Carter and Valpo

bauman

Wonder how Carter is enjoying reading about/watching his former team climb the rankings. With KM gone next year he would have gotten plenty of PT, if he was any good. It will be interesting to watch his results at Valpo.

To paraphrase Julia Roberts, "Big mistake, Huge."

I don't wish ill on the kid but I do have to wonder what he was thinking. Any freshman or sophomore is looking at potential for big minutes in the coming years. And if this conference move happens, he is giving up a lot for more minutes in the short term.

-it is my understanding the kid came to SLU to play for Rick, he can't do that so he left, it happens

Yes... but this can be said of every new recruit when a new head coach is installed. A few names stand out in my head. Grawer coached the freshman class of Highmark, Claggett, Winfield, Bickel, Grant and Grawer. After Rich Grawer and Lee Winfield left, they took their kids. Then, Bickel I believe enrolled at UMSL. As such, it easy to say that Claggett and Highmark were Grawer recruits but credit needs to be given ALSO to Spoon for re-recruiting/keeping Claggett and Highmark as they were all but gone: Highmark possibly to Mizzou and Claggett was on his way to Northern Iowa. Same thing with Romar re-recruiting and getting both Justin Love and Marquee Perry to honor their commitments to Spoon. If memory again is correct, I recall Justin Love saying that it was easy to stay at SLU with Romar b/c Romar and Pepperdine had been either his second (or close thereto) choice behind SLU and Spoon.

Likewise, Crews deserves credit for keeping RM's whole team from last year as well as re-recruiting Drew and McBroom. I am not trying to hammer Crews for Carter's departure but it should be noted as a negative (not a complete pass) if I am giving Crews credit for keeping Drew, McBroom and the others.

I think we play at Valpo next year.

I believe you're right. But Carter will probably have to sit out the first semester, right? He played a couple games in the first semester here, so I imagine as long as he hit the transfer deadline, this semester currently counts toward his year of sitting.

Either way, that will be an easy road trip. I'm in.

I checked out his Twitter feed one day to see how he was dealing with SLU's success. Turns out he was tweeting and re-tweeting a whole bunch of good things about SLU. I honestly just think he came here for Majerus and once that taken away he had no idea what to do. That caused a lot of problems and he needed to move on. I wish him well.

I don't wish ill on the kid but I do have to wonder what he was thinking. Any freshman or sophomore is looking at potential for big minutes in the coming years. And if this conference move happens, he is giving up a lot for more minutes in the short term.

Yeah, I don't know what in the hell the kid was thinking. If he thought he was a star and could get a shot in the Big 10 then I could get it, but Valpo? I think he had a real opportunity to start here next year at the point, which would have allowed Jordair to continue to kick a$$ coming off the bench. Maybe he is the type of kid that feels like he needs a lot of minutes and was surprised at how good MM, JJ and McBroom are. Maybe he didn't want to fight for playing time? Remember, when he committed, we were coming off a bad season and McBroom had not entered the picture. I wonder if that was a factor?

IMO, McBroom will be a big key next year. If he can step in and continue to give us three really good guards, we will still be in good shape in the backcourt. From what I can gather Carter is more of a point guard and McBroom more of a scoring guard, even though they are each capable of playing both positions.

-it is my understanding the kid came to SLU to play for Rick, he can't do that so he left, it happens
Rick isn't at Valpo...

I have no ill will toward the kid. I think he made a big mistake. I think he knows he made a big mistake. I also think that the decision was based on a very emotional couple of weeks (injury, death, game loss's) and the 18y.o. was getting extremely poor advice when he needed it most. No evidence to support the last statement, but I've heard the rumors...

I am excited to see McBroom. Here is a bio from the SLU page. The kid is an athlete.

2011-12 • Freshman | at Central Michigan
Named to the Mid-American Conference All-Freshman team after averaging 10.9 ppg and a team-best 2.7 assists per game ... started 30 of 31 games for the Chippewas ... one of the squad's top 3-point shooters, nailing 56 treys while shooting 42 percent from the arc ... led CMU in scoring on five occasions and scored in double figures 19 times, including a career-high 20 points against Bowling Green in the MAC Tournament ... in conference statistics, he ranked fifth in free-throw percentage (.816) and 3-point field goal percentage (.421), 11th in 3-pointers made (1.8 per game) and 23rd in scoring ... finished second in the league in scoring among freshmen ... his free-throw mark of 86 percent in league games ranked second in the MAC.

Prep
Heralded three-sport athlete at Campbell Hall School in North Hollywood, Calif., also playing football and baseball ... averaged 25.1 ppg his senior season en route to being named first-team All-CIF Division 3AA ... All-State selection in both basketball and football ... as a freshman, played on the Vikings' state championship team that also featured former UCLA guard and current Philadelphia 76er Jrue Holiday ... was a running back on the football team and played shortstop on the baseball squad

I am excited to see McBroom. Here is a bio from the SLU page. The kid is an athlete.

Named to the Mid-American Conference All-Freshman team after averaging 10.9 ppg and a team-best 2.7 assists per game ... started 30 of 31 games for the Chippewas ... one of the squad's top 3-point shooters, nailing 56 treys while shooting 42 percent from the arc ... led CMU in scoring on five occasions and scored in double figures 19 times, including a career-high 20 points against Bowling Green in the MAC Tournament ... in conference statistics, he ranked fifth in free-throw percentage (.816) and 3-point field goal percentage (.421), 11th in 3-pointers made (1.8 per game) and 23rd in scoring ... finished second in the league in scoring among freshmen ... his free-throw mark of 86 percent in league games ranked second in the MAC.

Prep

Heralded three-sport athlete at Campbell Hall School in North Hollywood, Calif., also playing football and baseball ... averaged 25.1 ppg his senior season en route to being named first-team All-CIF Division 3AA ... All-State selection in both basketball and football ... as a freshman, played on the Vikings' state championship team that also featured former UCLA guard and current Philadelphia 76er Jrue Holiday ... was a running back on the football team and played shortstop on the baseball squad

dude, i totally forgot about mcbroom. i think he'll bring it. and i always love multi-sport shortstops. because i was one (). way excited for him to play next year. hell, barnett will probably be a stud for us next year.

i just feel bad for carter for the terrible decision he made. we're seriously going to be all you fuoking hear about until we win the championship in april, and he's going to have to live with knowing he passed that up. oh well, you snooze, you lose.

Yes... but this can be said of every new recruit when a new head coach is installed. A few names stand out in my head. Grawer coached the freshman class of Highmark, Claggett, Winfield, Bickel, Grant and Grawer. After Rich Grawer and Lee Winfield left, they took their kids. Then, Bickel I believe enrolled at UMSL. As such, it easy to say that

That was one of the coolest recruiting classes. Little help from Seniors but I seem to recall that he had 4/5's of the Metro first team With Grawer,Winfield,Claggett, and Scotty. I love getting All Metro locals. Most years I think all metro squad would make very competitive D1 team. If those four were able to play 4 years together would of been interesting. If I was king athletic scholarships would be restricted to instate.

Prep

Based on our previous experience with MAC transfers, he'll average 0.2 ppg next year and play only in mop-up duty.

My father has sat in on a couple practices this season. From his observations McBroom can really shoot it from deep with anybody on the team. He's also faster than everyone. He plays too quick though, not as sure with the ball as our other guards. Not as physical either, though this may be our most physical group of guards we've ever had. He'll get more PT than Jake did last year.

My father has sat in on a couple practices this season. From his observations McBroom can really shoot it from deep with anybody on the team. He's also faster than everyone. He plays too quick though, not as sure with the ball as our other guards. Not as physical either, though this may be our most physical group of guards we've ever had. He'll get more PT than Jake did last year.

If he is faster than McCall, that is really saying something. Getting to play against such great competition in practice, should prepare him well.

McBroom will also lead the team in self-photos taken in the bathroom mirror and posted to Twitter.