Recruiting - 2013

Hakim Saintil 2013 PG was name dropped on BillikenReport.com discussing the Billikens. On Rivals.com there are 9 schools mentioned that he is considering, none being SLU.

Anyone finally get a hold of the name of the big who was in attendance at the LaSalle game?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last i am confused, reid had this concussion. too bad to play at slu, but ok to play elsewhere? that doctor that ok'd that scenario has a lawsuit waiting for him i would think. either he could or couldnt play basketball again. or does the lower level play with some sort of pillow encased head gear or something?

Reid had a very high level concussion. He sat in a dark room for months because he was so sensitive to light. He looked like a good ball player while he was here. His concussion symptoms obviously took their toll. I don't think he was going to be a D-1 star, but he was better than a D-2 6 point a game guy. His concussion destroyed his career, but he still wanted to play. Probably got tired of not being able to play at the same level as before.

@ACE --- thanks for the nice words. I will admit to being quite pessimistic (right, kshoe?) but I blame that on a preponderance of bad Billiken luck (right f05?) spread out over the years. But I'm trying to correct my sinful, non-believer, needs more Blue Kool-Aid ways.

Let me say point blank, I am hoping Manning is indeed able to earn Majerus' accolade as most likely NBA player on our roster. And I hope that is more for game rather than just height. Rick Majerus has set my personal Manning bar and I guess it is quite high. Much more than just a servicable role player. Maybe too high.

moy and NH are banking on Manning for next year. All I'm asking is based on what? I've heard big men are slow to develop, bu tdon't see that elsewhere around the league in recruits like Larsen, Nelson-Ododa, Clayton and Hare. I recall many saying how Manning and Glaze would contribute this year. Manning? No. Glaze? Not really in terms of stats but maybe in the emotional contributions we all can read about in Timmerman's article today. Emotion is nice but if it doesn't put the ball through the hoops enough times to outscore the opposition, blah on emotion. Grandy's offensive game is limited to the area defined by the charge arc under the hoop right now. Which will put him and his man in the Beast's operating room and limit available space.

Frankly, I feel very good about next year. The nucleus of McCall, Jett, Evans, Loe, Barnett, Glaze and Manning is pretty damn good. I think if the A10 stays intact for next year as is this year, based on who's returning, the preseason pundits will have either us or VCU as the favorites. With challenges expected from Xavier, St. Joe's and La Salle. The problem is as roy points out, what happens the year after that.

To be continued .......

moy and NH are banking on Manning for next year. All I'm asking is based on what? I've heard big men are slow to develop, bu tdon't see that elsewhere around the league in recruits like Larsen, Nelson-Ododa, Clayton and Hare. I recall many saying how Manning and Glaze would contribute this year. Manning? No. Glaze? Not really in terms of stats but maybe in the emotional contributions we all can read about in Timmerman's article today. Emotion is nice but if it doesn't put the ball through the hoops enough times to outscore the opposition, blah on emotion. Grandy's offensive game is limited to the area defined by the charge arc under the hoop right now. Which will put him and his man in the Beast's operating room and limit available space.

I think it's pretty obvious that Manning has a good skillset. A good looking shot, a nice little hook, he runs well, he's confident and he's physical. He's been a little slow to pick up the defense and has had some bad shooting days, but I have not doubt that he'll be a key player next year based on his skillset. Also, we're thin up front, so he's gonna be thrown in the fire regardless.

Brian made a very good point in the La Salle GDT re: Glaze. Our offense seems to run much smoother when he's out there. The kid is emotional, energetic, a good finisher around the bucket (maybe our best in terms of efficiency) and seems to know the offense. He does get lost on defense, but that is something that can be corrected.

My issue for next year is that we don't have a Cory Remekun type player. We have no one in height between GG/DE and JM/RL.

Hakim Saintil 2013 PG was name dropped on BillikenReport.com discussing the Billikens. On Rivals.com there are 9 schools mentioned that he is considering, none being SLU.

Anyone finally get a hold of the name of the big who was in attendance at the LaSalle game?

reeves.jpg

I put in a search for JUCO big and SLU and the name Lucas Stivrins came up. Not sure if this is the guy everyone saw or not but he is being recruited by SLU according to the Yahoo rivals page: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Lucas-Stivrins-144809.

Lucas Stivrins is white. Pretty sure the guy in the picture earlier in this thread was not...

Marquette enrolls their jucos into a "communication studies" program. The cirriculum reminds me of your local GED class. I would imagine most juco's offer (and load basketball players up on) basic communication type classes.

I am not sure what majors SLU has that are throw aways such as that.

Most state schools can slide juco guys under a PE major.

It would behoove the university to add some sort of athlete-friendly program, especially if we jump to the Big East. Marquette is clearly doing what it takes to be competitive.

Not the guy I saw. Stivrns is white.

I noticed that after going to the roster page of his community college. Either way, it looks like a recruit we are going after and a name I haven't seen in the past. Guess we still need to do some digging to figure out the other guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't read through the whole thread, so it might have already been talked about, and I know it has been before, but I really think we need to be all in on guys like Barnett from CBC and Jayson Tatum.

Having a bit more permanence in our coaching situation might help on those fronts, but if our program continues to improve, it might become "cool" for top STL recruits to stay and play for SLU.

Sounds like he could contribute

POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. --- Men’s basketball wrapped-up its regular season on Saturday afternoon with an important win. The Raiders defeated visiting Highland Community College, 76-67, at Gene Bess Court, improving to 15-14 on the season and giving loyal Three Rivers fans much to cheer about.

Despite a nagging leg injury, Ibrahim Djambo started Saturday’s game against the Cougars and played a full 28 minutes, dominating the court with a game-high 29 points and 11 rebounds. It was Djambo’s 11th double-double of the season, and his gutsy performance helped secure a .500 or better season-finish for a Raiders’ team that has never, in program history, finished with a record under .500.

Ten of Djambo’s 29 points came from the free-throw line where he shot an impressive 83 percent. As a team, the Raiders shot 76 percent from the charity stripe, and 45 percent from the field.

In the game, the Raiders fell behind early, trailing by as much as 11 points in the first half. But the team regained the edge just before halftime, going into the locker room with a two-point advantage over the Cougars, 33-31. The lead changed hands several times to start the second half before Three Rivers went on a 15-0 run to solidify its lead midway through the half, 53-39. From there, the Raiders never looked back.

Eljie Johnson had a strong game off the bench for the Raiders, scoring 12 points, snagging 2 boards and making 1 assist. Johnson made back-to-back lay-ups to the spark the Raiders’ second-half comeback run.

Highland, which competes in the NJCAA’s Region IV, fell to 23-5 on the season after the upset.