Recruiting - 2013

Hudson Price is off the board. He picked TCU over SLU

He is just one, but this is what concerns me. We are now "in" on some nice recruits/transfers, but being "in" on a kid gets you nowhere if you can't close the deal. Right now our 2013 recruiting class consists of a player who was not offered by anyone else. Ouch

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not worried about landing top 100 recruits. X has landed a few, but Gonzaga, Butler and VCU have been built pretty much without them. The key is finding the players that are just outside that group that are willing to play a team game and will be around for four years.

He is just one, but this is what concerns me. We are now "in" on some nice recruits/transfers, but being "in" on a kid gets you nowhere if you can't close the deal. Right now our 2013 recruiting class consists of a player who was not offered by anyone else. Ouch

As soon as Biondi gets back, the interim staff will have the authorization to officially extend scholarship offers. It's just a formality, Biondi has to sign the paperwork.

Knowing that we are going to get in the Big East would really help too. Even though TCU is a sh!tty program, they can sell that they are in the Big 12.

As soon as Biondi gets back, the interim staff will have the authorization to officially extend scholarship offers. It's just a formality, Biondi has to sign the paperwork.

Knowing that we are going to get in the Big East would really help too. Even though TCU is a sh!tty program, they can sell that they are in the Big 12.

I'd be shocked to find out we can't oiffer

I'd be shocked to find out we can't oiffer

I should have used the blue font (sarcasm)

But seriously, Why in the hell did May and Biondi not work this before the Big Guy went overseas? Whenever May knew that Crews is the guy he wanted to offer, a little conversation like this could have happened...

May: Father, after the season ends my first choice would be to offer Jim Crews the job.

Biondi: Who? Oh, the interim guy? When does basketball season end?

May: Well it depends on how many games we play in the NCAA Tournament.

Biondi: The NCAA What?

May: They have a big tournament at the end of the season. It's very popular on tv. It could end for our team any time from mid-March or early April.

Biondi: Well, if it is mid March, I am going to be overseas.

May: IF it is mid-March, can we go ahead and settle on what kind of contract and how many years we can offer Jim Crews?

Biondi: Yes, get Doc Chaifetz on the phone and find out how much $$$ he cony pony up.

May (After talking to Doc): Father, what if we offer him $X for X number of years.

Biondi: Can we wait until I get back. That's a lot of money. Besides, I want to be at any press conference.

May: But Father, I think it is important that we act quickly to show that we are strongly behind Jim Crews and ready to have him lead this program. Also, there is a lot of important business to do immediately following the season, most notably recruiting. It is important that kids we are recruiting know with some certainty who the head coach is going to be. Also, IF Crews says no, then I can at least begin the process of the coaching search. There is some sense of urgency in getting this resolved as soon after the season as possible.

Biondi: Wait until I get back. No important decisions can be made while I am out town.

May (mumbles under his breathe): I can see why Levick left.

We could still bring in JM, GG, JB, McBroom and Drew off the bench. Certainly not as dynamic as our bench this year, but I'm not yet ready to concede that it would be falling off the cliff.

Don't forget Mike Crawford. I can't see why he isn't at least 50 percent chance at being better than kevin Lisch was. He's got 4" on him and has the same gym rat kind of approach. KL still kickin' it down under;

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/o87n8nzboksn1ngz4852kg8lg

I never completely understood how a horrible team can sell to players based on their conference.

TCU really? They won TWO conference games. Best OCC win is UAB with an RPI of 145. I figure their pitch went something like this: "Hey come to TCU, maybe we can double our conference wins from last year!"

Don't forget Mike Crawford. I can't see why he isn't at least 50 percent chance at being better than kevin Lisch was. He's got 4" on him and has the same gym rat kind of approach. KL still kickin' it down under;

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/o87n8nzboksn1ngz4852kg8lg

Might he compare more to Scott Highmark than to Lisch?

I should have used the blue font (sarcasm)

But seriously, Why in the hell did May and Biondi not work this before the Big Guy went overseas? Whenever May knew that Crews is the guy he wanted to offer, a little conversation like this could have happened...

May: Father, after the season ends my first choice would be to offer Jim Crews the job.

Biondi: Who? Oh, the interim guy? When does basketball season end?

May: Well it depends on how many games we play in the NCAA Tournament.

Biondi: The NCAA What?

May: They have a big tournament at the end of the season. It's very popular on tv. It could end for our team any time from mid-March or early April.

Biondi: Well, if it is mid March, I am going to be overseas.

May: IF it is mid-March, can we go ahead and settle on what kind of contract and how many years we can offer Jim Crews?

Biondi: Yes, get Doc Chaifetz on the phone and find out how much $$$ he cony pony up.

May (After talking to Doc): Father, what if we offer him $X for X number of years.

Biondi: Can we wait until I get back. That's a lot of money. Besides, I want to be at any press conference.

May: But Father, I think it is important that we act quickly to show that we are strongly behind Jim Crews and ready to have him lead this program. Also, there is a lot of important business to do immediately following the season, most notably recruiting. It is important that kids we are recruiting know with some certainty who the head coach is going to be. Also, IF Crews says no, then I can at least begin the process of the coaching search. There is some sense of urgency in getting this resolved as soon after the season as possible.

Biondi: Wait until I get back. No important decisions can be made while I am out town.

May (mumbles under his breathe): I can see why Levick left.

Or May says, "Father, you don't happen to have Cheryly Levick's number on your smartphone, do you?

Saw where Rodney Purvis is transferring from NC State. We should get him.

p.s. Sarcasm intended.

Speaking of Purvis, I read that the only schools he is not permitted to transfer to are other ACC teams, plus Cincinnati and SPUMAC. That is the second time some random school doesn't want a player to transfer to SPUMAC. It happened last year with Pitt and Khem Birch. Haith must have quite a reputation ($$$$).

Speaking of Purvis, I read that the only schools he is not permitted to transfer to are other ACC teams, plus Cincinnati and SPUMAC. That is the second time some random school doesn't want a player to transfer to SPUMAC. It happened last year with Pitt and Khem Birch. Haith must have quite a reputation ($$$$).

If you continued reading in the article you would have read the reason he is not allowed to speak to Mizzou is because they are beginning a non-conference series with the school.

Trey Zeigler is transferring from Pitt. I think he was once a teammate of McBroom at Central Michigan? Was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school but has had some problems and has already transferred twice.

Of course since he has the slightest connection to SLU, we are now recruiting him and if we don't get him, it's a failure for the coaching staff.