

We.

That explains a lot.

We.

That explains a lot.

I mean, I'm certainly a fan of both programs. Is what I said wrong, though? He wouldn't fit at Duke - even if Parker and Hood are one-and-done, it's going to be extremely difficult for him to crack the rotation. But at SLU, where we'll be needing players at that position (particularly after this year's graduating class), he could be a great developmental project.

Here's what some Google research yields on Jordan Strawberry:

-Class of 2013, PG, Mater Dei HS in California (defending three-time state champions; absolute powerhouse in every sport).

-He's small; listed at 5-11, 150 on the small end and 6-1, 170 on the high end.

-VERY excited about his visit to SLU on April 22. Most of his Tweets in the past couple days have been about this.

-There's this nice article that previews this past season, in which they won state again: http://socalrecruitspot.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/jordan-strawberry-time-to-shine/ - Good insight from it:

"Most notable in a Strawberry highlight package is the quiet and controlled style of his play. He’s not wasting time with needless crossovers or reckless in-the-air passes. Doesn’t appear he’s targeting the spectacular each time he makes his way down the court. If anything, the beauty to his game is in it’s simplicity. No doubt Strawberry is a high caliber athlete and possesses the aptitude for the amazing, but the core of his game is sound fundamentals and a clear acceptance of his role. Strawberry makes use of a high velocity chest pass and pinpoint accuracy in consistently setting up scorers in an advantageous position. 4-5 minutes into his highlight mix (below) and you begin to see a pattern. The Strawberry pass is so on-point it often appears an element of the recipients natural shooting motion. Reinhardt and Stanley Johnson from the outside, and Xavier Johnson in and around the paint, are repeatedly fed the ball on cue and in the ideal spot to take advantage of an open look. The efficient Point play set the table for a ’11-’12 Mater Dei State title and an average of almost 78 points per game. Reinhardt and Xavier Johnson have left for the NCAA, and Jordan Strawberry stands poised to assume a much larger role in ’12′-’13."

The most recent feature I could find about him was good, too: http://www.ocvarsity.com/sports/strawberry-36576-one-game.html

The articles about the state finals game said he scored 5 in that one and played "superb defense." This most recent state title was the first in California's new "Open Division," which was created for the highest-level programs. He had 17 points in the semifinals.

I wouldn't let Strawberry's modest numbers for the season bother you; he plays with a roster full of guys headed to Division-I schools. Stanley Johnson is a 5-star with offers from Arizona, Oregon, SDSU, Kentucky, NC State, UCLA, UNLV, and USC. Elijah Brown is committed to Butler. There are a few other guys who are contributors, too.

Shut up! We all know Crews doesn't recruit. Plus, even if he does recruit, we all know he won't do any recruiting until there is a puff of white smoke from DuBourg, Biondi appears on a balcony, and there is an announcement heard across the land that JC has been pronounced the new pope, er, head coach.

Who has said Crews doesn't recruit? We all want Crews to have recruiting success, obviously, but this delay is not helping. The only good reason for the delay would be that they are exploring other options.We know Crews and staff are recruting, but there have been no spring commitments. Not sure if you follow other programs much, but recruitments are happening every day, including some kids SLU had been recruiting that have decided to go elsewhere.

IF Crews is the guy, then the concern is that the administration is not putting him in the best position to have recruiting success. History is repeating itself. We saw it before with the strange timing of the Sodie firing/Majerus hiring. The timing put RM at a recruiting disadvantage.

Can you think of more than one good reason for the delay?

You have to give Biondi credit for one thing: the conversation has clearly moved from whether Crews is the best coach we can hire to why the F haven't we hired him yet. Many people are going to be so happy just to have this finalized they'll forget that just a few weeks ago they were arguing against him being chosen.

Here is a name from the past. Martin Breunig (originally from Germany) passed on us and signed with Washington 2 years ago in the spring. He averaged only 6 minutes per game last season and now is transferring. Of course it's impossible to know how things would have turned out if he had come here but at least he would have been able to attend 4 NCAA tourney games.

You have to give Biondi credit for one thing: the conversation has clearly moved from whether Crews is the best coach we can hire to why the F haven't we hired him yet. Many people are going to be so happy just to have this finalized they'll forget that just a few weeks ago they were arguing against him being chosen.

Not me, the more this drags on, the more I am hoping for some out of leftfield big-time hire... because that is the only logical reason I can think of for this delay.

Here's what some Google research yields on Reggie Agbeko:

-Listed at 6-8, 225-240 (PF-C) in most places.

-Class of 2013, South Kent Prep basketball factory. Graduated in 2012 from St. Joseph's (the Marauders!) in Buffalo but opted for a prep year while the NCAA dragged its feet determining his eligibility.

-His family emigrated to the US from Ghana around the time his sophomore year would have started.

-Offers confirmed from Missouri State, St. Peter's, Robert Morris, Siena, and SLU.

-He already visited SLU and said it was a great visit.

-Missouri State felt good about their chances after a visit last month. The longer this goes on, the worse that looks for them.

-Interest from Tulsa*, Tulane*, Drexel, Loyola-Marymount*, Boston College*, Dayton*, Iona, Towson, UMass, LaSalle, Illinois State*, Charlotte*, Kent State*, Miami-OH, Wichita State, St. Bonaventure, and every smaller D-I program on the eastern seaboard. The * means I've seen offers rumored on message boards but can't confirm with a real source. He visited Loyola-Marymount, so I'd assume that offer is legit, too.

-Villanova, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, and Duke are supposedly showing interest now. No signs of offers or visits from any, but their names are popping up.

-He's reportedly a load inside. Takes up a lot of room and is left-handed. The phrases "high ceiling/upside" and "late bloomer" are used a lot for him.

-Visit status: Missouri State, Loyola-Marymount, and SLU have happened (in that order). Tulane and Illinois State remain.

The articles about the state finals game said he scored 5 in that one and played "superb defense." This most recent state title was the first in California's new "Open Division," which was created for the highest-level programs. He had 17 points in the semifinals.

Fun Fact: Aaron Gordon won the MVP award in the McDonald's All-American game last night. His team finished second in California's Open Division to none other than Mater Dei, with Jordan Strawberry starting at PG.

Here's what some Google research yields on Reggie Agbeko:

-Listed at 6-8, 225-240 (PF-C) in most places.

-Class of 2013, South Kent Prep basketball factory. Graduated in 2012 from St. Joseph's (the Marauders!) in Buffalo but opted for a prep year while the NCAA dragged its feet determining his eligibility.

-His family emigrated to the US from Ghana around the time his sophomore year would have started.

-Offers confirmed from Missouri State, St. Peter's, Robert Morris, Siena, and SLU.

-He already visited SLU and said it was a great visit.

-Missouri State felt good about their chances after a visit last month. The longer this goes on, the worse that looks for them.

-Interest from Tulsa*, Tulane*, Drexel, Loyola-Marymount*, Boston College*, Dayton*, Iona, Towson, UMass, LaSalle, Illinois State*, Charlotte*, Kent State*, Miami-OH, Wichita State, St. Bonaventure, and every smaller D-I program on the eastern seaboard. The * means I've seen offers rumored on message boards but can't confirm with a real source. He visited Loyola-Marymount, so I'd assume that offer is legit, too.

-Villanova, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, and Duke are supposedly showing interest now. No signs of offers or visits from any, but their names are popping up.

-He's reportedly a load inside. Takes up a lot of room and is left-handed. The phrases "high ceiling/upside" and "late bloomer" are used a lot for him.

-Visit status: Missouri State, Loyola-Marymount, and SLU have happened (in that order). Tulane and Illinois State remain.

I appreciate posts like this. Good information and, wow, it actually talks about a recruit!

So the current 2013 offer list looks like this:

Hakim Santil, PG: 5-11, 170, Roselle Catholic HS, Roselle, NJ. Offers: SLU and Fairfield. Possible offers: Rhode Island, South Carolina, Cincinnati, and SMU.

Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others.

Daishon Knight, PG-SG: 6-1, 170, Odessa CC, Odessa, TX. Offers: SLU. Possible offers: Illinois State, Creighton, Colorado State.

Reggie Agbeko, PF: 6-8, 240, South Kent Prep, South Kent, CT. Offers: SLU, Missouri State, St. Peter's, Robert Morris, Siena, Illinois State, Tulane, Loyola-Marymount; possible offers: Charlotte, Tulsa, Boston College, Dayton, and Kent State.

Ibrahim Djambo, C: 6-10, 240, Three Rivers CC, Poplar Bluff, MO. Offers: SLU, Austin Peay, Clemson, Detroit, Illinois State, Kansas State, Loyola-Chicago, Morehead State, SEMO, SIUC, Southern Miss, and Washington State.

Hakim Santil, PG: 5-11, 170, Roselle Catholic HS, Roselle, NJ. Offers: SLU and Fairfield. Possible offers: Rhode Island, South Carolina, Cincinnati, and SMU.

Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others.

Reggie Agbeko, PF: 6-8, 240, South Kent Prep, South Kent, CT. Offers: SLU, Missouri State, St. Peter's, Robert Morris, Siena, Illinois State, Tulane, Loyola-Marymount; possible offers: Charlotte, Tulsa, Boston College, Dayton, and Kent State.

Ibrahim Djambo, C: 6-10, 240, Three Rivers CC, Poplar Bluff, MO. Offers: SLU, Austin Peay, Clemson, Detroit, Illinois State, Kansas State, Loyola-Chicago, Morehead State, SEMO, SIUC, Southern Miss, and Washington State.

I believe Daishon Knight was offered also.

Of the guys that have visited/have a visit scheduled I think Djambo would clearly the biggest get. He is older, plays a position at which we will need a big contributor next year, and by all indicators is the biggest "talent" I do have to say that Agbeko is very intriguing as well. Programs that are building like ours need to take chances on upside guys and if he has drawn interest from Coach K, even if there is no offer from Duke, that is good enough for me.

The other guys seem like Sodie-era recruits to me (that is not a shot at the kids. I have two young sons and will be very proud if they plays varsity at SLUH much less college ball, so I do not mean to disparage the other guys we are after. The A-10 might just be a little over their heads)

Questions regarding this list:

-We have 3 spots available and appear to be the favorite for both Strawberry and Santil right now. However, if I had my pick of 3 of these 5, it would be either Santil OR Strawberry OR Knight, and then both Agbeko and Djambo. Strawberry is set to visit soon, but what if Santil commits first? Do we keep the offers on the table for both, and Knight?

-Are Santil's offers from SMU, Cincinnati, Rhode Island, and South Carolina still legit? He seems to have had other offers (or at least strong interest) from the likes of Kansas State, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers, and one or two more, but then been recruited over.

-I can't find much else about who's pursuing Strawberry. He was on the radar of all the West Coast power programs earlier in HS but none came through with an offer. I found one article that referenced "UC Riverside and two others" but nothing else. Anyone have any information on this?

-I'm loving everything I read about Djambo and especially Agbeko. Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? I think I'd be happy if either one signed, and ecstatic if both did.

-Information is not hard to find regarding Santil's and Strawberry's feelings about SLU, but it's harder to grasp what the other three think of us. Any insight?

Questions regarding this list:

-We have 3 spots available and appear to be the favorite for both Strawberry and Santil right now. However, if I had my pick of 3 of these 4, it would be either Santil OR Strawberry, and then both Agbeko and Djambo. Strawberry is set to visit soon, but what if Santil commits first? Do we keep the offers on the table for both?

-Are Santil's offers from SMU, Cincinnati, Rhode Island, and South Carolina still legit? He seems to have had other offers (or at least strong interest) from the likes of Kansas State, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers, and one or two more, but then been recruited over.

-I can't find much else about who's pursuing Strawberry. He was on the radar of all the West Coast power programs earlier in HS but none came through with an offer. I found one article that referenced "UC Riverside and two others" but nothing else. Anyone have any information on this?

-I'm loving everything I read about Djambo and especially Agbeko. Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? I think I'd be happy if either one signed, and ecstatic if both did.

-Information is not hard to find regarding Santil's and Strawberry's feelings about SLU, but it's harder to grasp what the big men think of us. Any insight?

-Finally, is there anyone I'm missing? SEE EDIT

EDIT: Daishon Knight has been added. Thanks, billikens747.