why so quiet on the athletic director search

one would think that by now there would be rumblings, rumors, sightings of true candidates for the position.

There is not much going on right now so they probably don't feel a sense of urgency.I don't know if Costas is involved but his HBO series is about over. He's probably been in NY. They also just went through graduation. My guess is they have been soliciting applications.

Most candidates and/or interested people simply don't want their names publicized. There is only one winner and nobody wants to listed as an unsuccessful candidate, or a person who didn't even make it to the final round of three or four.

My guess is that SLU will get 25-30 resumes or recommended names of which 10 or so will be legitimate/serious candidates. The list of 10 gets cut to three or four and then things get real serious with on-campus interviews lasting a day or two for each of the finalist. Fr. Biondi will probably interview two or three people, comparing notes with the selection committee and the interview panels, and then make his selection.

Roy the AD search will be a stealth one, as canidates prefer to be low level profiles. It can be embarrassing for other schools, and only one gets hired. This is why Doug was not jumping up and down during his searches, even though he was a dedicated suitor for the job in three out of his four canidacies.

He was only offered the job a week ago, so I think we have to give it some time. I would doubt the search committee is firm at this point. I am sure SLU will want a competent search committee and that will require people who just cannot stop on a whim. I am sure if they try to get folks of the caliber of Costas, it will take a little time for him to clear his schedule and devote the time in finding us the best AD.

Recently, I was on a search committee for dean of a local university. It took forever to get that first meeting scheduled. Prior to the first meeting you have to allow several weeks for the resumes to role in. Also, before that first meeting you try to weed out the applicants who are really not qualified and do preliminary background checks on your finalists so you do not waste the search committee's time.

i believe dr ross also headed the search committee for coach soderberg. he is a man of integrity and definitely has the priorities in order when considering any steps at slu. great choice!

Roy, I'm almost positive that Dr. Ross teaches mainly graduate students, but he does teach a section of the Intro to Psychology course each Fall. I had him for that class my first semester at SLU, and he was a very good teacher. I just thought that this info might be of some benefit to you since your son will be starting at SLU soon.