Sounds like Crews has the job

HenryB

Majerus didn't have a job at one of the best schools in the country when we hired him. Yeah, Stallings might be on the hot seat if he has another bad season. He won't and currently he isn't in any trouble.

Johnson is the current version of Pat Kennedy. Keeps taking a step down job before he gets canned from the job he previously held.

True, but thanks to the recent success RM built plus the possibility of joining the Big East, the job is now MUCH better than the one RM stepped into. Other coaches have left a year before the hot seat started getting hotter. The SEC is worse than the current A-10 and will be much worse than the new Big East. Many on here thought we were crazy to think we could get Majerus and some now will also believe it is crazy to think we could get Stallings. Some good coaches stay in one spot too long. Maybe Stallings is tired of being in a league where NONE of the other schools give a crap about academics. Maybe being in a conference with more like-minded institutions will appeal to him. Also, in the short-term, he will have a better chance to succeed here next year than he will at Vandy. It is worth a call.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and i guess you didnt read where i said, "the jury is still out on bronson".

again, if rickma had this long list of successful protege's i might take that strong endorsement better. my belief is rickma hired to augment his own weaknesses and areas he could free himself up for tasks he felt were more important. for all we know his like of bronson was he was good at handling administrative tasks, or setting up travel arrangements or tracking the ncaa recruiting documentation. or maybe he indeed thought he would be the next shaka.

right now i feel we need a recruiter deluxe asap. there is none proven on our staff.

That's not what RM said about him repeatedly in interviews. He said he was a future head coach. If he was viewed as an administrator he would have stayed a DOB. There are two other assistants on a staff... plenty of opportunities to find two good proven recruiters. Besides, we know for a fact that we have been hosting a lot of local junior recruits. I'm sure Bronson has developed some relationships with these folks. Of the current staff, he is the one it makes the most sense to keep.

That's not what RM said about him repeatedly in interviews. He said he was a future head coach. If he was viewed as an administrator he would have stayed a DOB. There are two other assistants on a staff... plenty of opportunities to find two good proven recruiters. Besides, we know for a fact that we have been hosting a lot of local junior recruits. I'm sure Bronson has developed some relationships with these folks. Of the current staff, he is the one it makes the most sense to keep.

I'd also like to see Downtown Danny Brown stick around.

What is your reasoning?

He wore the Billiken blue... he knows what it's like to be in the program. Would be a terrific asset...kinda like WoJo and Collins at Dook.

Some posters at the end of that article brought up a very good point about Crews record at USMA. It is extremely difficult to recruit there for numerous reasons. Crews began coaching there the year OIF started. So the sell is come here play basketball and when you graduate you owe us 5 years in combat. I hold coaches responsible for all things but these are some extraordinary obstacles to overcome.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bobby Metzinger" data-cid="349447" data-time="1362526142"><p>

<br />

He wore the Billiken blue... he knows what it's like to be in the program. Would be a terrific asset...kinda like WoJo and Collins at Dook. </p></blockquote>

Any other reasons?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BACKHANDtheRICAN" data-cid="349461" data-time="1362537799"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bobby Metzinger" data-cid="349447" data-time="1362526142"><p><br />

<br /><br />

He wore the Billiken blue... he knows what it's like to be in the program. Would be a terrific asset...kinda like WoJo and Collins at Dook. </p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Any other reasons?</p></blockquote>

I just think he's going to be a great coach and this would be the best place for him to soak everything up, especially under the tutaledge of a coach like Crews.

What other reasons do I need to have?

Don't forget "lateral" moves or even what could be considered "lesser moves" within BCS conferences.

Bob Huggins left Kansas State (Big XII) for W. Va (Big East) where West Va had never been been known for their basketball. Yes, it was/is his Alma Mater but who saw this coming? Another one, here locally, was Mike Anderson leaving Mizzou (Big XII) for Arkansas (SEC) which many thought was a move to a lesser program.

And what are both of them doing now? Hell mizzery beat arkansas by 30 tonight.

• 6 years later...
On 3/5/2013 at 9:24 AM, Clock_Tower said:

DeSmet. I agree with the approach that you, Skip and others suggest: that we continue the national search and that we test the market. If Jim Crews turns out to the best coach available, I am fine with that. But to hand him the keys based upon how he has run RM's veteran team would be a major mistake.

A Bomb. The fact that Jim Crews is able do well with a veteran team tells me that Crews has earned the respect of the guys in the locker and that he has the skills to coach and motivate current players. It certainly is a positive which cannot be ignored. To his credit, I would certainly say that Jim Crews now appears to be in control of this team. I was the at the Santa Clara game and Coach Crews was completely lost -- deer in the headlights confused. The guys did not play hard, well or smart. Timeouts were not called. No change of strategy was made. When stoppages did occur, not much positive appeared to come out of the stoppage of action. These past two (2) months, the play of the team and the actions of Jim Crews on this sidelines has greatly changed my opinion on this aspect of coaching. At the same time, his prior 35 years of coaching should also not be ignored. Remember, though, that success this year says absolutely nothing about his ability to recruit, to develop players, to hire/manage coaches and to otherwise run the basketball program. Sorry, but I am underwhelmed by Crews' hire of his friend Jim Platt. And sorry, but KC was a real talent and while he may have been a knucklehead and may have been fed bad advice, our head coach needs to be able to handle, impress, motivate and console AAU prima donnas -- that's part of the job. If Crews is retained, we will be good/fine next year but the year after (our first in the new Big East, could be a real disaster if we cannot land guys this Spring!!).

Let me ask it this way. Does anyone think paying Jim Crews $1.5 million to $2 million per year is too much? If so, I'd suggest this is proof that Jim Crews is not the right hire.

+2

On 3/5/2013 at 9:50 AM, Clock_Tower said:

McCarthy. With each post, you actually make my point.

First, as pointed out, this is 2013 -- not the 1980s or 1990s!!

Second, here is Jim Crews' body of work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crews

As you can see, he made it to to the NCAA Tourney only 4 times in his entire career and only made it past the first round (to the second round) one time!! Since 1993 (20 years ago!!), Crews has been to the NCAA Tourney only once -- 1989 -- which was another first round loss despite having the first place team from the MVC. The rest of his time with the MVC, Jim Crews (from 1994 to 2002), Crews finished 5th, tied for 5th, tied for 4th, 6th, 6th, 6th and then tied for 9th before being fired in 2002. Overall at Evansville, Crews was 294 wins and 209 losses -- that's a .584 winning percentage!! Thereafter, he coached Army for 7 years (no one held a gun to his head and made him coach there) and posted a record of 59 wins and 140losses with the assistance of Jim Platt.

Third, I can name around a few hundred guys who can claim the same title of being a "Bobby Knight disciple". Not impressed with that argument but I'll take Bobby Knight himself for the next 5 years!!

Fourth, Brad Soderberg was a failure here so if your argument is that Jim Crews is better than Soderberg, my response is: I sure hope so!!

Fifth, the RM coaching tree is not as impressive as you might think it is.

Sixth, be careful of comments made oppposing coaches. For instance, I would expect every A10 coach who visits Philly to say wonderful things about Phil Martelli, the dean of A10 coaches, the 2004 National Coach of the Year.... As a Bills fan, I hope St. Joe's signs him up for another 5 years --- to ensure 5 more years of winning by our Bills!!

+3

On 3/5/2013 at 3:20 PM, Clock_Tower said:

You're right about Jim Crews winning right now. And I'll go one futher and say that we should win in similar fashion next year to what we are doing this year. In that sense, Crews is not just inheriting a team for this year only. Yes, we lose KM, CE and CR but we return all the rest (along with marginal improvements by all) who would probably play better next year for Crews (using the same system as this year) than if we bring in a new coach with a new system, etc. Therefore, Crews is not just winning this year but he/we should win next year as well -- especially if Butler and X leave the A10.

By then, we should know if Crews is able to replace this year's class and next year's class. If not, we are in deep trouble with with a coach who has 4 years left on his contract!! Now, if the decision is made to go with Crews (and all already know my thoughts on this subject), then I sure hope we sign him with a 5 year contract (which he can tell recruits) but that it contains a minimal buyout clause based upon poor performance.

+4

Oh, my God, more of the old Crews garbage. Just let it go, let him sink into the muck and be forgotten. What is next? situation 2. Are we going to review all the trials and tribulations that have beset the Bills for a long long time? Is this the plan?

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You are right!  This kind of junk is like the off season posts. Looks like a number of people have given up on the Bills.

I'm in serious withdrawal waiting a whole week between games.  This blows.